enclosed trailer with shelf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enclosed trailer with shelf?

hey everybody,
im planning on buying and enclosed atv trailer to hold my 2 v-forces and 2 raptor 80s, but i want the smallest trailer possible. does anyone know if it is possible to build a shelf in the trailer that can hold the raptors(275lbs per bike) so that i can use a ramp to load them up there and have the v forces down below? are there any trailers that have sidewalls strong enought to hold shelves or would i have to build them off the floor of the trailer? any suggestions?
thanx

Old 01-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

1st off you would need a tall trailer. I put a removable shelf 50" above the deck of my enclosed (72" tall inside) so the bikes can fit underneath (barely).
I keep the spare tire, chainsaw, riding gear, clothes and other supplies above. I just used a 2x4 ledger attached to the metal wall studs (1x1) and cut 3/4" plywood to fit (nice because its removable).
However I know this set up wont handle much weight. Most trailers are not built to handle the load you speak of. The 1x1 framing isnt structural,,,,its just meant to carry itself and not much more.
You will either have to custom build one (with stronger framing members), or do some sort of internal framing to support and stiffen the load.

To start measure the height of the tallest bikes (tallest large quad and tallest little quad) to determine how tall the interior height will need to be.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

You could put the 2X4 ledge as posted but also attach a few more 2X4's verticaly to the walls under it that would go to the floor. By runing them to the floor , you take the "load" off the walls and transfer it to the floor. This would suply more weight carying abilities without losing a lot of floor space.
Also..... For the shelf. Go to a builders salvage and pick up a couple of old SOLID core doors (about $10.-$15.). They will be plenty thick for the load you are going to put on them. Just make sure they will be wide enough to run from side to side. A couple of fold out saw horses from Homo Depot and you now have TWO tables for camp/riding gear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just a thought
Jes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]