Getting really mad with a Warrior. Need LOTS of help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting really mad with a Warrior. Need LOTS of help.

I have a 96 warrior and i have been rebuilding it. Lately when i have been riding it, it has been acting up. In 3,4,and 5 gear mostly it slips out and you can hear it chatter. I was looking at it and found that the front sprocket was so loose that i undid the nut with my fingers. So i bought a new one but havent put it on yet. I tightened it down and drove around my street and it worked fine. I took it out this weekend and the firts little hill that i went up it did it again. I went to a complete stop and put it in first gear and watched the sprocket and it was still making the noise but i was not moving at all. In 1 and 2 it doesn't do it that much but it still does on occasion. Please anyone, I NEED HELP. I am about to give up on atv's.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

firstly .. the nut on your counter shaft really only goes on far enough to hold the retaining washer onto the serrations of the shaft. Then you bend the retaining washer on the nut, and that holds it in place. Are the serrations (I wonder if that's the right word for it?? hrm .. anyway) on your counter shaft in good shape?? What about on the sprocket itself?

It sounds more to me like you need your clutch adjusted. If you're not able to adjust it enough to compensate for this problem, then you may need a transmission rebuild.

Do you know the person from whom you purchased the bike? I'm presuming that you purchased it second hand, though that's not clear from your post.

Mine has popped out of gear a time or two itself, but that's usually in 1st or 2nd and typically because I had just been in Reverse and never fully pushed the reversing lever forward.

Hope this helps a bit ...

Old 09-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Everything seems like it is in ok shape. How would i go about adjusting my clutch. I think that i played with my cluch adjustments a while ago when i put on a new purch, but i just want to be sure.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Oh also i have had the atv for 2 years now. It was not doing it when i first got it. It has just happened recently.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

it might possibly also be a bad counter shaft bearing ..

take the chain cover off, and the counter shaft nut .. make sure the spline (notches, serrations, whatever) are in good shape.

Try wiggling the counter shaft with your hands .. if it's loose, then that's your problem. If not, then start up your bike .. make sure your fingers and all that other stuff are clear. See if the noise still appears.

What condition is your chain in? And your rear sprocket as well? It might possibly also be excessive chain wear that's causing the chain to jump when riding fast.

The chattering noise you describe though sounds just like if it's not going right into forward after being in reverse. Almost like a gear grinding type of noise is what I used to get.

Anyway .. good luck with it!!

Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

It doesnt do it if i just start the bike up. It does it when i am moving already then it will either like jerk the bike, or make that chatter noise and not accelerate anymore. It will rev but not move. It is like it just slips out. Sometimes if you get off the gas it will go back in. I dont think the chain moves because when it did it i stopped and looked at the front sprocket and it was not moving.