hauling your atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pickup owners,
I just got a pickup a couple months ago and wanted a tonnou cover but also wanted the flexability to haul my atv.

Ideally I was looking for something I didn't have to remove everytime I wanted to haul my atv. It was looking like one of those vinyl soft covers with either the snaps or the kind with the frame that clamped in, in any case not what I really wanted.

I ended up finding a hard shell cover called the VersaCap from www.snowbear.com and installed it last weekend. It works great!!

It opens up in such a way that you have full use of your pickup box from wheel well to wheel well so you can drive you 4 wheeler in the pickup box. When closed it's lockable and secure.

Just thought I'd post my findings in case anyone else out there was looking for the same thing.

Old 10-21-1999, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use a trailer myself, because I don't have a pickup, but I am looking for some kind of cover to put over the ATV, because as it is at the moment it put up a lot of wind resistance, decreasing my mileage significantly. I once saw a cover advertised (I think it was made of neoprene) which was supposed to be suitable for towing, but now I can't remember where I saw it. Surely a normal ATV cover wouldn't last very long if it were used while towing, right?

Stadleroux

Old 10-22-1999, 05:00 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Regarding the ATV cover for towing, I bought a cover from Cabelas or the Sportsman's Guide (can't remember which, but same item is in both catalogs). It is heavy nylon-like and has very stiff elastic at the bottom. Its a real struggle to get it on the ATV and it grips tight under the fenders or all the way down to the tires. I would suspect that it would not come loose even at hi-way speeds.

Old 10-23-1999, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I had two covers from a company called Kimpex. 10 minutes down the road, the covers are in shreads. I had the covers held on with many rubber 'bungie' cords.

It just didn't stand up.

The only type of cover I can imagine that will stand up is a canvas cover. Be careful of where it rubs on the machines. A folded bath towel on the contact points will keep the canvas from rubbing too much. I saw a person who had it attached to the front of the trailer, and he pulled it over the machines to the back. On the back and the sides, he used 'bungie' cords to attach it. He loved it. In Canada, the roads in the winter are really 'salty' and it doesn't do wonders for your machines. This setup seemed to work fine.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R