Inexpensive trailer floor... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to rebuild my trailer soon and need suggestions on type of floor to use. Right now it is expanded steel(like a landscaping trailer)I like this but it is $50 a 4x8 sheet to replace. The trailer is 14x6 thus I need 4 sheets minimum Ouch! I was thinking about chain link fencing stretched and tac welded in several places just a thought. I would like to keep it light, but I`m open for suggestions as the title says.
Thanks in advance.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 10-29-2000, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Egg; Being a carpenter by trade, I would suggest the use of green treated plywood. I used 3/4" thick 4x8 sheets on a 2 place sled trailer I built recently. It was $25. a sheet at a local Menards.
If the supports or crossmembers of your trailer frame are close enough together 5/8" thick can be used for additional weight & $ savings.
Good luck with your project. Gary

Old 10-29-2000, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I second that. The 3/4 inch stuff should be stiff enough for most applications, will resist weathering the best and is thick enough to bolt stuff down to it or cut holes in it. My frind and I modified a waverunner trailer with treated so we could use to haul the waverunners, quads, and stuff for the yard! There is a company in this area called Fastenal that sells a flat headed self drilling screw that is ideal for attaching wood to trailers. I think they sell a similar screw at Menards and Home Depot but theirs have a smaller head. The screws aren't cheap but they make the job fly and they're plated to resist rust.

Old 10-29-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

It`s been a while since I priced pressure treated plywood I thought closer to $40 a sheet. I`ll have to check the local Homedepot for their price. The crossmembers are going to be stratigically (spelling?) placed where the tires will be depending on load, 2 quads length wise or 3 across. The self tapping screws seem like a good idea also the frame is 2x2 3/16 wall square tubing drilling big holes for carriage bolts might weaken it also.
Thanks for the input guys! I still would like open steel because I do wash them right on the trailer sometimes. Maybe I`ll look into used or surplus if nothing then plywood it is.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 10-30-2000, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

I am having the same problem. My trailer is 8x16. I was thinking maybe treated 2x6. Run them 2 inchs apart parallel with the trailer. That way water would not sit on it as bad as with plywood. Plus 2 inches is big enough for most mud chunks to get washed through. I would like to go with a heavier expanded steel then what is on most landscaping trailers, but it is about $60 a sheet around here. I could get 1/4 diamond plate for about the same price, but I wonder about the weight. Please post what you decide to do and why, because I still havn't decided myself :-0

Old 11-01-2000, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

How close together are your floor supports? If they are close enough together, you could try wire mash paneling. It is a heavy welded wire sheet about 4 feet by 16 feet. Behlen crib panels are the very best, but hard to find. Red Brand hog panels are next best. They cost about $22 per panel for the Behlen, or $18 for the hog panel. They are welded steel rods about 1/4 in. in diameter, spaced about 2 inches apart, with openings about 2 inches by 6 inches. The Behlen panels are quite strong, probably could handle a stringer every 2 feet easily, the Red Brand maybe every 16 or 18 inches or so, to carry the weight of a quad. If the crossmembers will match the wheel spacing of your quads, all the better. I would guess the strength of the better panels to be about like 5/8 plywood. Being steel, they can be easily tackwelded to the trailer. Most are galvanized to resist rust, too. Just grind it off on the spot where you are going to weld - just takes a second, and the weld will be much stronger...and try to avoid the fumes as they can irritate your throat...drinking milk helps relieve it, why I don't know. I don't know if they would be what you are looking for, but are much stronger than chain link fence.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I have been told by welder friend that my plans are junk good thing he`s a friend. I will be using 2x3 3/16 wall square tubing and pressure treated 5/4 decking probably 1 1/2 to 2 inch spacing between them.
He says to build it this way. Use one piece of tubing to run from the rear of trailer all the way to the tonge the "backbone". Box the length and the width with the 2x3. Then run 2x2 angle between the perimeter rails and the "backbone" on 2 foot centers. Then attach the decking length wise to the angle.
I will most likely do this because he`s welding it.
Thanks again!

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 11-03-2000, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pressure treated 5/4 decking is a good idea. Look around for an outlet (usually a contractor type lumber yard) that sells kiln dried pressure treated 5/4. (one brand name is ***) The kiln dried is sold at an 18% moisture content as opposed to the close to 40% that you'll find at Home Depot or Lowes. The 2 big advantages - much lighter in weight and as the wood weathers and dries the kiln dried will not shrink and warp very much, some pieces of regular P.T. can rip bolts right through the wood after some sun exposure. The kiln dried costs about 10% more but it's worth it, it's easier to saw and even looks better.
To save weight either increase the spacing or use smaller planks. Typical 5/4 board is 6" wide (5 1/4" actual), some places carry 4" wide (3 1/2" actual) or you can rip the 6" in half. Either way gives you more space and less weight.

Old 11-03-2000, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

jaybeecon55
Thanks for the info on pressure treated decking. I was worried about that because it is stored outside when not in use. I was going to try and combat this by using a 1" metal strip under the head of the bolts instead of washers. It just so happens I can make them in 316 stainless at work. I do like your idea and will look into it, the lower weight and better looks are enticing. I priced regular 5/4 PT at HomeDepot today 12 footer is $8.45. Even 10% more still keeps it under $10 each.

Was going to get the money out of the savings today to do this but the boss (aka wife) caught me and said wait till after xmas. I`ll have to come up with a stronger case before to long. Once the snow flies it`ll suck, trailering an unpainted trailer on salted roads.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250