Collarbone Timeline???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003 | 03:12 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Collarbone Timeline???

It's been 4 weeks as of Sunday feeling pretty good. What's "your" timeline as far as waiting to ride again? What's a good rehab exercise for helping the damaged side get back to normal??? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. - Mudfoot

Old 12-20-2003 | 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Collarbone

Collarbone2

HTH....and hope you get 100% and back out on the trails....

Old 12-20-2003 | 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ive not broke anything yet, but my friend went back to riding 2 weeks after he broke his collarbone. I would probably wait 4 weeks and ride easy for another 4 weeks.

Old 12-20-2003 | 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

depends on the type of fracture...need more info.

Old 12-21-2003 | 04:01 AM
|
Pro Rider

When I first broke it, the x-ray shoued it was overlapping itself by about 1.5", after wearing the figure 8 brace for 3 weeks it had lined up pretty good. It's pulled back into place now, just about 1/4" off vertically. Just wondering what the best rehab type of exercise I could start to get ready to ride within a few more weeks. Normal movement is back kinda sluggish when raising both arms at the same time. The V's ready, I just want to make sure I'm back 100% as well, I'm 29 and plan on riding for at least another 40 years(God willing). This is my first breakage in 20+ years riding and it wasn't even a hard crash, just a bad landing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I feel bad because my buddys have not been riding since that day four weeks ago Sunday. I normally organize the bi-monthly riding trips...

Old 12-21-2003 | 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Last time I broke a collar bone I was 15. Had my 50th birthday a month ago. I broke both of them but at different times. That overlap sounds familiar. As far as rehab goes, imobilization with that #$^# figure 8 in place is your best bet for 4 to 6 weeks after the bone is set. After that be very ginger for another 2 to 4 weeks. I know this sounds like forever but if you don't give it enough time now it will be a problem for the rest of your life. If you do something dumb too soon you take a chance of a punctured lung with the rebreak. Been there done that! Yep, it sucks but for your own future good, take your time.

Old 12-21-2003 | 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'd be very careful for a total of 8 weeks. A get off in any landing on your shoulder or such could break it again.. Here's some advise if anybody you know ever breaks a collarbone. Sleep in a recliner. It is waaaaay better then trying to lay down on a bed or couch. We all know how the pain is trying to get up from a flat position or trying to get in the flat position... In a recliner you can use your feet to push down on the footrest to raise your body in an upright positon.

Old 12-22-2003 | 10:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

Sandgod- You aren't kidding about the sleeping issue, the first week sucked. I felt like that old dude in the old Metallica "enter Sandman" video. Whole lotta pillows. The first few nights I would wake up crazy like I was late for work, jerk up outta bed, realize that i didn't have to be to work, and then catch my breath after about jerking my right arm off. That sucked so bad. I think the vicodin got the best of me. Thanks to all for the advise and good wishes, I'll give myself 8-9 weeks before I ride again.

Old 12-25-2003 | 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I broke mine last Thanksgiving and it is still messed up. I have a gap between the ends of the bone and it never healed. The doctor gave me a bone growth machine to wear and if that doesn't work he wants to operate in Feb. It has been a long 13 months.

Old 12-25-2003 | 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

mines been broke for a eek im wearing the figure 8 soft cast right now as i type it feels alright, mine was overlapping about an inch

Quick Reply: Collarbone Timeline???