More Fuel for the "Which Is Faster" Debate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005 | 02:08 AM
|
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default More Fuel for the "Which Is Faster" Debate!

April issue of ATV Sport. The never ending debate about whether the Yamaha or Honda 450 is fastest: Well, they clocked the Honda just slightly faster at 62.10 mph and the Yamaha at 61.96. But, there is a catch.........it takes the Honda longer to get to top speed than it takes the Yamaha. So, the Yamaha is a better sprinter (good trait for an MX bike to have), and the Honda is faster in a very long race. Take a long desert race like Baja. Say it takes 40 hrs. to reach the finish line. A bike that is just 1 mph faster, will finish 40 miles ahead of the competition.

Of course, these are bone stock bikes with no mods.

Old 03-21-2005 | 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

60mph is unbelieveable, and for a race quad no way that they are going to go only 60mph. But its a common fact that the TRX is "faster"

Old 03-21-2005 | 12:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blindside350
60mph is unbelieveable, and for a race quad no way that they are going to go only 60mph. But its a common fact that the TRX is "faster"
A magazine tests them and the trx is less than 2 tenths of a mph faster. Now you are telling me that the trx being faster is common knowledge? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

And Recon, Somehow I really dont believe that magazine article was with 2 stock quads. Gearing, tire choice, or something must have been very different. For reference, DW tested the YFZ at 78.3mph with stock gearing and tires, 78.9 for the trx. Now I'm not saying that DW is right and that magazine isnt, but there has to be an explanation for the difference of 15+mph difference between them. And just because the trx is a little over a half mile an hour faster, I really dont think you can call that a "common fact" that the trx is always faster.

And in the grand scheme if things, if we are talking about less than one mph, whether its at 62 or 78, who really cares?

Old 03-21-2005 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

dang, i thought they were in the 70's at least. a lot of new commers are going to look at the top speed comparing quads and maybe they will pick 400ex's and ltz's because they top out at around 67-68!

but probably not [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005 | 01:38 PM
Range Rover

Didn't the 250r in 85' top out @ 68-69mph bone stock?

C'mon..

As for the 40 hour race - you're nuts man.
I have done plenty of desert riding to know that you hardly ever get to top speed. (If ever).

Its all about the rider. (Unlike drag racing).

Old 03-21-2005 | 02:36 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Im not the most knowledgable on desert racing but I wouldn't think you would be at "exact" top speed even a lot of the time. A another thing to consider is I doubt a completely stock quad is even going to be raced if someone is looking to win at a competitive level. So really even if the info is true, it is completely irrelavent.

Old 03-21-2005 | 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: blindside350
A magazine tests them and the trx is less than 2 tenths of a mph faster. Now you are telling me that the trx being faster is common knowledge? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

And in the grand scheme if things, if we are talking about less than one mph, whether its at 62 or 78, who really cares?
I've head anywhere from 2-4mph faster which is quite a bit faster in my eyes... but .2 tenths is ridiculous to whine about so lets drop it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
But i agree with the rest of you, i doubt desert racers hit top speed much at all (can't tell you from personal experience)

Old 03-21-2005 | 11:23 PM
|
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The big desert endurance races are done mostly 5th gear pinned. In fact, they gear up for even more speed. Now keep in mid that these bikes are widened and have the ultimate in suspesnion. If your personal experience is riding a 15 year old 3 wheeler, well I can see why you might think that is impossible!

The DW aritcle was about a desert race team that was trying out different gearing combinations. These are race prepped bikes, and are hardly stock. I don't have it in front of me, but as I recall the bikes topped out in the low 70's??? Anybody got the article??? And, as I recall the Honda had a top speed that was also just a smidge faster.

Old 03-21-2005 | 11:48 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: waynerod

C'mon..

I have done plenty of desert riding to know that you hardly ever get to top speed. (If ever).

Tecate was over 70mph. Course that was with 3 wheels. Amazes me that 20 years later with today's technology we still can't create an atv as affordable, fun and fast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005 | 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: waynerod

C'mon..

Tecate was over 70mph. Course that was with 3 wheels. Amazes me that 20 years later with today's technology we still can't create an atv as affordable, fun and fast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
3 wheels mean less friction and less weight. thats why dirtbikes are fast. with 4 strokes taking over 2 strokes its going to take a while before they get it perfect. ya, they are never going to be the same or as legendary as the old 2 strokes. just look at the yfz compared to something like a warrior. i think you can call that progress. if you look at something like the yfz compared to a 250R stock for stock there is a huge difference. just my opinion tho. not trying to say anyone is wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

i dont think it matters how fast DW says they are. it seems obvious they dont have too much to write about. at least its something interesting and involves atv's. just take the info for what its worth and if the info is not perfectly accurate then at least the magazine helps our sport grow...

Quick Reply: More Fuel for the "Which Is Faster" Debate!