H&R Block "Refund Anticipationloan"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Block "Refund Anticipationloan"

Yay, tax time and new bike time. Being the impatient person that I am, I want my money NOW!!!!!!! Has anyone used this service before? How much did they charge you? I would call H&R Block, but they are too busy and I can't get through[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

H&R Block has a lot of advertising trying to get people to go this route. Most people are very impatient and willing to give up a percent of your refund to get it faster. H&R Block will charge you a significant amount to get you refund instantly. Your not actually getting an instant refund, your getting a loan from H&R Block based on what they calculate on your return. Should the IRS have a problem with your return and not process it you will have to pay H&R Block back and taking out a loan can effect your credit. What most people don't know that you can file electronically straight with the IRS yourself and not pay anyone anything. Going this route you can have the money deposited in your checking account in as little as 7 days and 14 days at the longest. It just depends when in the cycle you submit your return. If you only have W-2s and no other complicated deductions, you are a fool if you pay someone to do it for you, it is easy and the most you will have to wait is two weeks to get your money.

Also, H&R Block is mainly targeting people with large refunds. These people generally get Earned Income Credit (EIC) In case you don't know...EIC is WELFARE. So if you get EIC, you’re getting all the tax you had deducted back plus an additional amount determined by a factor of your income and dependents. This additional amount was withheld out of someone else's check and you didn't pay it. If you are receiving EIC the government has decided you’re not making enough so they take it from someone else and give it to you. So if you receive EIC, I challenge you to take the steps you need to increase your income level and better provide for yourself and you family and get off welfare.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Get a program like "Tax Cut" or "Turbo Tax". My wife and I have been using the computer to do taxes for a few years now. Once we get all of our W2's and other forms, we go out and buy the software. And, after rebates and write offs for the cost of the software, it ends up not cost much of anything at all. Plus, with the software, it'll only take you about 2 hour MAX to get your taxes done.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pendejo
Yay, tax time and new bike time. Being the impatient person that I am, I want my money NOW!!!!!!! Has anyone used this service before? How much did they charge you? I would call H&R Block, but they are too busy and I can't get through[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Every year I use turbo tax and get my refund check direct deposited in less than 10 days. I have done it for 3 years in a row and last year I got the state back in 4 days and federal in 7 days. It is well worth the $.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

We use "Tax Cut". There was an issue with Turbo Tax a few years ago regarding some crap it installed in addition to the software. It wasn't a virus, just some advertising BS.

We just install the new version over the previous year's version. I leave the old version on my machine all year, insert the new CD and let autoinstall do all the work.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

I get sent a new one every year so I uninstall the old one, but I keep the CD along with a burnt CD with that years filing. I can reinstall it at any time and view, or print my taxes from previous years.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

If you're getting a tax return the best thing you can do is stick it in a mutual fund or some other long-term savings plan. Money is too hard to put aside, and when you have a chunk like that, sure it's easy to spend on fun stuff but so few people in this country save anything it's pathetic.

Let's say you're 20 years old, and you have $500 coming back. You can buy a 4 stroke pipe and it's gone. If you invest it, with an average return doubling it every 7 years, by the time you're 62 that old pipe magically turned into $32,000. Which is worth more to you?

I'm about to turn 44 and have saved quite a bit but could have a lot more if I'd have listened to this kind of advice when I was "young". And believe me, you blink your eyes and you're 40. Another blink and you're 60. Why not make small sacrifices now and still have your fun, but be comfortable and financially independent too. It's nice not to have to be in debt to the Man for your whole life.

Sorry, lecture over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Let's say you're 20 years old, and you have $500 coming back. You can buy a 4 stroke pipe and it's gone. If you invest it, with an average return doubling it every 7 years, by the time you're 62 that old pipe magically turned into $32,000. Which is worth more to you?
Unless you pick mutuals like I do.....then it'll be worth $200.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

LOL i have a few of those too....

Old 01-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
If you're getting a tax return the best thing you can do is stick it in a mutual fund or some other long-term savings plan. Money is too hard to put aside, and when you have a chunk like that, sure it's easy to spend on fun stuff but so few people in this country save anything it's pathetic.

I'm about to turn 44 and have saved quite a bit but could have a lot more if I'd have listened to this kind of advice when I was "young". And believe me, you blink your eyes and you're 40. Another blink and you're 60. Why not make small sacrifices now and still have your fun, but be comfortable and financially independent too. It's nice not to have to be in debt to the Man for your whole life.

Sorry, lecture over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Oh man, a lecture, sheesh[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just kidding. I would like to invest all of it, but I know I won't. I would like to invest 1/3 of it, but I don't know that I will do that either. I believe I should live life to it's fullest, so it's hard for me to take my money to a bank and watch it for 40 years before I see it again, when I could spend it right now on something I need(yes an ATV is a need for me, don't ask[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ). Hey Shady, aren't you the guy with an Ebay business? I asked if you could give me some details about it, but ya never did. Top secret info I guess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]??

Quick Reply: H&R Block "Refund Anticipationloan"