HELP!! Nails in my tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Nails in my tires!!!

I went riding today in a new area (to me) and someone was kind enuff to throw nails (with square washers attached...so they kick up and stick into your tires). I got 3 in one front tire, 2 in the other front and 1 in each back tire. Question is can you plug the tires like a regular car tire? The tires are on my new KFX 400 with only 15 hours on it...I'd hate to buy new tires! They are holding air...because I haven' pulled the nails out. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 07-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

You can plug them and you can also throw some Slime in them.....that's a lot of plugs though.....I'd probably worry myself into at least 2 new fronts....

Old 07-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

if it is just holes, try the slime. i had a cut on a brand new tire[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] and the slime wouldnt seal it, but the plug did. was worried about the plug at first, but havent had any problems with it since. hope you know who did it so you can return the favor on thier car[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Plugs rawk. Check my pictures in my profile, I rode that tire all day like that but finally changed it.

I also have 2 plugs in each tire other than that even the one I replaced. Plugs will last a few good rides if you put em in dry then they start to degrade/dry out and seep. Make sure you use the glue when putting them in to make em last the life of the tire

Old 07-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Exactly what rookWV said

and start looking in the catalog for some 6-plys

I have had good luck with plugs and slime.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the help! Thats a relief that I don't have to throw down as much cash to fix the problem. Oh, I will definitely get back the jerk who did this....I have a great idea where to look!

Old 07-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the red/orange colored plugs that are made from a rubber covered rope like stuff. They are $9.00 for 25 at Pep Boys. Get a good plug tool too. Dont cut the excess plug off or it will fall into the tire.

Try to install the plugs dry, If you must use lube use rubber cement or Gasketcinch.

I have ran so many plugs that my tires looked like porky pines! LOL The jeepers fix huge sidewall damage with bunches of them.

I havne't had any luck with the green slime stuff and at $10.00 a tire I feel it was a waste of $$$.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

bring it to your gas station. if its not on the tread it will work. ive done this, i know from experience

Old 07-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I wouldnt relly on your plugged tires to haul you on and 40-50 mile rocky harescrambles. I would just use them for spares.
$10 a tire for slime???? Someone is paying/using too much. I use half the recommended amount, and still have good luck with it. Slime finds holes and seals them, before the air gets out. Ideal for small punctures like nails.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I tried the green slime along with plugs and they're still losing air...they'll go down to around 1-2 pounds. I rode this past weekend for around 4 hours and had to add pressure twice. Oh well, til I can afford new tires they'll have to do! Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: HELP!! Nails in my tires!!!