Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Trails as marketing aids

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found a property with 5 acres and a dilapidated run down house for $35,000. It is about 2 miles from a trail in southern Wisconsin. I'd say being by a trail is the only reason I've looked into the property.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keithert
I've found a property with 5 acres and a dilapidated run down house for $35,000. It is about 2 miles from a trail in southern Wisconsin. I'd say being by a trail is the only reason I've looked into the property.

Are you still going to have to trailer the two miles to the trail?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
Are you still going to have to trailer the two miles to the trail?
If it's like most of Wisconsin he will. DNR guys in Wisconsin are VERY firm on their ATV trail rules. If they catch you riding in an area not designated as an ATV trail or an ATV route, you are going to get a ticket - even if you were only on if for a hundred yards.

Years ago we parked in a lot that was right on the border between Jackson and Clark counties. Jackson trails were closed that day but Clark county was open. The parking lot was actually in Jackson county but it gave access to both trail systems. However, the access point from the lot first touched a Jackson County trail - turn right and you stayed in Jackson County, turn left and a few feet away you were in Clark County. We rode all day, got back, loaded up and then got nailed by a ranger. The only thing that saved us from getting a ticket (for each ATV, and we had 4) was that we were already tied down. While he 'knew' that we had been riding, he couldn't prove that we hadn't just arrived to unload. So we took his suggestion as to where to find a parking lot that gave full access to Clark County trails only and left.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Road riding legal in much of Wisconsin

Many townships in Northern Wisconsin allow you to ride on town roads, and more are opening all the time. A state law allows snowmobilers to ride on roads (even state highways I think) from their place of lodging to the nearest designated trail. It sounds like something resort owners got passed. They haven't gotten around to applying that to ATV'ers yet. I hope at least some parts of Minnesota have similar regulations.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
Many townships in Northern Wisconsin allow you to ride on town roads, and more are opening all the time. A state law allows snowmobilers to ride on roads (even state highways I think) from their place of lodging to the nearest designated trail. It sounds like something resort owners got passed. They haven't gotten around to applying that to ATV'ers yet. I hope at least some parts of Minnesota have similar regulations.
It's how a lot of Maine is going up our way. You can drive to gas, food, lodging, and more. They've really embraced ATVers for the most part and pretty soon the whole state will be interconnected with the possible exception of the Northern area above Moosehead Lake. There's not really much up there but trees.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60

Minnesota (up north, anyway...) allows riding on county and city roads, but not state. You can even ride down town Thief River Falls and most other small towns.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

dee you should have contacted me about this thread beings i live up here, SHAME ON YOUR LOL anyways i live in roseau county which is in nw mn and i am thinking you are looking at going to roseau or lake of the woods country or somewhere close? anyways we have done alot of work and we can legally ride atv's on all gravel roads and all secondary highways. also the border patrol isn't as **** as they were 2 years ago about getting close to the border, trust me on this i have stories. the dnr isn't as **** anymore about having mud on the tires. if you have any questions please feel free to im me.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by weez440
dee you should have contacted me about this thread beings i live up here, SHAME ON YOUR LOL anyways i live in roseau county which is in nw mn and i am thinking you are looking at going to roseau or lake of the woods country or somewhere close? anyways we have done alot of work and we can legally ride atv's on all gravel roads and all secondary highways. also the border patrol isn't as **** as they were 2 years ago about getting close to the border, trust me on this i have stories. the dnr isn't as **** anymore about having mud on the tires. if you have any questions please feel free to im me.

My bad!!!