Floating an atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating an atv

I got into a heated discussion at work about if an atv will float. The guys arguing with me have Ploaris. One is a 500 with brush guard 26" 589's and a whole lot of extras. Of course that is not going to float. The other guy has a 700 with similar accessories. Yes, it's a good rock. I have three stock Arctic Cats and have floated every one of them to a certain degree. I have run my 400 and 500 in neck deep water. I wouldn't go fishing off of them, but for short distances and water that is not moving, I will take the risk. Does anyone have photos or video of any stock atv fording water? I've seen the pontoons and tire add ons. That's all I could find on the web on this topic. I have a bet to show these guys this summer when the ice melts. I know the water was neck deep that I crossed. After I crossed it I told my wife to cross and she couldn't understand my hand signals on where to go so she shut the machine off in the middle of it so she could hear me. Needless to say, I had to go in and hook my winch to her after the exhaust filled.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Floating an atv

ive seen a yamaha warrior float after the pilot got off it.i wish i had my camara that day that was a funny sight.i really dont believe any quad that weighs over four hundred pounds is gonna float on those little tires tho.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Floating an atv

I had a z250 that would float when i got on, to float while your on u need barrels like mudders do

Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Floating an atv

Shot you don't need no barrels. Just stuff a couple of deflated basket ***** under the front somewhere like under the rack and then air them up a little. It's best to add a snorkle so you don't suck any water in. When you get in the water move you wieght towards the back until you balance it out with the front a little higher and don't get to happy with the throttle. If you hammer it it will dive like a submarine. I've watched people around here float everything from a 125cc to a 700cc.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Floating an atv

sure you can float a quad, that big polaris won't float cuz its as good as a boat anker in water. But most sport quads under 400lbs do float. Last summer i was ridding sand bars in the river. you had to dirive through water about 2 ft deep to go between them. I got stuck got off my quad, it started to float. Next thing i know the current was stealing my machine. Don't worry i got in time.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Floating an atv

I've had my Prairie 650 submerged twice now. It's got 26" Bridgestone Mudhooks on it. Both times I had the handlebars completely underwater. I tried leaning back and pouring the coal to it but it didn't matter, the front end sinks like a rock. As soon as I hop off its floats up to where the top of the racks are level with the surface of the water. I've seen another buddy of mine, that has the same exact quad, jump off of his when the water gets up to the top of the seat and keep the throttle pinned and float it right out of the water. So the next time I plan to bail off before the airbox gos below water level. Of course I'm just guessing, but the only thing I can really see floating well is the old 3 wheelers with the great big balloon tires. Good Luck

Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Floating an atv

If you pin the throttle while your on it it's going to dive. most of the quads around here just stick a basket ball or something under the front rack to keep it up. We used to have an old honda 350 here at work and it would float with me on it as long as I didn't get to happy with the throttle, also had some of those old ballon looking tires. Once you spin your tires it displaces the water and looses it's boyancy. If you have enough floats under your racks you can spin all you want.