ATV TELEVISION

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, let me give everyone the schedule - and the network that ATV Television is on:

The Outdoor Channel (not OLN): Although around 15 million of our households are cable, still the best way to be sure you get The Outdoor Channel is to get a satelite dish from DishNetwork. They always have promos available for people switching from cable. DishNetwork has bought the (much) larger satelite system Direct TV but it may be next year before everything is approved and we're braodcast there.

Our new times for the 2002 season:

ATV-
Mon. 4:00pm EST
Wed. 9:00pm EST
Thurs. 9:30am EST

4x4TV-
Mon. 4:30pm EST
Wed. 9:30pm EST
Fri. 9:30am EST

To answer a few questions brought up (and a few not!) I'll say this;

My opinions are based on having been an avid off-road enthusiast for 40 years (30 of which are adult years!). I have also been blessed with a pretty complete education including post graduate school. I've been a professional racer, a graduate from Yamaha Tech School, and a magazine writer! As with everything in life, a valid opinion starts with a thorough knowledge. Our knowledge here starts with a shop that is consistently home to 25-35 of the newest and most significant ATVs on the market. It continues with our ability to access the manufacturers technicians, engineers, test riders and product developers. And finally, while we enjoy our job, this is our job, and therefore spend a great amount of time with the ATVs and accessories.

With that said, it has always been my goal with the show to provide access for you to my incredibly extrodinary world! If you use the show with the idea that with every episode you get to visit with the guy down the street who is lucky enough to have the awesome job, you'll get a better idea of how I want ATV to be seen.

While my opinions may not always be popular, or the same as yours, I can guarentee that they are based on a heck of a lot of experience and as much of a lack of bias as humanly possible.

And while our programming may not always be exactly as you would like, the ATV market is a broad spectrum of people and tastes, and so I try to please as many ATVers as I can while irritating the fewest. That's not always possible as sometimes the purest adventure is when you do what you really enjoy the most. And hopefully I am allowed to do that. Remember, you are visiting me. And I'll remember you are there.

And finally, I'm glad you enjoy my friend Ray "Watch this!" Sedorchuk when he's on the show. He' not only a good guy, but one of the best and most fearless riders I've had the pleasure of ATVing with! (Don't let that go to your head Ray, or I'll be forced to really tell them the truth!)

Doug Meyer/A-TV

Old 01-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Doug,
Thanks for taking the time to visit the forum and post your viewpoint. Its always great when someone in a position like yours takes the time to respond directly to comments and questions.

Old 01-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Doug

Thanks for taking the time to check out the forum and respond to some of my comments (no matter how negative they are). I will try to keep this post a little more positive than the last post. You are right, you have one of the best jobs in the world.

I really liked the shows you did at the Adelade Grand Prix, the White Bros. 4 stroke nationals, and the MOAB series was just awesome. As noted above, I liked the Hatfield McCoy shows, but wanted to see more trail footage. Hopefully you will return there and have better weather for some better trail footage.

I hope that I didn't imply that you didn't know what you are talking about. Realizing that you probably ride more in one year than I will in my life, I do value your opinions on the atvs, however, your opinion is just one person's opinion. I would still like to hear the opinions of all the riders in your test sessions so that I could hear several differing points of view.

I do have one question for you, does Ray treat his own atv like he treats the manufacturers (taking the Polaris 700 into chest deep water)?

Again thanks for responding,
MagnumMudMan

P.S. I still prefer that the auto shifter be on the right hand side of the atv (I own a Polaris utility quad)!

Old 01-21-2002, 05:53 PM

Yes! I have put my machine in plenty of deep mud and water, if you look around the page you will find plenty of articles with my ATV (Foreman 450)in some deep stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2002, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just thought I'd check back in so I could explain "Controls 101" as a defense for my shifter must be on the left opinion. Riding always requires at least one hand on the handlebars at all times. You really should also have one hand (and foot!) ready at/on the brakes, and one hand working the throttle for engine control. That doesn't really leave a hand available for shifting unless you come from Charlotte's Web! The best and safest and most controlable riding is to have the right hand hold on to the bars, work the throttle, and hold the front brake (What no front brake on a Polaris?!). That leaves the left hand free to shift! And that's easiest when you don't have to reach over the tank. Now you may say, "Why not use your foot on the foot brake?" To that I'll answer that sometimes in awkward situations you may need to have that foot ready to put down or hold you up. And for Polaris owners, the foot brake only operates the rear brake anyway! This is not just a way to pick on Polaris, but the Polaris control system is rather unique in the motorcycle/ATV industry. That is why none of us that have ridden a lot of motorcycles and ATCs/ATVs ever feel really comfortable with their controls.

