Why are manuals faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2000, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a blaster and keep hearing how it is really fast, then I hear how automatics keep the engine in it's powerband better. So, why are the manuals faster?
How do accelerate quickly on a manual? When I shift into second, even if I do it quickly, If there is a little incline, I have already lost a lot of speed once it is in second gear. The need for constant shifting during accelaration makes it seem quite slow. (sorry if this question is stupid, i am just curious)

Old 05-24-2000, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

manuals are quicker b/c you can shift when u need it instead of waiting for the transmission to decide that it is ready. With a manual you can also sownshift quickly which will let you get the rpms up going around a turn or going up a hill so that you can pull through it. Also if you feel the bike is sluggish after you shift you might just need to keep the rpms higher and give it an extra rev. Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2000, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Good question. What makes you think the manuals are faster? I own a manual and an automatic and I would say the opposite is true, even assuming an experienced driver on the manual.

Yes you get to decide what gear you are in with the manual but rest assured that your brain and foot are much slower at making and executing shift decisions than the automatic is. The automatic is both torque and ground speed sensitive. In comparison to your brain and foot, the shifting on the automatic is virtually instant. When you come out of that corner with the automatic and come on the throttle, the clutches are right where they should be to get you moving quickly. Given an experienced driver on both machines, I would give the automatic the edge.

DJ

Old 05-25-2000, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I will agree on the auto being quicker. BUT, only if it is set up correctly. I think the stock clutching is not that great. It is geared for recreation, not true performance. Once the clutching is set up correctly, them I belive it is as quick as a full manual, if not quicker. In straight drags, a properly set up auto can beat a manual. (providing they are about the same in HP, weight, and other mods).
Now as for tracks and cornering, I give that to the manuals, not because of the tranny, but because there are no auto trannied quads that handle tracks well in stock form.
As huge a fan I am of Polaris, I don't feel they make anything good for track use, such as a banshee, 400ex, or 250R.

Old 05-25-2000, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

If manual shift trannies are faster than autos
why don't drag racers use them? These sort of
questions have been in the forums before, everyone
knows you can't out shift a machine. I'm an
ex-350X rider with many miles on a manual so I
know an auto is faster.

Old 05-25-2000, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

A tuned automatic will always be faster than a manual clutch. A Polaris CVT can be set up to rev high (like a car's stall converter) off of the line and maintain high RPM's throughout instead of losing a few thousand RPM's at every shift. At the drag races around here they had to make a separate class called "non-shifting" because nothing with a manual clutch could keep up with the modified Polaris'.

Old 05-27-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

hi,
Alot of people confuse a car auto with a Polaris auto. Anyone who isn't sure should learn how a CVT type tranny works. All things being equal, power, traction weight, rider etc. 99% of the time the auto will win in a drag race.