Only Ankle Deep, But I Dove In Head First

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1999, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can always e-mail it to you and it can serve as a formal apology! Here's my standpoint. I'm spitting out a story for everyone to get a good laugh at. I'm not asking for suggestions on spending cash to prevent future altercations. __IT Happens! Everyone here goes to tell me how I need to carry all this recovery equipment. Mainly one guy said it and the others had nothing good to say so they just repeated it. Whoopity hoo!! I'm not looking for suggestions over and over again, I'm waiting for somebody else to spit out a good "I got stuck" story. There was no profanity in my deleted post either (not saying that it shouldn't have been deleted, just stating fact for all those deprived of reading it).

Sounds like you need to invest in some of that winching junk!!!! Might as well have said "Sounds like you need to get a Polaris!" Maybe I should have bought a bridgelayer instead of a quad. Or maybe, just maybe, I should have got a Max!

Increase the Peace and savor the flavor.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-01-1999, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I see Bash-em is back at it.

Is it just me or does he have something bad to say about any comment that someone has to say about his posts?

It seems as though it don't take much to offend him.

Is it because he's mad that his all mighty cat got stuck?

Just my thoughts....

Old 12-01-1999, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K., Andy!

You say, "I'm spitting
out a story for everyone to get a good laugh at. I'm not asking for suggestions on spending cash to
prevent future altercations."

Why not post this caveat on your next similar post? Harold, the other Forum readers, and I are not mind-readers. How would we know a suggestion on how you might avoid future problems would offend you? Please let us know in advance, next time!

Regarding your aversion to "spending money," you DID buy a winch (instead of a $ 15 comealong)! A ****** block, costing and weighing less than a tenth of your winch, doubles its pulling power. Yet I would not presume suggesting you obtain one; only you can determine its worth to you. You may consider a ****** block "crap;" I consider it a lifesaver.

Tree Farmer

P.S. You said you buggered the end of your winch cable and intend cutting and clamping it. You DO know how to install cable clips corrctly, right? How many, and the appropriate spacing? Which cable end, the load-bearing or the dead (short) end, the saddles and the U-bolts should go on? (I'm joking, Andy! Flame me if you must, but my intent is in fun. It's your cable, hook it up any way you want. Even, "saddle a dead horse," if you must!) Best wishes,

T.F.

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 12-01-1999).]

Old 12-01-1999, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Andy, when i first read your comments on getting stuck i did get a laugh, but when you read my comments :seems like you nee to invest in some winching junk: you failed to see the humor in my statement(dry as it was) oh well, have a nice holiday!!

Old 12-01-1999, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

ANDY! You should have bought a Sportsman 500! True 4-wheel drive!

Old 12-01-1999, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

OK you guys - leave Andy alone. He might decide to leave this site and take his atv to go play in the leafmold mud!

Nothing personal, Andy, but I just can't resist posting a wise crack once in great while.

I did enjoy reading about your adventure.

[This message has been edited by pdavis (edited 12-01-1999).]

Old 12-01-1999, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Andy, The first weekend I had my Sportsman 500 I got it stuck on the side of a dried up lake. It looked like it could be a little muddy on the side but who cares I am on a Sportsman 500 I won't get stuck! As soon as I hit the goo my tires started to spin, all four of them. I was badly hung up and no amount of digging was getting me out. Luckily I was riding with somebody but it was unlucky that he was riding a CR 250 so he was no help at pulling me out. It was getting dark so I asked my friend on the cr if I could ride it up to the store on the corner so I could call my girlfriend who has a jeep. He didn't mind and told me to have fun, he sat there with the other person who I was doubling until I got back. The only way to get to the store and back before it got dark was to take the road for about three miles. We were way out in the country so I figured it would be alright to zip down the road and back since I didn't have a headlight on the cr. I made it to the store and called my girl with a jacked up jeep and she said she was on her way. I took off and headed back down to the lake. I was following two cars over this small hill when a state trooper came by heading the other direction. I looked back to see if he saw me and sure enough he was spining around and the blue lights came on. This was a race modified cr 250 I was on so I hammered down the trottle and I was gone! I had to go around a corner and down a hill before I came to the turn off for the path to the lake. I zipped into the woods leaned the bike down and about a minute later the state trooper flew by. I just thought to myself I will never do that again!! I know it was bad to run but under all of the different circumstances going on and as close as I was, I was gone! Well I got up and headed don the trail on the guys bike when all of a sudden both them came running out of the woods! WOW we thought a pack of harleys were screaming down the road and we looked up and seen you. I am glad you made it back before dark with my bike! After about ten minutes of talking about what I just did, we saw my girlfriend pull up in her big bad jeep! I said watch this she will pull me out real quick. As she was turning around to get a good pull she sank her jeep down the same way I did with my Sportsman. Now I was in BIG TROUBLE for getting her out there! She let me have it! Now I had to go back to the store a use the phone again to call a tow truck. This time I walked the 3 miles. I was very dark now and man was it getting cold. The tow truck arrived and he looked where we were at and said I can't bring the truck down there or I'll get stuck, Boy did I ever get the evil eye from my girlfriend, then he said but I do have a truck at my house with 42s on it, I'll go get it but it is going to cost ya. I need to get out so I said how much $174.00. 30 minutes later with the slight jerk of a chain the jeep and my sportsman was unstuck but my pocket was alot lighter.
BTW- that's a good one I've never heard, "Increase the peace, savor the flavor"

Old 12-02-1999, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your uncle knows how to clamp cable, Andy!

I used to think (incorrectly) the saddle went on the dead end. My reasoning: if the cable slips through the clamp U-bolt, then the saddle will slide to the loop eye or thimble, where the saddle will stop and the cable can slip no more.

However, all the wire rope manufacturers say, "Never saddle a dead horse;" further, I once contacted Dr. Costello of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, an internationally-recognized expert on wire rope, who explained to me why the saddle goes on the "live" end and the U-bolt on the "dead" one.

Whatever precipitates your next adventure, Andy, it WON'T likely be an improperly clamped winch cable!

Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 12-02-1999, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good Post MyScrambler. Thats what I was expecting.

Tree Farmer- Good point but I was a step ahead though. I took the bike to my uncles and he used that "Saddling a dead horse" saying when he put the clamps on. Said he learned it when he was working on the railroad clamping much larger cables with a bit more riding on the clamp than I would ever have. Used a cutting torch to cut off the frayed end so it would leave a clean melted looking end on the cable as well. I only lost 2 ft. off my 50 ft. cable and did't have to cough up $60 for another cable either.

As for the $$$ thing. The winch was $100 financed along with the bike during Arctic Cat's promotion sale last October. I would never have gotten a winch if I didn't get a deal on it. That Benjamin also included the heavy steel mounting plate that replaces the screen in front of the radiator and the roller fairlead (a $35 value in itself). It is a worthy addition and a good security blanket, but not something I would have ever paid $300 plus for.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-02-1999, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

Don't ya just hate it when that happens?
I know I do!

Quick Reply: Only Ankle Deep, But I Dove In Head First