Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck

My truck is a 1987 Chevy w/ a 305 V8, so as many of you know it does not get very good gas milage (11 to mabey around 13 mpg) it might not be that bad but I am on a very limited income and trying to save for a new atv. I was kind of thinking mabey some thing that is cost effective.
Any ideas or tips would be apreciated.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

I was just about to post a thread about this for my Silverado 5.7 L V8. I can barely afford to drive this thing!!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Check into a cold air intake and a K&N filter. On the Silverado, a new chip. Will also increase power. Otherwise, drive strictly down hill. Consider using sails on windy days. Two words, siphon hose.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Check into a cold air intake and a K&N filter. On the Silverado, a new chip. Will also increase power. Otherwise, drive strictly down hill. Consider using sails on windy days. Two words, siphon hose.
siphon hose, lofl. I might have to invest in that stuff, and is a Tornado intake kit all that its cracked up to be?

ps- scootergpx, that avator is hilarious [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94 305 GMC c1500 reg cab longbox. around 17 on a really good day. Tires can make a big diff on mileage, as can a good tune up.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

If you are going to drive a truck, you are going to get crappy gas mileage. I have driven half tons since the day I started driving about twelve years ago. I don't care what type of truck or what mods you put on it, they suck for gas mileage. I would say you have to decide which you want - a quad or the truck. If you want a quad really bad, sell the truck and buy a nice little car. If you want to keep the truck then you while have to save longer for the quad.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm skeptical of the Tornado. I don't think it is all it's advertised as. A good tune up is the best way to keep your mileage steady, along with properly inflated tires (geez, sounds like a AAA brochure). I change the plugs in our vehicles every year. 8 bucks per vehicle isn't that expensive to me.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

Do you have something covering the bed of the truck? Get a tonneau, take off the tailgate, or maybe a cap would help. Hubby just intalled a 4" stainless exhaust, and and AFE air intake in our new Ram, gets an additional 2 to 3 mpg. now. Our old '77 Chevy gets about 8mpg, that is why we got a truck with the Cummins diesel in it. (1800 miles on it and it is getting about 20mpg now) (Mrs. Q)

Old 04-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 02 GMC Z71 and i'm getting pretty good millage now. I installed the K&N cold air intake and dual exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series.
Best i can tell i get about 4 or 5 mpg better then before. which isn't huge but it sure as heck adds up. I went to pick up a dirt bike 2 weeks ago and got 24 mpg out of it i was really impressed.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

305 in a half ton should get better milage than that. Sumpthin's wrong. Spark timing ok? carb working right (if its a carb) ? Tires all aired up fully? What about your driving style? The more you use the brakes, the more you are driving inefficiently. Every time you scrub off speed with brakes is speed you paid to get up to. If you're braking too much, your burning too much.

Quick Reply: Gas milage tips and tricks for my truck