GPS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006 | 08:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS Questions

I use GPS extensively doing petroleum prospecting seismic work. All different units - Garmin eTrex, Vista, Legend, 76, 72, V, other auto units, Magellan Gold is my personal unit which I use in the truck, on the ATV, on the motorcycle or hiking. Check out some great deals on Magellan Meridian units at geeks.com. Great prices. No affiliation.

I prefer the Magellan Meridian units, especially the Gold. The Platinum has a barometer and compass feature which I find unnecessarily redundant. The color units eat batteries faster than you can imagine.

Meridian Gold has LCD screen (great in direct sunlight), SD card slot, etc. One thing that can be the dealbreaker for Garmin vs Magellan - Magellan only has 500 loaded waypoints whereas the Garmin firmware allows 1000...

Meridian units float and are waterproof, Garmin is waterproof but sinks. I will be purchasing another GPS within the year and I haven't made my mind up yet. No real reason I can see to upgrade to a Magellan Explorer series and while Garmin has some features I like, I'm not sure they have a product that directly fits my usage. Their Rino radio/GPS units are slick.

BTW - I bought a RAM mount and also a Magellan Meridian handlebar mount to put together the perfect handlebar mount for mine.

Old 02-15-2006 | 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS Questions

I forgot to mention my main beef with the Garmin 72 and 76 - the controls are at the top and the screen on the bottom. Doesn't work for me. Also, My Meridian Gold holds a better signal than any of the Garmins I've seen. Patch vs Helix antenna, IIRC.

Old 02-15-2006 | 08:35 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

DesertFox,
Rode with my neighbor last summer on his new Griz and he had a GPS (wish I could think of the name) that was huge. He had it mounted on rear of his front rack and could see to navigate with it from the driving position. Screen size was about 7x9 or so. Lo-something was the name (not Low-range). He thought it was the cat's meow. Depending on how you intend to use it, that certainly would be a nice one to consider.

I've never had a problem holding a signal with my Garmins. Usually 6-7 sats are in view. More than enough. They all work on the same principle anyway (D=RT), you're buying features - something you prefer and is right for what you're going to use it for, and yeah, way cheap you be buying compromised electronics, but by and large, the name brands (Garmin and Magellan to name two) are pretty good units. BTW, my Etrax color unit will go 22-23 hours on 3xAA batteries, but it's a small screen. The larger the screen, the quicker the batteries will go.

You are right about the waterproof and sinking of the Garmin. Not an issue for most, but still...

The reason there is a barometer is because that's how most GPS units determine altitude. In order to accomplish that by using the satellites themselves you have to have a minimum of three sats in view for a rough measurement. You'll need more than three in order to get anywhere close to accurate (I used to teach satellites - all classified - and GPS sats - unclassified) and altitude measurement just isn't that close anyway, so a barometer is easier. It's also cheaper for the mfgr. Since most folks go for cheapest with most features, well, you've got to compete if you're in the business.

Old 02-15-2006 | 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS Questions

Originally posted by: JimJa
DesertFox,
Rode with my neighbor last summer on his new Griz and he had a GPS (wish I could think of the name) that was huge. He had it mounted on rear of his front rack and could see to navigate with it from the driving position. Screen size was about 7x9 or so. Lo-something was the name (not Low-range). He thought it was the cat's meow. Depending on how you intend to use it, that certainly would be a nice one to consider.

I've never had a problem holding a signal with my Garmins. Usually 6-7 sats are in view. More than enough. They all work on the same principle anyway (D=RT), you're buying features - something you prefer and is right for what you're going to use it for, and yeah, way cheap you be buying compromised electronics, but by and large, the name brands (Garmin and Magellan to name two) are pretty good units. BTW, my Etrax color unit will go 22-23 hours on 3xAA batteries, but it's a small screen. The larger the screen, the quicker the batteries will go.

You are right about the waterproof and sinking of the Garmin. Not an issue for most, but still...

