Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck

That tornado is a friggen joke! You can swirl the air as much as you'd like, soon as it hits the intake manifold whatever "swirl" action you have is gone. It's a friggen gimmick, to relieve idiots of their money. The best you can hope for with a 305 is about 15 MPG. To get that, I'd check all the filters, EGR valve, any obstruction in the exhaust system, use stock sized tires with a smoother tread pattern, and drive the speed limit. Maybe at the outer limit, consider a tonneau cover, although trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick. Also, I would use synthetic oil and NEVER let it idle. At idle you get 0 MPG. Lastly, if you're gonna get 11 MPG, I'd be driving a 454, at least you have some bark when the go pedal is mashed.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can forget about the tornado and magnets on the gas line and other silly nonsense. They are total scams.
Try running tire pressure at the max, try running 5w 30 oil, clean air filter, new plugs and wires, not using the a/c, bed cover or remove tail gate. Or do what most of us do....buy a cheap jap beater, for driving when a truck isnt necessary. You can pick up corollas, and civics, dirt cheap. You can pound on them, way past 200k miles, and they keep running about 30 mpg.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you are trying to save money then there is no need to spend money on exhaust and such! Even though these will give you improvements that will be less money you have for your quad. Without spenign much I would do this:

1. Put more air in the tires and make sure all 4 have the same amount.

2. New spark plugs and air filter.

3. Switch to a lighter weight oil such as 5w30.

4. Change differential fluids to synthetic.

All of this won't cost you more that $50 for that truck and will probably get you about 1.5 more MPG plus help keep your truck running smooth.

Also work on your driving habits. After I stopped driving 80 mph all the time and dropped down to 68-69 MPH I noticed a huge difference in MPG [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

well the biggest reason mpg is that low is cause we live in the mountains, I have to drive about 25 miles just to school and back every day litteraly up hills both ways, lots of curves and about 5 stop sings every day. There is not much chance of me getting another or diffrent vehicle cause my dad has to use my truck to pull a 16' trailer every once in a while. I use 10w 30 oil in it (gets change every 3000mi) the spark pluges was changed last year, I need to change the wires and distributer cap cause when it is cold and to an extent when warm at low rpm it has a sudden drop in power then again at a slightly higher rpm it has an increese in power. The diff oil to my knowledge has never been changed so that needs to be done, I try to drive as easy as I can but it is still just getting about 12-13 mpg. I will check the tire PSI. It is also 4x4 so that hurts to. I will try to use some of these suggestions so thanxx alot.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

centrifugal supercharger. If you doubt me, you should never turn a wrench ever again

Old 04-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am trying to go for cheep. Just for kicks: how much does one cost? Gas milage gains? HP gains? were ya get one of those?

Old 04-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

go check out www.procharger.com. Thats the only centrifugal supercharger I would buy. You'd be the man if you had a turbocharged work truck. Also, anyone who says turbos are only for fart-box imports, also should never turn a wrench again.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I checked out the web site and it seemed like a good setup but there was no model shown to fit my truck and I am trying to make my truck last as long as posible and I don'k know how much a supercharger puting an extra 10 psi into the motor would help it.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone who doesn't understand that pressurizing a naturally aspirated engine will shorten its life, should never turn a wrench again.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

well the said on the site that under normal driving conditions it should not affect the life of a properly setup engine but they also said it would not affect the gas milage much either but that is just them trying to sell a few more products.

Quick Reply: Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck