Baghdad Bulletin - October 9th

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baghdad Bulletin - October 9th

A friend forwarded me this email written by a US military officer in Baghdad. I removed his name because I'm not certain if it was ever meant to be shared in this public of a place. However, I thought it was worthy to share with you the truth about what is happening in IRAQ rather than the misleading information the American press provides. With an election year the American press likes to paint a picture that serves their political agenda. It's interesting to hear the truth about IRAQ from a military officer there who is living and working in IRAQ.

Greetings to all my fellow infidels:

This morning I woke up to the best news I’ve had in Baghdad so far…no, not the Bush-Kerry debate, but the RED SOX sweeping the Angels and waiting to take on the Evil Empire for the AL Pennant. I’ve been able to catch all of the baseball action here in Baghdad, but openly admit that I fell asleep before the end of last night’s game and didn’t find out who actually won until catching the score on ESPN this morning. Needless to say, my Soldiers are quite happy about the win too. A happy first sergeant doesn’t happen to often so they enjoy it as much as they can.

I just moved in with my media desk boss, Marine Major **SNIP***. He bleeds Yankee blue so I am sure there will be many lively discussions in our trailer as the playoffs progress.

Speaking of the debate…How smart can an undecided voter be if he/she hasn’t made up their mind by now. The term undecided voter is an oxymoron, such as military intelligence.

Now on to the issue of Iraq. The truth is that the country is neither as rosy as the President says it is, but it is a lot more closer to his views than it is to Senator Kerry’s myth. Every time he opens up his mouth he does the American military an injustice. If you listen to the garbage coming out of his mouth you’d think that the US military is worthless.

I have to interrupt this message because a rocket/mortar just landed about a click (kilometer for you civilians) from my building. The building buckled slightly and the media is starting to call. Just another day in Baghdad brutha!! Back in a few minutes. Intel sources say one rocket landed very close to where I used to live and may have killed several IZ’s (local Iraqis).

I am tired of the truth not getting out to the American about Iraq. There is so much negativity in the country today I thought I’d list some of the quality work that everyone thinks is not happening. Today let’s talk construction, employment and the Iraqi Security Forces.

The amount of the ever popular dollar figure of $18 billion that has been released to date is $13.74 billion. . The $$ that has been legally contracted with companies to perform the work is $7.69. Additionally, there is $10.8 billion in commitments. As they say in the construction you don’t pay until the work is completed. The real measure of progress is at the construction sites themselves. There is work going on at 373 sites throughout Iraq. These jobs include water treatment facilities, Iraqi military bases, dredging of ports so goods can flow in and out, hospitals, schools and electrical power plants.

Even in Najaf there is currently over $200 million in reconstruction projects either started or getting ready to kick off. Remember, hostilities just ended there about 5 weeks ago.

We have exceeded pre-war oil production levels of 2.5 million barrels per day.

Twelve primary healthcare centers are now under construction and five major hospitals are currently being renovated with successful completions as a women’s hospital in Al Thawra (Sadr City). Seventy-two healthcare facilities (clinics) are currently under construction, while 13 have been completed.

Work continues on more than 40 training facilities, military bases, police and fire stations being built across the country. Sixty-two border forts are under construction. Four police stations are now under construction. Five fire stations are now under construction.

39,000 police have been trained and equipped while 14,000 border police have been trained and equipped. Three regular Army battalions have been trained and equipped and eight Iraqi National Guard battalions have been trained and equipped.

The current electrical output is at 5,200 megawatts on the Iraqi National Power Grid, easily outperforming the pre-war levels of 4,400 megawatts. Twelve electricity generation projects are under construction. Thirty seven electricity distribution substations are either under construction or in rehabilitation.

Nearly 9 million math and science textbooks have been purchase and distributed while 2,700 schools have been rehabilitated. There are another 187 new schools currently under construction.

Our projects have meant employment to nearly 83,000 Iraqis including over 310 Iraqi based firms.

To say it in laymen’s terms, there is more than just construction alone in rebuilding a nation’s infrastructure. Several non-construction items that are moving forward include security and law enforcement, justice and public safely infrastructure, transportation and telecommunications oil and healthcare.

These projects do not even include the Commander’s Emergency Relief Program (CERP) in which specific Army elements let out contracts themselves for quick construction/aid projects throughout the country. The total numbers for this initiative include over 34,000 projects costing over $681 million in projects under construction or completed

Here are just several of the headlines of some of the press releases we sent out this week:

New Iraqi Border Outposts Coming on Line
MNF rebuild Al Sharafia Primary School
Baghdad Playground Restored to Keep Kids Safe
MNF Renovate Baghdad School
Najaf Construction Hailed by Governor
Efforts to Construct Infrastructure Continue
Iraqis Looking Toward Much Brighter Future
Corps of Engineers Transfers Power Plants, Puts More Electricity on Line in September

For those of you who still think we are wasting our money and efforts in Iraq I pose this question to you? Did we waste our money implementing democracy and capitalism in Germany and Japan after WW II?

Think big picture here. Never mind what the Democrats or Republicans say. Will the world be a safer place for my kids and my grandchildren because the Coalition has implemented a western based democracy in the Middle East? You’re in denial if you answered no to that question. It’s time to get over the political name calling and realize that this will be one of the most important times in history as the Iraqis head to the polls and elect true representatives of the people.

If we sat back and practiced what the nay sayers preach then we’d all still be talking with British accents!

On a closing note, the UN Oil for Food Report that came out this week is just further proof of why France and Germany did not agree to join the coalition in Operation Iraqi Freedom. We all suspected this, but it makes it a lot more believable when it is substantiated through a blue ribbon panel. Why should they want to topple one of the most evil dictators in the history of the world if you are making hundreds of millions of dollars off his deceptive practices? Sometimes the truth hurts. In this case I believe that the government leaders of Germany and France can pucker up and plant a big one on the asses of the men and women of the Multi-National Forces.

That’s all for now. Take care and watch out for members of the Evil Empire. You have my permission to shoot first and ask questions after the fact.

GO RED SOX!!!

*** NAME REMOVED ***
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Cowboy Up!

Old 10-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for posting that dbeck, its great to be able to hear the truth about whats going on over there instead of all the negative crap that the liberal media likes to show. I here similar accounts from my brother who is currently stationed in Baquoba, 20 mins North of Baghdad. I'll make sure and copy this and paste it at the other forums that I frequent.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

I am sure many of the troublemakers are not even Iraqi. Sounds like the Iraqis could easily have a better life if they can get rid of the terrorists.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HappywithVForce
I am sure many of the troublemakers are not even Iraqi. Sounds like the Iraqis could easily have a better life if they can get rid of the terrorists.
A few people I know that are over there serving, including my brother, have told me thats exactly the problem, there alot of terrorists coming in from other countries trying to disrupt the peace process. Thats OK though, we can just kill them now and not have to worry about hunting them down later.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would much rather kill them there. If they get here, they still have too many rights!

Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally posted by: HappywithVForceI would much rather kill them there. If they get here, they still have too many rights!
When my AR runs out of ammo, I'd be happy to read their rights to them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the update Dbeck!