Another Black eye for ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Black eye for ATV's

WASHINGTON — An estimated 740 people, a record, died in all-terrain vehicle accidents last year, the government said Thursday as it took a step toward oversight of the vehicles.
The estimated toll, which includes 470 documented cases, compares with an estimated 617 deaths in 2003, and estimates between 538 and 599 annual deaths in the previous three years, according to a report from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (search) Thursday.

Also, an all-time high of at least 136,100 people went to the hospital last year for injuries involving the four-wheel motorcycles that have a wide seat and low stand, and a third of those hurt were younger than 16.

In 2003, there were at least 125,500 injuries.

"We have a serious national epidemic in this country of people getting killed and injured in very large numbers when they ride ATVS," said Rachel Weintraub, director of product safety at the Consumer Federation of America (search).

The group is pushing for ATV regulation, especially for child use of the adult-sized vehicles.

The commission said it is considering putting in place federal rules for ATVs and is taking public comment for 60 days.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

My gosh! Doesn't the GOV have more things to worry about then what the public does for recreation? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can send Ms. Weintraub your thoughts on this at rweintraub@cpsc.gov [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

You take a huge risk every time you get out of bed in the morning. There are absolutely risks in riding or driving or flying in anything that moves faster than you can walk. If you are of age (17-18) you are responsible for your actions. If you are underage your parents are guardians should make sure that you have proper training or equipment, I don't think the government has any business trying to lawyer up against the manufacturers. There are several other ways to get injured that probably have similiar numbers. Just sit wrapped in bubble wrap all day long, and your will be fine.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

what really chaffs my *** about this is they neglected to mention the skyrocketing sales in proportion to the increase of accidents/fatalities. Safety training may be a huge factor in this as well. I said "may be" since no matter how much we educate some people, they will not change their riding habits. How many of these kids under the age of 16 that made up 30% of the fatalities had any form of accredited safety training?

Be sure in your replies that you keep your comments civil, diplomatic, factual, and to the point. Anything but only helps "their" cause and makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I wonder where they get this "estimated" versus documented deaths. They need to give hard numbers. Until you have hard numbers, you could be pulling them out of your @ss.

The increase of 2004 over 2003 was 20%. That's pretty substantial. Was there an increase of 20% the number of machines and/or riders year over year?

It would be interesting to see the stats on a state by state basis as well.

How do these stats compare to other modes of transportation? Bicycles, Motorcycles, Scooters, Skateboards, Rollerskates/Rollerblades and autos.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This year...My wife and daughter both went to the ER for Tripping While WALKING, and got a sprain.....no one in the family got hurt while riding ATV's....So I think they need regulations on WALKING!!!!!!.............I think you get my point...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
This year...My wife and daughter both went to the ER for Tripping While WALKING, and got a sprain.....no one in the family got hurt while riding ATV's....So I think they need regulations on WALKING!!!!!!.............I think you get my point...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I think you're on to something there. I seen people that couldn't walk, let alone operate any type of motorized vehicle.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt the actual percentage's of riders getting killed is any higher, it is just that there is more riders in general these days, the sport has boomed here lately. The more riders, the more deaths.

Example, lets just say there are 100 riders and 5 die, that is 5%. Then next year we have 200 riders and 10 die, that is still 5%.

My best friend just died on a quad about 2 months ago, and me and the rest of my friends have not given up riding because of it. I mean it is either take a chance of getting killed on something we enjoy, or wait around being depressed until we get old and die naturally or maybe even die young anyways by another type of accident.

Speaking of depression, I think this is the best stress reliever there is! I have had a lot of things to be depressed over in my life but when I go do what I enjoy like ride it makes me have a clear head when I come home. They say America is full of depressed people, I say get them all riding![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

As a follow up, here's the actual report that started that article. It's 20 pages and I'll read it in a little bit (have an errand to do.)

To quickly boil your blood I direct you to page 5! The article is COMPLTELY misleading. The TOTAL of deaths EVER (going back to 1982 increased by 702! That's what...22 years! ACTUAL reported deaths DECREASED year over year 2003 to 2004 by 99!

One must always remember: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." -- Mark Twain (IIRC)

LEP: Where did you get that article? Looks like a short AP wireservice article.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Another Black eye for ATV's