STREET LEGAL - why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-1999, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, if motorcycles are street legal, why can't 4-wheelers? The companies could create quads with blinkers, mirrors, street tires, etc...without a problem, and aren't 4 wheels safer than 2? I know you can roll them, but it is easier to roll a motorcycle. This is just bothering me, because there is no reason NOT TO have them be street legal. They do it in Spain, but why not US? Why?

Old 07-17-1999, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

I think street leagal ATV would be great. I've benn wondering the same thing.

Old 07-18-1999, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

I was recently looking at all the warning labels on my quad and then got to thinking. Alot of the warnings can also be the same for a car. For instance: Improper ATV use can result in severe injury or death, If you improperly drive and use a car, won't that increase your chance of getting into an accident, causing severe injury or death? Never operate this ATV on public roads, a collision can occur with another vehicle, When you operate a car on a public road, doesn't that increase your chance of having a collision with another vehicle? I know freak things happen, but come on, I think most people have more common sense then to steer twoards a car in the oppisite direction. Why are people trying to make quads sound so bad and dangerous? If you think about it, other kinds of vehicles are just as dangerous in my opinion, so I don't see the big difference in saftey. And isn't it weird how when someone gets in an accident when they weren't wearing a helmet, the Anti-ATVers always forget to say how many more of the people were wearing helmets compared to the ones that were not? I hope someone else see's my point of view, and please, I want to hear others' point of view also.

Old 07-18-1999, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

I see your point of view. Most of the warning labels CAN apply to cars.

Old 07-18-1999, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

All right, quads are safer than motorcycles(which are already street legal), ALL the warning signs can apply to ANY street legal vehicle, a street lagal quad could easily be created by the current ATV manufacturers, and a number of us would love cruisin' around town in them. With all this being said, you have people who will actually LAUGH at you when you say quads should be street legal. What's the problem? People need to wake up and realize that quads aren't the death machines that people think they are...sure, if you are going 50, and try to take a 90 degree turn, you will roll, and everyone will blame it on the quads. The same would sure as hell happen on a motorcycle, only they would say something about not wearing a helmet in that situation. Just use common sense, and quads are perfectly safe, especially on flat pavement. come on, look at the stuff we put them through compared to what you would go through on a street. Is there anything we can do to try to have someone consider this issue? I seriously want to try something...

Old 07-18-1999, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

It is possible, Mike Tryke its called. Need more info on it?

------------------
400EX- Big Gun Headers and Slipon. White Bros. Rev Kit. Looking at new carbs.

LT250R- FMF Pipe and Power Core Silencer. Keihin Carb. Boyesen Reeds.

Old 07-18-1999, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I know about Mike Tryke, but why should we have to even change it to 3 wheels? Not to mention the fact that it is only for the Banshee. We shouldn't have to go out and buy a kit in the first place.

Old 07-19-1999, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here in Michigan it is legal for snowmobiles to ride on the shoulder of the road. I think the same should apply for ATVs.

Old 07-19-1999, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read in a atv mag the reason why NOT and looked thru most of them quick to see what one but didnt find it. Maybe someone can help me out here.

I said some thing about the clasification of a 4 wheeled vehical and seat belts.
it would take a lot of law juglling.

But i agree i would love to drive my Warrior to work hee hee that would be awsome

PS. the artical i think was tied into the MIKE TRYKE artical
Chad "ZORLOC" Petersen

------------------

Old 07-19-1999, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read in a atv mag the reason why NOT and looked thru most of them quick to see what one but didnt find it. Maybe someone can help me out here.

I said some thing about the clasification of a 4 wheeled vehical and seat belts.
it would take a lot of law juglling.

But i agree i would love to drive my Warrior to work hee hee that would be awsome

PS. the artical i think was tied into the MIKE TRYKE artical
Chad "ZORLOC" Petersen

------------------

Quick Reply: STREET LEGAL - why not?