Synthetic Oil observation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil observation

A couple of years ago, an intelligent young woman posted a response on one of the
forums on this website about synthetic oil.
In essence, she said that because synthetic oil had a lower pour point than regular oil, it
would drain off the valve train at the top of the cylinder. This wasn't serious unless the
engine would sit for a long time without being run. That made sense to me, so I stopped
using synthetic oils in my automobiles and quad.
When I bought my Polaris Expedition, it came with Polaris 0W-40 synthetic oil from the
factory. That seemed contrary to the tradition which said not to use synthetic oil until
after the piston rings had "set".
The 1st oil change on the Polaris left me with several quarts of used oil that looked clear
as a bell, so I saved them for use in my oil squirt can; which I used to oil various parts on
lawn mowers, etc. I used that squirt can on the jacks of my travel trailer, as they had
gotten a little rusty and squeaky from use. To my surprise, that oil did not evaporate and
has remained on those jacks for over a year. Most regular oils evaporate, as I observed
from some spills on the driveway from oil changes. The Polaris oil on those jacks
showed just how much surface tension this oil has.
I hate paying $6.99 a quart for this oil, but my Polaris has never developed an oil
consumption problem and I'm now a true believer in this synthetic. The oil is almost
clear but has a green tint. I don't believe it is made by Mobil because Mobil 1 has
a regular oil color, and I don't know of any other 0W-40 weight oil.
Just my 2 cents but thought some of you may find it a little interesting.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I love my synthetic oil .. I'm using Mobil 1 in my Warrior. I just topped it up this weekend from my oil change last august. The oil in the base before my top-up was only slightly off color from what came out of the new quart .. great stuff!!!

Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on what you run. Your warrior and your Polaris might have no problems with synthetics. However, I ran el-natural in my Raptor until this last oil change when I switched to Synthetic Maxima race oil. I find that the Maxima burns and turns color faster than the natural. I might switch back. Again, keep in mind I ride under heavy stress and high revs constantly on slick motocross tracks.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

i run amsoil in everything. and from what i have read and herd it gets no better than amsoil. imo

Old 06-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

I think amsoil is the best I've ever used, too. I started using it in our race car several years ago. I use it in my farm tractors, lawn mowers, and just about all of our power equipment. My '04 Polaris ATP 500HO owner's manual says that the warranty is void if 0W40 synthetic is not used at all times. It's amsoil for me all the way.

Since we use it quite a bit around here we also have quite a bit to go into our oil cans and we also use it to wipe down any metal implements that might rust. The stuff stays where you put it and protects metal better than any petrolium oils we ever used.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Swizzler
I think amsoil is the best I've ever used, too. I started using it in our race car several years ago. I use it in my farm tractors, lawn mowers, and just about all of our power equipment. My '04 Polaris ATP 500HO owner's manual says that the warranty is void if 0W40 synthetic is not used at all times. It's amsoil for me all the way.

Since we use it quite a bit around here we also have quite a bit to go into our oil cans and we also use it to wipe down any metal implements that might rust. The stuff stays where you put it and protects metal better than any petrolium oils we ever used.
i use 0-40 amsoil in the mag and pred anyway. although i'm going to use 10-40 in the pred this summer to see how she shifts. we use 10-40 in all the clutches in the dirt bikes. works great.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Range Rover

Expeditioneer, as you know Polaris and all other manufacturers do not manufacture their own oil. They just buy it from a manufacturer, slap their label on it and mark up the price. I know Amsoil and Polaris have a pretty good relationship especially with the Amsoil sponsered Polaris snowmobiles on the Super Snowcross Stadium Tour and the WSA Pro Open. An Amsoil Polaris driver won the SSST championship this year. I'm not saying that Amsoil manufactures the Polaris oil. Amsoil does make a synthetic 0w-40 oil for use in atv's, good stuff!

Amsoil Website

Old 06-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I run Amsoil in the scram too. Run what the manufacture recommends. The polaris motors are designed to be run with the 0W-40 synthetic for a reason (it reaches the OHC better). I dont think that Amsoil makes the Polaris oil though. The Polaris oil has a green tint. I have never seen another oil like it before.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

BigBadScrambler, I'm not sure about this but I think a harmless dye can be put in oil, what about Royal Purple? I am sure about this, all the new Dodges come with Zerex G-05 in their cooling systems. Zerex G-05 antifreeze is almost clear with a very slight goldish tint. In the new Dodges the antifreeze is orange. A dye has been put in the antifreeze, so the person who wants to drain their radiator or just top off think they have to use the special Dodge/Chrysler antifreeze at 3 times the cost of just going to buy Zerex G-05 at the local parts shop. Dye it, slap their label on it, and they make a great profit off all the suckers, it's sad but true! By the way that Zerex G-05 is really good stuff, just don't buy it at the local Dodge dealer.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You very well could be right. But, I still dont think that Amsoil is the maker of of the Polaris oil. I have compared the labels on both, and there are differences. I still prefer to stick with Amsoil. First in synthetics says a lot to me!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil observation