STREET LEGAL - why not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-1999, 11:05 PM
POC
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Indiana, Orange County anyway, it *IS* legal to ride an ATV on COUNTY ROADS (no hi-ways, you can however, cross them)
I have right now, on my desk the *OFFICIAL* "APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF OFF-ROAD VEHICLE"
it is $6 for 3 years...
And as far as I read....I don't have to do *anything* extra to my ATV.
Maybe you all need to move to Indiana?
POC

Old 08-08-1999, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

i went to get my license renewed today and got a paper on atvs. its about road regulations.

quads can be used in the following ways on roads:
1 on the berm or shoulder of any highway, other than a limited access highway, when the terrain is such that operation can be done safely
2 on the berm or shoulder of any township or county road when traveling from one area of operation to another
3 on county and township roads whenever approved by those having juristictional authority over it

i might not be understanding this fully but doesnt that give me authority to ride my banshee on the road?

tony
97 banshee

p.s. i live in ohio

[This message has been edited by tony (edited 08-08-1999).]

Old 08-10-1999, 01:29 PM
POC
Weekend Warrior

I'd read that as a "yes, maybe"
Ask the sherriff's office, they are the ones with the jurisdiction over county roads (usually, or police chief, or whatever)
But it appears to be similar to ours here in Indiana. Also, check with your Conservation officers, that is who is in control of it over here.

Patrick

Old 08-18-1999, 07:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just found this out. In Wyoming, all a person needs to register a quad for street use is a front headlight/rear brake light and a horn! (motorcycle insurance of course before he can get the tags) My coworker is getting both his Banshee and Warrior registered this week! The funny part. The horn is a bicycle type horn with the big black rubber piece at the end. FUNNY and Detachable of course!

RoostKing

Old 08-18-1999, 07:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One more thing, being Wyoming, we need not wear a helmet if over 19 yrs of age..

RoostKing.

Wyoming, What the west WAS...

Old 08-18-1999, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Where are you guys finding this info? I'm 16, and I could easily drive my ATV to school, put a lock on it, and drive it home. I need to find the ATV laws for Nebraska.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-19-1999, 05:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ride,
Since you are in Nebraska, you may be similar to Wyoming, or not. Check with either the DMV or your Auto Licensing bureau.
I will ask my friend where he got his info and post it..

RoostKing

Wyoming is what the west was!

Old 08-20-1999, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well Ive been following this post for a while , and it seems in rural states they dont care really if you ride an ATV around, but I live in NJ and I have been making some phone calls to Motor Vehicle Dept. and it seems next to impossible to get any privilage to ride an ATV on the street. They will only consider it a vehicle in this state . And therefore it wont pass standards. They wont even tell me what I would have to do to make it a vehicle. Or street legal.

Old 08-20-1999, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Ok . I 'm just gonna put my 5 or 2 or whatever cents in. I ride my quad over to my grandma's house with a short strip of pave ment about 2 miles. I have no problem with the differential thing and I've absolutly flew around turns before. And if quads were street legal I think it would take all the fun outta it . I mean if u got to ride ur quad everywhere then you would eventually get tired of it. And I read down to the message by the guy with a turbo T-wolf and he talks about passing cars on a timberwolf. I know u were only joking but I have two words for ya. grow up. no offence. please dont kill me!!!!

[This message has been edited by Reconrider (edited 08-20-1999).]

Old 08-21-1999, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Since I am the Guy with the Turbo T-wolf. I will respond to this message. I'm pretty sure if you've read any of my posts you know i joke around alot. Most of the regulars know this. If you dont prefer any sense of humor on a forum, go to cnn.com or something. I'm sorry if i offended you, actually i'm not i'm joking again. I will be more serious from now on just to make you happy. Dang, i just cant stop joking. hehehe. Like i've said before, if you dont like my posts, three words DONT READ THEM. Simple enough.

And for your information, it actually is a Turbo T-wolf. If you dont believe me you can ask Adam Dowden. He will tell ya.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 08-20-1999).]

Quick Reply: STREET LEGAL - why not?