Lets say you get in trouble riding an ATV on a road, what is the worst that can happen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets say you get in trouble riding an ATV on a road, what is the worst that can happen?

Imagine you live in a rural area of about 17000 people in the whole county & there are tons of gravel roads.

Lets say you are driving a quad down a blacktop road or a gravel *county road*. A cop sees you and ends up stopping you....My question is this, I realize he can give you a ticket, but lets say they impound your bike. Is there a way they can keep you from getting your bike back or make somekind of insane fines so that it is nearly impossible?

This is excluding any crazy circumstances like DUI & drugs. Also lets say that you were wearing a helmet & had a flag on your bike.

I just dont wanna lose my quad, so I want advice.

And yes, I know I could run from the cop, but I wont.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Lets say you get in trouble riding an ATV on a road, what is the worst that can happen?

I would be calling your local police department and see what the actual laws are.

In our county you can ride the back roads legally if you have purchased off road numbers/license for your quad but in other counties you can not so it goes by what the locals want.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

cant get a straight answer, i think u can get a special use permit ..*if you are a farmer* but otherwise I dont think you can...and i believe you can attempt to get them plated just like a car, but you need special tires, turn signals and some other stuff. I jsut wanna ride on the gravel roads, knowing that I am not gonna get my bike taken away [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I think around were i live you can get away with riding on the side of the road if you have the AG sticker and you are doing farm related work with your machine.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would have a hard time making it look like i was doing farm work w/ a raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

the sky is the limit i would imagine

lose licence,,,,lose your quad

Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Best advise even thouh you wolnt is RUN FOR YOUR QUADS LIFE!!!!! If your on a raptor and he catches you on a country road something is wrong.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

in Louisiana where i am from its $100 fine
if you cut down a tree $7800 each on state land

Old 06-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Your best bet, would be to call the sheriffs office( or who ever has jurisdiction), and ask about riding on the dirt roads, and what guidelines they follow. Asking ahead of time could save alot of grief later. They may tell you, which specific roads, you can go on and what ones you cant. Or it may be an aboslute, no riding anywhere.
Then you could ask, if i get caught, whats gonna happen? And depending on your attitude, and what kind of day Barnie is having, could range from, simply driving it back home, to jail time, huge fines, towing charge, storage charge, insurance fees, loss of licence, and on and on.
You never know...Barnie could be a wheeler, himself, and tell you some good legal areas to ride.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

this is a TRUE STORY ok we have a cottage in bloomington IN and last time we went down there i was riding down a local road( middel of nowehre early morning(10:49) near the campground and i came around a corner and there's a DNR officer coming right at me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but since i wasn't fro mthe area it was only a warning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lets say you get in trouble riding an ATV on a road, what is the worst that can happen?