OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

Cash for flunkers program

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Even more impressive. How does one keep so many machines in tune....

At one time I owned a '79 Honda XR 75 and later a '01 KTM 400 EXC too. KTM when I lived out in Colorado Springs and Truckee, CA. What a blast that thing was. Great desert bike....loved it.
All part of my struggle with moderation...I wish all of them ran...Most do but the Rickman 250 is locked up solid..not sure why and dont have the time or money to find out...Bultaco 250 has not run since 1974 when it was parked...pretty sure I could get it running in a hour or so.. The Rupp minibike is 1/2 way thru its restoration, needs its engine rebuilt and its good to go...The Odyssey hasnt run since 2003 but Im pretty sure it would fire with a hour or so of my time...The XL600 hasnt run in a couple of years either..might take 2 hrs for that one...carbs are a pita to remove...

The rest have run in the last year or so...

My kids(22/24 now) both rode the XR75...it has a 80cc big bore kit and a powroll cam...my nephew rides it about 4-6 times a year now... Did you ever ride the Rubicon while you lived in Truckee? I havnt done that on my KTM yet but the CR500 made the trip a few times... I bought my KTM to use in the woods...perfect bike for me..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
My brother sent this to me and I checked out the math. Groan...

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles, so that's 224 million gallons/year. That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. ' 5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption. And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl. So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million. How good a deal was that???

They'll probably do a great job with health care though!!

WOW

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Just makes you proud of how well our bureaucrats handle our hard earned tax dollars doesn't it?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Just makes you proud of how well our bureaucrats handle our hard earned tax dollars doesn't it?
Living in Ca. you get a proud feeling everyday..

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

So what actually happens if they come back and say you were denied for the program? The vehicle you turned in was supposedly disabled and not to be used again. So do you now owe an extra 3500/4500 dollars? Do they take the new vehicle back and leave you with no transportation?

I've seen a few stories where people had gone back by the dealers they turned their cars in to, and found them on the lot for sale. The government has said in one case I read of, that the dealer never turned it in for the program. Dealer thought the car was in too good of shape to trash, so they just gave them 3500 for trade in. Put it back on the lot for 5999. Since it wasn't turned in, they can do nothing to the dealer.

Brings up an interesting dilemma. If some vehicles are thought to be in too good of shape by the dealer, are they misleading the consumer by just giving them the money and reselling the car? In the case I read, the consumer was never told it wasn't being used on the CARS program. The government has said there is nothing they can do since it was never turned in on their program. But then the same dealer is using a government program to make a profit.

All I know is I'm glad I kept my clunker. Paid for, maintenance is cheap, insurance is cheap and I'm cheap. A perfect match.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GO OBAMA.... wow he has done such a good job. can we have a re-do on the election??? did ya know he was gun salesman of the year... ammo factories have gone to 24 hr opperation to try to keep up with demands and still cant make enough... i think a lot of ppl are having 2nd thoughts bout the choice they made...it sure wasnt me that helped get him in there