OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

Cap and Trade (Energy Tax)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap and Trade (Energy Tax)

HR 2454 the cap and trade bill is nothing but a huge energy tax on all Americans and if passed would increase the cost of all energy dramatically!
It is projected to cost Americans 846 billion between 2010 and 2019.
In Jan. 2008 Barack H Obama said that under his plan elec. prices would "necessarily skyrocket"!
Rep. John Dingle (D-MI) former head of the house energy & commerce committee said, "nobody in this country realizes that cap and trade is a tax, and it's a great big one!"
By 2050 this bill would reduce the GDP by 2.5% and cause personal consumption to fall by 1-2 Trillion dollars!
Please get in touch with your rep. and congressmen and voice your opposition to this bill!
The sponsors of this piece of cr-p bill are Waxman and Markey.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I suppose it would be a tax if every company polluted too much and needed to buy more credits (hence passing the cost to consumers as a tax per se). But, if a certain percentage of companies had extra credits to sell, wouldn't that reduce energy costs for the clients of that company?

Emissions trading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"There are critics of the methods, mainly environmental justice nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) and movements, who see carbon trading as a proliferation of the free market into public ****es and environmental policy-making"

No, we wouldn't want that, lol.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From what I've read and seen it would cost the average person between $800 to $3000 per year. No one knows for sure. The $800 is the low end I've seen and the $3000 is closer to the averages I've seen. The trouble is the main sponsors don't even know what's in the bill and like so many pieces of recent legislation, are trying to get it passed quickly without scrutiny. Even the bill's sponsors have said it will cost you and me more money.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I hate it that they don't even read the bill they're voting on. Its like those Terms of Use you just have to agree to in order to run a software or sign up for a message board.... Nobody reads those things.

Bills should be restricted to so many words so that a reasonable person could be expected to read it. If you want more words, you'll have to draft a new bill.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I hate it that they don't even read the bill they're voting on. Its like those Terms of Use you just have to agree to in order to run a software or sign up for a message board.... Nobody reads those things.

Bills should be restricted to so many words so that a reasonable person could be expected to read it. If you want more words, you'll have to draft a new bill.
That's why I try not to vote for lawyers.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
From what I've read and seen it would cost the average person between $800 to $3000 per year.
Don't think so. More fantasy numbers by the corporations.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rancher55
HR 2454 the cap and trade bill is nothing but a huge energy tax on all Americans and if passed would increase the cost of all energy dramatically!
You just hearing about this? What's with the sudden outrage? Cap and trade has been talked about for 30+ years. Gotta say the response from the right is fairly typical. Cap and trade is a truly capitalistic way to control pollution.....Yes pollution that you and I breath.....Well actually, if you live in the west, what do you care, you just get to pollute our air and water in the east..... Get this: The idea is it costs them to pollute our air and water. If it costs more, it will happen less. Less pollution = less health care costs, healthier kids, less asthma, possible cancers. Yeah, I care about that.

Call it a tax and call it a piece of cra* bill. What happened to all the communist talk? Do communists promote cap and trade? -Do you actually think the corporations that degrade this kind of legislation give a cra* about you and your water and air? When it costs too much to buy credits, they'll magically find a way to reduce the pollution.

Emissions trading is an approach used to control pollution by providing economic incentives for achieving reductions in the emissions of pollutants. Can a more capitalistic approach be had. Surely it would be a fine way to control pollution if McCain was in office.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
Well actually, if you live in the west, what do you care, you just get to pollute our air and water in the east.....
That's ok... Where do you think all the crap from Asia goes first?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Here in the N.W. we have a little thing called HYDROPOWER,(one of the cleanest ways to make power) we don't burn coal, (one of the dirtiest ways to make power) to make our elec. and in case your thinking, what about all of the car exhaust, well comparatively speaking we in the N.W. pollute far less than the millions back east! We do have a few trouble spots in the west such as LA and Seattle but for the most part we put much less pollution into the air than the easterner's. So don't even try to convince me that your pollution comes from the west!
This Cap and Trade bill is just another way for the government to try and get their hands in the money pot by using FEAR to scare people into beliveing this global warming BS.
If this bill passed and the plan put into effect WORLD WIDE it May reduce the global temp. by 1 degree in the next 40 or 50 years! Are you willing to spend trillions of dollars for 1 degree?
Anything the government can legislate, Private enterprise can probably do better and with less waste!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rancher55
Here in the N.W. we have a little thing called HYDROPOWER,(one of the cleanest ways to make power) we don't burn coal, (one of the dirtiest ways to make power) to make our elec. and in case your thinking, what about all of the car exhaust, well comparatively speaking we in the N.W. pollute far less than the millions back east!
NW is certainly the exception. Hydropower has nothing to worry about with cap and trade. If my family didn't all live in the east, I'd live in the NW. Awesome place.....

GW is BS? OK. Think we've been down the GW road recently, so I'm not going there again. I will say that's it's funny how the right completely dismissed it a few years ago, now it's only 1 degree. Next it will be 2 degrees, then "only 3 degrees"......meanwhile our crops and large portions of our economy evaporate.

Amazing how many average Joes spew corporate America's spin. Corporations contols your party, what do you think they're going to say about something that's going to cost them money...?

Quick Reply: Cap and Trade (Energy Tax)