Winching tips and ideas wanted .

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-1999, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although you've already purchased a Warn winch, and I imagine the Warn manual contains some good winching techniques, SuperWinch publishes some excellent and generic winching tips at http://www.superwinch.com/tips.htm

(Since I own both a Warn and a SuperWinch, I guess it's o.k. if I refer you to that Website!)

Knock on wood, I've never required more than one ****** block for my ATV1500-equipped Bayou 300 4X4, and I've gotten its 600 pounds pretty stuck. I must say, however, without the single ****** block, I'd STILL be mired in the mud!

Besides doubling you pulling power, a ****** block give you versatility when you need a pull from an angle, including rearward.

You're on the right track with your winch accessories and inquiry into winching techniques.

Indeed, sometimes the vehicle must be snubbed to pull effectively. At Cochranton, a guy with a brand new 450ES and a Warn 2500, attempting to retrieve his buddy from a slush pit, proceeded instead in steadily winching himself from firm ground on the bank into the ooze (he did not anchor his quad).

At the same mud-hole, I winched out a head-first-mired hapless quadder with a single-line pull on the 1500 # SuperWinch from a braced position. (When the victim reached firm footing on the bank and unhooked, he rode back into the bottomless pit at the exact same spot where I'd just pulled him out, and, to no one's surprise except his, perhaps, proceeded to stick himself again, but that's another story!)

With your ****** block, clevis, and chain (with grab hooks on each end, I presume), you've assembled some critical accessories. Don't forget leather gloves!

I'll mention a some more valuable accessories: auxiliary line and a deadman.

Your winch cable (single pull) reaches 50 feet. Anchor points (e.g., trees and posts) sometimes inconsiderately station themselves beyond that range. Then you need the additional reach of auxiliary line.

Nylon rope is strong, lightweight, versatile, and obtainable from many sources. Saving bulk, I made up a 65-foot (I think) length of 2000 # breaking strength wire rope (1/4" diameter) with slip hooks on each end, looped with thimbles and double cable clips (saddles on live ends), coiled on an H-shaped plastic loom, the kind used for storing electrical cords.

For a deadman, used when no convenient anchor like a tree or post stands, I bought a set of 18" steel tent pegs from Wal-Mart; I plan on driving these stakes at intervals into the ground through chain links, hooking onto the chain as an anchor point when others are unavailable. I carry these tent pegs lashed to my wire rope loom, making up a compact and lightweight package. If you haven't planned ahead this thoroughly, bury a log or a wheel rim for a field-expedient deadman.

To winch yourself out backwards (with a front-mounted winch), snake the winch line under the quad to an anchor point in the rear. A ****** block anchored there, with the line threaded through the pulley and back to the tow bar or rear rack, makes this trick go smoothly, although you can hook directly onto the anchor alone for some rearward pull.

Besides a chain, I'm using more and more nylon tow straps. I had my rigging shop (I&I Sling, (703) 550-9405) make up a custom 1"-wide strap about 8' long (you can buy ready-made wider straps at auto accessory stores, but these are much bulkier and stronger than necessary for ATV application). Tow straps make good "tree protectors" and offer tie-off points, saving kinked winch lines (never hook your winch line to itself on a hard pull or you'll kink your cable, compromising its strength).

Nylon tow straps don't rattle around in the bottom of the tool box annoyingly like chain.

On a hard pull, dampening the cable with a coat, tarp, tree branch or some kind of mass in the middle safeguards against whiplash, should the cable break or the rigging let go. Think about it--you're operating a crossbow with a 2,000 pound pull, storing enough energy to launch a projectile pretty fast; be careful.

Some ATVers carry a comealong instead of or even in addition to their winch; there's something to be said for an extra ton of pull for around $ 15.

PowerSports mall on the ATV Connection is a source for winches and accessories. "Wire Rope" in your telephone yellow pages will take you to suppliers in your area. AW Direct (800) 243-3194 supplies tow truck operators with a wide variety of winching equipment.

