Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Action Alert - Oppose new Wilderness Areas

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002 | 01:12 AM
|
Pro Rider

Greens are poised to push for more Wilderness Areas in California. Bills are headed for Congress soon. Take action to stop them now before you lose your right to access public lands:

New Proposed Wilderness Areas

Old 04-11-2002 | 02:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

Online petition added. Take a moment to sign it.

Jon

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Crowley-Thanks for all your land access posts!!! I used to think that just because an area had roads, it was immune to wilderness designation. Well, there are plenty of areas in the Mojave Desert which are now wilderness, where I drove around all my life. First they close the roads, then they cover it over, and plant some brush and call it "roadless wilderness". Or they will make a corridor for the road, but invariably, they will designate the road for "street legal vehicles" only.

This really is counter productive for everybody. It makes one want to tear a$$ around all over the place and "ruin" it, so they can NEVER come along later and try and call it "roadless".

Old 04-18-2002 | 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Jon,
Good luck in your fight..what affects you folks in CA., will eventually affect us in FL. we all need to support each other in this fight..I'd be happy to sign the petition.

Old 04-25-2002 | 01:20 AM
|
Pro Rider

Furor over Cache Creek designation

April 24, 2002

By UCILIA ****
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

LAKE COUNTY

LAKEPORT -- A plan to give added protection to some federal land in Lake County drew resistance Tuesday from county supervisors.

Concerns about losing access to water prompted the objection to Sen. Barbara Boxer's proposal to include about 42,000 acres around Cache Creek in a bill to designate millions of acres throughout the state as federal wilderness areas.

In Lake County, some residents are still angry about a decision by the Board of Supervisors to sell Yolo County rights to water in Clear Lake nearly a century ago. The current board fears the county would lose more control if the wilderness proposal becomes law.

"I can tell you that I am opposed to anything having to do with Cache Creek," Supervisor Gary Lewis said. "It's too scary to give up our rights. We have enough wilderness areas."

The board voted 4-1 to send a letter opposing a wilderness designation for Cache Creek. Supervisor Ed Robey cast the dissenting vote.

Robey also supports an 11,500-acre expansion of the Snow Mountain Wilderness Area in the Mendocino National Forest, which is likely to be included in Boxer's legislation.

The board didn't take a position on that provision.

All of the land under consideration already belongs to the federal government.

Lake County supervisors said they fear that wilderness protection would make it more difficult to build dams, reservoirs or other facilities along Cache Creek, which is the outlet for Clear Lake.

The county has no current plans to develop water from Cache Creek.

North Coast residents have flooded public meetings in the past year as Boxer's staff and the environmental groups supporting her effort presented her vision of what should be included in the legislation.

The bill, which is still being drafted, is scheduled for introduction in Congress in May, said Tom Bohigian, assistant state director for Boxer.

Wilderness designation is given to federal land that has retained its natural characteristics. It protects the land from development, such as oil drilling, road building and logging.

People can ride horses, hike and hunt in wilderness areas, but they can't mountain bike or use off-road vehicles.

"I support the expansion of wilderness areas because they are a place for solitude," Bill Knispel, an agricultural consultant and hunter, said at the board meeting. "It's also a reservoir for game and a free and quality place to hunt."

Critics said the designation would prevent many people from enjoying land that is maintained by tax dollars.

"Giving up our rights to the government is a one-way trip," said Randy Ridgel, a Kelseyville resident. "We are about to give the federal government the right for us to enter those areas."

Other North Coast areas being considered include the King Range in Humboldt County and land surrounding the Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness, which crosses Mendocino, Trinity and Shasta counties.

Boxer isn't considering any areas in Sonoma County.

Her bill, which could include up to 2.5 million acres, would be the largest expansion of wilderness areas in the state since the 1994 California Desert Protection Act, which was sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

The Desert Protection Act gave special status to 7 million acres of land, doubling the size of the state's wilderness areas.

Boxer's bill also would ask for the "wild and scenic" designation for eligible rivers in the state. The designation would prevent development such as dam building and prohibit major diversions.

Black Butte River in Mendocino County could be included, according to an environmental coalition working with Boxer on the legislation.

In Lake County, proponents initially wanted to designate Cache Creek as "wild and scenic," but dropped the idea after hearing strong opposition from Lake and Yolo County.

You can reach Staff Writer Ucilia **** at 462-6473 or uwang@pressdemocrat.com.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/local/n...erness_b1.html

Old 05-17-2004 | 12:44 PM
Range Rover
Default Action Alert - Oppose new Wilderness Areas

Originally posted by: CrowleyOffroad
Greens are poised to push for more Wilderness Areas in California. Bills are headed for Congress soon. Take action to stop them now before you lose your right to access public lands:

New Proposed Wilderness Areas
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] As you can see I am totally a Newbee here, so this is what I want To post. I and many others oppose the wild sky wilderness act of 2002, '03, and now unforunately '04! This is only the first in a line of proposals the greenies have in line for the state of Washington. I-90 and the Kettle Range will fall into line AFTER W/S passes (heaven forbid!!). Here is a link to the opposition to wild sky. please visit' and feel welcome-we are all in this fight together!!

NO Wild Sky

Old 05-23-2004 | 01:12 PM
Range Rover
Default Action Alert - Oppose new Wilderness Areas

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Read a copy of a letter sent from Resources chair Rep. Pombo regarding New wilderness designations to Rep Rick Larsen (Sponsor of wild lie wilderness) It was great!! It's also long See it at No WildSky