Carb Help needed and quick

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Help needed and quick

Hi All. I have been tasked with getting my grandfathers 71 Artic cat snowmobile running and up foe sale. It has a 303 Wankle "rotary" engine Like a Mazda RX-7. I got the thing running yesterday for 30 seconds on the second pull after being stored since 1988. But I believe i'm having a bit of carb troubles.

First I replaced all fuel lines from the tank to the carb with new clear hose. I see the fuel making it to the carb but the carb does not seem to pull the fuel to the engine.

if I removed the inlet hose to the carb and used an oil can to squirt the fuel in the carb the engine will start. As soon as I put the hose back on it wont start even though I know I'm feeding the carb. So the fuel is not making it to engine. Why? where do I start.

I need to have this running by next weekend. There is a show in Isanti MN were I want to sell the snowmobile. And my grandfather really needs as much money as he can get out of this sale. So it has to run.

The carb is a Tillotson model HL and I downloaded the schematics from the web but I have no clue where to start.

Thanks far all your replies.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:38 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The carb is definitely gummed up from all the time sitting. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I use carb cleaner and then compressed air to clean all passages. Have you ever cleaned a carb before?

Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Its probably the pilot jet which is plugged, it controls the fuel in the idle circuit.
Have you tried starting at 1/4 throttle? This will bypass the idle circuit and if it starts and runs at 1/4 throttle and dies once you go back to no throttle, it confirms the idle circuit is plugged.
Sounds like a unique sled. Whats going on in Isanti? wheres the show at? I dont live far from there.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

It's the artic plunge at Sunsets resort on Long Lake. They are going to have Vintage Snowmobile races. I thought this might be a good place to sell the snowmobile.

Thanks for the replies. I'll dig into it tonight and report back.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well I think the carb has a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm. It runs great as long as I continue pushing the primer.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i had carb trouble not to long ago on my quad which had been setting for a few months.i just took the bowl off and what ever rubber gaskets that were good,the floats and i just stuck it in a bucket of carb cleaner over night took it out blew air threw all the jets now it runs like a new one. it's amazing what letting something sit around will do to it.