A winch can be a life-saver--may you never have to use it for that purpose, but when its moment comes, be equipped and prepared.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-19-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 02:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a Warn 2000 on my machine. I have read the instruction manual and the tips they give but I'm interested in hearing from you guys what tips I can use to make winching safer and easier . I received a package deal with the winch that came with a ****** block , nylon tree strap and a clevise . Have any of you guys ever ran into a situation that would call for more than one ****** block ?

On another board I learned that in some situations it is best to anchor the machine to a fixed object before winching so I added another clevice to the rear hitch and purchased 10 ft. of chain to use as an anchor . I've also read on this board about placing a jacket or something similar over the cable incase it breaks loose . Any other tips or info would be appreciated .

Old 08-23-1999, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

coat your selnoid with spray rubber to waterproof it if mounted in a wet location. I carry 3 tree savers,1 25ft nylon strap,100ft. of nylon rope,****** block,2 landscape tree anchors and 3ft of 5/8 rebar to screw them into them ground. REMEMBER never jerk or pull with your quad while winching, this can cause damage($$$$$$) to your winch, also rev. up your engine while winching, this keeps full power to your winch!!!!

Old 08-24-1999, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Foreman,
Have a back up plan. After having rode in the river up to the front rack on my Yamaha for several hours, I let a buddy ride it so I could ride my Scrambler, well, he got it stuck in a BIG mudhole..
My Superwinch had become Super-waterlogged!
I pulled around to yank him out, and freespooled the line out, when it got to the end, the cable pulled out of the hub.. OH GREAT!!! No 2000+ lbs. of pulling power now, just a Polaris with no low range.
It's all fixed now, but if there hadn't been two quads there somebody could have been in trouble. Whether its a come-a-long, or some long rope that you can attach to the slots in your rear wheel and wrap around your rear axle,(THAT WORKS IF DONE RIGHT!!) NEVER depend on just a winch. I've seen NEW warns that worked great at home, but when they were REALLY needed, had no power going to them.(NOT just Warn's)
Its just a Thought!!

Old 08-24-1999, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point! SuperWinch and Warn cables are sometimes fastened via a metal tab to the spool sides; sometimes by press-fit plugs; it's a good idea to unreel the cable and check to see if the cable ends remain securely fastened once in a while. (The cable end connections are not designed to hold a load; these connections function merely to position the cable for the initial spool wraps that actually grip the load.)

My 8000 # Warn truck winch cable came loose from the spool once because the 1/4" X 20 bolt holding the tab end onto the spool side backed out of its threads. When I replaced the cable, I swaged a loop on the end, fastening it so it's unlikely to work loose again.

As to backup systems, the non-freespooling 1978-vintage SuperWinch ATV1500s come with a "handsaver bar" that can be inserted in the winch side and used as a hand crank for manual winch operation, in case the electrical system fails.

Manual operation of these SuperWinch models is pretty slow, but usually quicker than waiting in the swamp for a heavy-lift helicopter evacuation.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-25-1999).]

Old 08-24-1999, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've got an atv 1500 on my girls(io year old) timberwolf and it does free-spool, the only grip i have with superwinch is that it's noiser than my warn and short on rope, the atv 2000 were not available in 98.

Old 08-24-1999, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Tree,
I wish my Superwinch (1500) did that. Its a year or maybe a year and a half old and its the type that freespools but no hand crank option.
I think when I buy a new machine, I'm gonna look into the Rule 3300 winch.

Old 08-25-1999, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have the RULE 3300 and love it.This winch is heavy duty.Constant pulling power out of deep mud holes and up inclines/killer hills not possible to drive up with no apparent stress to the winch so far.Freespools and with mechanical brake.Rated waterproof as well.(Designed for marine use.)I would reccomend this one to all who are interested.Got mine with a mount for my quad and a fairlead roller with shipping for around $450 if I remember correctly.A bit "pricey" but so far worth every penny.

2000 450ES Red.