WARNING another e-bay scam

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005 | 09:29 PM
|
Range Rover
Default WARNING another e-bay scam

Hey whats up,
Just thought I would warn everyone! Over the last 2 weeks my parents got scammed hard core on e-bay! THey bidded on 2 sleds and lost but once the bidding was closed they got an e-mail saying hey the top bidder backed out and the guy was willing to sell them for what they bid. I tried to warn them that the deal sounded to good to be true but ya that never works and they sent out the money western union for 2 two up sleds and trailer. Low and behold the sleds are no where to be found and neither is the seller or the money they paid! So just goes to warn you guys watch what you do and watch what you buy. Oh yeah and if anyone has any great ideas on how to get the money back that would be greatly appreaciated! THanks and good luck!

Old 02-23-2005 | 09:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: lilmissmud
Hey whats up,
Just thought I would warn everyone! Over the last 2 weeks my parents got scammed hard core on e-bay! THey bidded on 2 sleds and lost but once the bidding was closed they got an e-mail saying hey the top bidder backed out and the guy was willing to sell them for what they bid. I tried to warn them that the deal sounded to good to be true but ya that never works and they sent out the money western union for 2 two up sleds and trailer. Low and behold the sleds are no where to be found and neither is the seller or the money they paid! So just goes to warn you guys watch what you do and watch what you buy. Oh yeah and if anyone has any great ideas on how to get the money back that would be greatly appreaciated! THanks and good luck!
ALL the scams that I have heard of involve Western union money transfers. Better to use your credit card and the protection they provide. I have never heard of anyone getting their money returned. Ebay is great but you must be careful, very careful. IMO

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

We've been getting messages from ebay to renew our membership since about the first of the year. I was filling out the registration form and it asked for my credit card number AND my PIN number. I went through and read the agreement letter and it said nothing about my PIN number. I wrote to customer service about it and they wrote back saying it was not from them and somebody was trying to scam me. Ebay said they never ask for PIN numbers and they don't ask any one to renew their information.
If you get anything in an e-mail asking you to do something on ebay, it's more than likely a scam.

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:24 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Starky
We've been getting messages from ebay to renew our membership since about the first of the year. I was filling out the registration form and it asked for my credit card number AND my PIN number. I went through and read the agreement letter and it said nothing about my PIN number. I wrote to customer service about it and they wrote back saying it was not from them and somebody was trying to scam me. Ebay said they never ask for PIN numbers and they don't ask any one to renew their information.
If you get anything in an e-mail asking you to do something on ebay, it's more than likely a scam.
I got caught up in that too. I now have a new credit card #, and new passwords. The scammers are pretty sharp. And pretty pissed off at some one too. IMO.

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I do a lot of business on ebay and I get those scams every week. Some are very sophisticated and look authentic and some are hoky. But, anytime an email shows up no matter what it looks like and it asks you for personal information, you know it's trouble. The snowmobile people are in all likelihood out of luck. It will be a jurisdictional conflict between his local authorities and the authorities where the sleds were located. One will say it's the other, meaning the scene of the crime will be debated whether it's on one end or the other.

There should be a nice little organized vigilante squad who travels around and "fixes" these problems since the authorities are loath to get too involved in it. There's money to be made there I tell ya.

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:31 PM
|
Range Rover

Hey ya I got one of those e-mails from yahoo and one from MSN so watch out NO one will ever need your pin for anything! They can run a debit card as credit so NEVER EVER give a pin!!!

And as for the little vigilante group I am so down with that! Let me know when ya organize it! I am hoping they get somewhere with it but so far they are just sittig there like ya we got scammed that sucks. I don't know I would be hackin the guys computer for sure, if ya can't get your money back might as well make em pay!

Old 02-23-2005 | 02:24 PM
Range Rover

I sell alot of cars on ebay. Someone stole my info and placed my cars on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Luckily my number was in the discription and people started to call me. Huge ordeal. By local you will be alot better off.