Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When what happens?

Old 12-03-1999, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Andy that statment about I wouldn't have paid $300 bucks for a winch.How much would you have paid for one at that moment had you not had that one.Been there and done that,Iwouldn't have a quad without one but thats only me.

Old 12-06-1999, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Thanks for sharing that story. I never got stuck until I got a winch for my Suzy KQ. First time was riding a trail by the City Sewer line. You guessed it, I hit a nasty bog hidden by autumn leaves. I do mean "NASTY!" It didn't take me long to winch myself out, but I was a whole lot more fragrant for the rest of my ride.

Old 12-07-1999, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Cob! I probably wouldn't have gone in it if I didn't have the winch. There wasn't any good winching point close by, but I had a feeling that I could figure something out which I did. Without the winch, I would have just avoided it. There were plenty of other places to ride that day. I wouldn't pay the $300 for a winch because I just don't use it much. For $100, it was worth it, and I got it mainly for the looks to be truthfull. Arctic Cat has the best mount available, unless you go for some of those nasty full grill jobs that you can find for hondas or other things from aftermarket companies. From the factory, nothing fits and looks better than the AC mount.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-07-1999, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

TreeFarmer--I just have to know--WHY does the saddle go on the "live" side of the cable?

Old 12-07-1999, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ok heres a little tale.

I'm riding down this railbed minding my own business pretty far ahead of the rest of the pack. So I decide to pull in the clutch and coast for a while to slow down.I glide into an open strech right next to a real small town.Slowing down I happen to catch a glimce of this girl a 100 yards up the hill wearing a bikini and bending over to set up her lounge chair.
Slowing down even more and starting to strain my neck to the right to get a better look.
Then no sooner than I get a good bead on her, My left front tire catches a wash out on the left side of the trail.And instantly I'm sent down a five foot enbankment, Neck still turned to the right.And "Crash" into a thorn bush up to my gas tank.DOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH T.
Unable to free myself and pissed, Than I turn around and see my friend pull up with a strange look through his helmet.Like,What are you doing!!All I said was "Give me the rope"
He pulled me out, And we were on our way!

I am not going,.....Well I hope I'm not going to do that again!!!!

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 12-07-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Did the chick see you take the spill?

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-10-1999, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RedRooster: Proper rigging is important, because a wire rope under 2000 # stress stores lots of energy; should it suddenly let go, a facefull of a mass of 3/16" cable at about 1300 feet-per-second could ruin someone's modeling career.

TXDoc2: (Simplified version, in the interest of space.) The live end of the cable carries higher stress than the dead end; the saddle grips better than the U-bolt and thus belongs on the live end. "Never saddle a dead horse."

Tree Farmer

Old 12-10-1999, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks TreeFarmer! Sometime I'll tell you about Texas Chapstick.

Old 12-10-1999, 06:21 AM
Trailblazer

thats nothing! Try being in my shoes, I have a Polaris 2x4 that I've had stuck plenty of times, with NO WINCH...

I've been stuck like you wouldn't believe! Once I had to cross a small clay river bed where a construction crew had been digging in the back of my woods, I tried to haul *** through it so that the momentum alone would prevent me from getting stuck...but with no hope, instantly my front wheels got burried (you know how that can be)...the suction from the clay itself wouldn't let me pick up the front or rear end...after about 4 hours of digging, I started walking home...about 3 miles, then I got my father who then followed me back to my quad with a shovel and a long 2x4 that we found.

..we then dug out all of the mud from around it, and used the 2x4 as a leverage, to life one side at a time out and stick rocks in the ruts...

I really need to invest in a 4x4 and/or a good winch.
-Trent Hopkins
Houston, TX

Quick Reply: Only Ankle Deep, But I Dove In Head First