*Kids Quad
*High Performance machine

Suzuki:
*Sport quad!
*Sport quad!

Yamaha:
*A nice YZ400F powered quad
*Grizzly needs IRS

This is what I think the manufacturers need, what do you all think? Do you agree, if not, give your opinions and why. Also, Suzuki might want to take the Quadrunner 250 4x4 out of their lineup, who would buy this instead of the King Quad? All but Polaris and Arctic Cat, utility machine with 2wd/4wd option, true four wheel drive, and maybe Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 11-16-1999).]

Rooster:
This post is of a general nature and is not specific to Honda ATVs. That is why it was moved.
ATVBBS

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 11-16-1999).]

Old 11-16-1999, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rooster,
I can't speak for all of them, but as for Polaris, They need to build a Scrambler 500 2WD weighing a MAXIMUM of 400 lbs.
Honda, needs to up the power and cc's of their line-up, give them 2/4 wd option.. (TRUE 4wd/AWD.. NOT 3WD) and more ground clearance. And either seal the LCD display or quit voiding peoples warranties when they do it themselves!
I agree, ALL manufacturers that don't already have a kids line-up SHOULD have one!!.. This is a FAMILY sport..
Yamaha, well, I'm probably NOT the person you want to ask about a Yamaha... so No Comment!!..
Polaris reliability is way better than it used to be, but unfortunately, there are still some older problem plagued machines out there. Although I personally think the Sportsman ought to be a 600-650 to not make it SO close to the Magnum.
Honda seems to always wait on everybody else (playing it safe) before they do anything new.. THAT needs to change, they have a big enough following that they should show off some cutting edge design and really floor everybody with something new.. As you said, a SPORT 4X4.. there is NOTHING to compete against the Scrambler series.. Honda needs to have a more extensive line-up (more like Polaris) NOTE: Honda owners, please don't shoot the messenger at this point!!!..
Anyway, those are a few observations I've noticed... somebody please feel free to add to it!!!!...
Robster

Old 11-16-1999, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Not too nitpick your post mudmachine. But I would call the Honda Rubicon cutting edge technology. With over one hundred engine patens, I believe this qualifies as the
"most" forward progress of any manufacture.
The Scrambler series by Polaris is nice, but it is a little too much of both worlds. Too heavy to be a "true" sport machine, but too "sporty" to be a utility machine. They are in a class by themselves.
No matter what any given manufacture will produce in the lineup, there will always be someone there to complain about. Why didn't they do it this way? Why didn't they do that? Why? Why? Why?
About the only way your are going to get the perfect atv, is to customize one yourself. Manufactures just setup their quads to appeal to the masses.
But the important thing is to be out there enjoying the sport.

later
Chris "00" 300EX

Old 11-16-1999, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

Manufacturers say they want/need market share.

Why can't any one of the atv manufacturers cough up less profit on their m.s.r.p., either by lowering wholesale prices or offer more dealer and consumer rebates which would inevitably increase the manufacturers market share and then ultimately profits.

These toys are a blast but cost way too much $$$.

Old 11-16-1999, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah,
Rubicon will probably be a nice machine when it comes out.. but still no 2/4 wd option?
Scramblers can run with all the big-dogs.. I ride with Honda 450's Yamaha 4x4's, and other Polaris quads.. and have never run into a situation where I can't stay with them, and in MANY cases.. OUT-PERFORM them... We all climb hills to an extent, but when it comes to vertical shelves you have to jump up to continue on up the hill, I go ALONE!!!.. In the mud, I just yesterday out-mudded a Honda 450s (stock tires) Sorry, although this isn't the posts origional intent, I HAVE to defend my Scrambler!!.. I've owned a Honda 300 EX.. and while fun in the manicured stuff, and good for carving trails and decent at jumping.. It IS underpowered and almost completely useless in the mud.. But, it, as with the Scrambler, DOES have its place in the ATV world.
Ya know, thats what these forums consist alot of... OPINIONS!!!...
Later

Old 11-16-1999, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Okay okay, I've got it; I might just make my own perfect quad like Cstark suggested.It would consist of Polaris innovation and Honda reliability. I could call it a, Ponda, or something.
BushHog
P.S. Im starting on the blue prints...
'99 Sportsman 335

Old 11-17-1999, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Here's something to consider: A Scrambler 500 4x4 which weighs under 400 lbs.

If they did make them, they would have to lighten the frame, lighten the drive parts (axels, shafts, front gearbox, etc.).

The one thing I notice with mine is when people see it for the first time, they want to know what I tow with it. I have to tell them it is more for sport riding than utility.

Can you imagine Polaris making a lighter Scrambler and then some owners are dissapointed that it doesn't tow, or it snaps a drivetrain part? It is kind of a Catch 22. You make a 4x4 and people want to use it for utility. You make a utility, and people want to sport ride it.

I guess the closest comparisons would be the european 'rally' cars which are all wheel drive. They really smoke and the 4x4 makes them capable of screaming down the muddy or dirt based roads. But you couldn't pull a u-haul trailer behind them.

I would be pretty cool to see a 4x4 Banshee. I just don't know how you would be able to hold it together, and keep the weight down.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 11-17-1999, 02:10 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. the Ponda.. I like that..Good one..
I have been riding other peoples machines for a few years, trying to find the one I want. I tryed the Foreman 400, it was ok I guess, but that opinion applies to all Honda 4x4's. Most of my friends have Polaris..Sportsman 500.. Xplorer 400..and a Scrambler 500. I have to say that the Scrambler was awesome, I loved riding it, but we are from Canada & mostly ride in the mountains with lots of mud, lots of rivers to cross, lots of hills to climb. I have to say though that every time we went out the Polaris's consistently had problems. Either the belts would slip in water, or the 2WD/4WD switch wouldnt work, it seemed that every time that we stopped, someone was fixing something. So I went right out on the line and bought the Y2K LT500 Quadrunner. Its not perfect, but it goes like hell, and has'nt let me down yet.

Old 11-17-1999, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Renn,
Thats why I said Scrambler 500 2WD.. They have the Sport 400 2WD/Scrambler 400 2WD... But, WHY they don't make a Scrambler 500 2WD is beyond me. I'm fixing to start converting my 97 Scrambler 500 to 2WD only. It might take a year, but since Polaris won't build it, I guess I'll have to try.
Trash all the 4wd stuff, floorboards, most of the electronics, and start replacing steel stuff with aluminum counterparts.. I think (NOTE.. THINK!!) I can get to the 400 pound range...I agree, to try and build a 400 lb. Scrambler 500 4x4 would just be asking to tear stuff up.. But, I DO think its possible with a 2WD.
Later, Robert...

BTW.. Sorry Rooster, we seem to be getting WAY off the subject!!..

Old 11-25-1999, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Arctic Cat needs to build a 600+cc 4x4 with a 6 speed (with 6th being a true over drive) manual trans, the Auto's 2wd/4wd front axle, the 99 model 500's tires, the suspention of the 300 except with 10+ inches of travel with ajustable preload, different plastic, a wider seat, and fuel injection.