Hopefully that makes some sense without sounding too down on Polaris controls, but MagnumMudMan you've got to feel more comfortable with the controls on the 400EX than the TrailBlazer for blastin' through the woods!

Well, I'm off to visit with Ray for a while! Oh yeah, I've never seen him ride his own ATV so I don't know how he treats it. All I know is I wouldn't let him ride mine (if I had one!)

Old 01-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Ray! What's up with these silly symbols/characters and the "Weekend Warrior" stuff? I'm a little new at this forum business but isn't there something a bit, ah, more, like I'd like? You know what I mean don't ya?

Old 01-21-2002, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I know. It has been a while since I registered on the forums, I do remember there was not much to pick from. At least nothing to fit your lifestyle, such as cool little sports cars or swimsuit models[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would have to agree with Doug, when it comes to extreme riding or just getting your self into a bad situation, a rider needs as much help as possible. Controls weather they be good brakes or the start in gear feature, we need each feature.
Hey, I better get back to packing, I always do everything @ the last minute...

Old 01-22-2002, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

Doug

Again thanks for replying. I would agree that you need to keep a hand free for braking while in rough situations, but on a Polaris, the left hand is used for braking. This brakes both the front and rear brakes. I would also agree with you that the foot break is not a substitute for having the hand free for braking, especially as weak as the Polaris rear brakes are.

The differences between the 400ex and Polaris Magnum controls are many. I like the Polaris controls for working (snowplowing and towing) and playing in the mud and the 400ex controls for riding hard and fast. Once you get used to the controls on each, it becomes like second nature to switch machines. As many atv's as you get to ride, you probably have tried about every controls combination available. Any personal favorites?

Any preview on future shows? Possibly the Adelade Grand Prix again?

PS The "weekend warrior" thing is based on the number of post you make to the forum.

Old 01-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Wow, nice to see both Ray and Doug posting here. I've been watching your shows (ATV & 4x4TV), Doug, and have enjoyed them. Some are not as crisp & exciting as others, but I religiously watch them. As a Ford Diesel owner, I especially enjoy see the Powerstroke on both shows, and think that it's great that you are fixing it up.
I would like to see you do a show on Wayne National Forest here in Southern Ohio. We had preceded you to Hatfield/McCoy, and loved it as much as you. Next time you go, check out the Paradise Island Campground. Owners are strong Christians and very accomodating, and the campgound (in Christian) is close to RockHouse, and on the way to Buffalo Mountain (halfway between Man & Gilbert).
Ray, I figured out that was you getting crazy in the Polaris ride at the King's ranch. I especially like the floating Polaris, where it looked like it was being "walked" down the stream.
Doug, I noticed your penchant for slow-going, and rock-crawling, although putting the Polaris on it's side was a little crazy. I really enjoyed your show on the Prairie 650. My wife and I both watch the shows when they're one. Thanks for sacrificing some personal stuff (your Sammy, and I thought you said a LandCruiser) so that you could put the show on. I hope you believe it is worth it. I didn't give anything up like you did, but I think your shows are worth it!
Can I suggest a show on how (and not how-to..i.e Do & Don'ts) use an ATV winch, as well as doing a bit on the show on advanced riding tips (like crossing a fallen log, or hillclimbing/descending)? Could you also mention that tearing up a riding area by breaking the rules (like riding in off-limits areas, or breaking things along the trail) means that more money that could've gone to improvements or new features are instead spent on repairing thhose things. Not all riders seem to understand that!

Old 01-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I like the recent Suzuki Vinson/ eiger show where you simply ask the Suzuki guy why the controls are on different sides of the Quad. 500 on the left and 400 on the right. The suzuki guy just said some smart alec remark and then totaly switched subjects. It was a classic moment. Cold busted him on it and he just switched subjects. (at least thats the way I saw it)