The reason there is a barometer is because that's how most GPS units determine altitude. In order to accomplish that by using the satellites themselves you have to have a minimum of three sats in view for a rough measurement. You'll need more than three in order to get anywhere close to accurate (I used to teach satellites - all classified - and GPS sats - unclassified) and altitude measurement just isn't that close anyway, so a barometer is easier. It's also cheaper for the mfgr. Since most folks go for cheapest with most features, well, you've got to compete if you're in the business.
Lowrance. Haven't used those but hear they do not have the best firmware and are expensive.

Battery life is totally temperature dependent. Brand new AA batteries will appear dead if it is cold. That's why it is so nice to have the 12V outlet and adapter to power the Meridian.

Having used most of these units side by side, their accuracy is margninal - particularly amongst various brands and models. The Garmin eTrex units all seem to be on their own while the Garmin 72 & 76 confir more closely with my Magellan Meridian Gold.

Old 02-15-2006 | 09:23 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

"having used most of these units side by side, their accuracy is margninal - particularly amongst various brands and models. The Garmin eTrex units all seem to be on their own while the Garmin 72 & 76 confir more closely with my Magellan Meridian Gold."

I won't go into it - too long - but keep in mind the mean error of ALL GPS units is 179 feet. That's the mean, which of course means 1/2 are greater, and 1/2 are less. That position is as it relates to the ACTUAL position on the earth, not as it relates to an out and back position from a starting point, or a point you did yesterday with the same unit. Take that into account when comparing accuracy between units. You've certainly done that more than I, but in your experience, would the various units you've tried side by side fall within what could be called that standard deviation?

Old 02-15-2006 | 09:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS Questions

Originally posted by: JimJa
"having used most of these units side by side, their accuracy is margninal - particularly amongst various brands and models. The Garmin eTrex units all seem to be on their own while the Garmin 72 & 76 confir more closely with my Magellan Meridian Gold."

I won't go into it - too long - but keep in mind the mean error of ALL GPS units is 179 feet. That's the mean, which of course means 1/2 are greater, and 1/2 are less. That position is as it relates to the ACTUAL position on the earth, not as it relates to an out and back position from a starting point, or a point you did yesterday with the same unit. Take that into account when comparing accuracy between units. You've certainly done that more than I, but in your experience, would the various units you've tried side by side fall within what could be called that standard deviation?
I'd say that's within the SD of all units. That being said, if one is doing something coordinated, it is best to use GPS models that have similar characteristics.

Not the best for surverying - note that companies make hardware specifically for more accurate mapping. But for what most folks do, the unit they interact more successfully with will be the best unit.

Also note that the topo maps and street maps are more accurate in certain areas than in others.

I've been spending a bunch of time down around Hiawatha Oil Camp off of WY 430 towards Craig, CO. Been down there?

Old 02-15-2006 | 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default GPS Questions

I don't know what all this talk about Garmin not floating, the 76cs floats like a cork.

Old 02-16-2006 | 07:49 AM
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

"...it is best to use GPS models that have similar characteristics." Agree completely.

"...Not the best for surverying - note that companies make hardware specifically for more accurate mapping. But for what most folks do, the unit they interact more successfully with will be the best unit." Again agree. I've noted for sometime the future in all things interface were in software. Make it for the average Joe. Sort of sounds like Apple doesn't it.

"...Also note that the topo maps and street maps are more accurate in certain areas than in others." Used to have a guy in my office whose sole function in life was to balance topos with aerial photos to check for accuracy. We called him "The Nome." He was very good doing a job no one else would or could do. You're right about the accuracy.

"I've been spending a bunch of time down around Hiawatha Oil Camp off of WY 430 towards Craig, CO. Been down there?" I'm around Bondurant (SE of Jackson ~60 miles). There is a huge gas field being developed to the SE of me, W & SE of Pinedale, the Jonah Field. 12,000 wells approved, ~3,500 drilled so far. There is an exploriation well pad going in 4 miles west of my 40 acre "ranchette." Eagle 8-1,2,&3. Everyone is spun up about it, not realizing you can't have it both ways. Still, the 2, 1,000 man camps bring in a certain undesireable element. Crime is way up, theft mostly.

Old 02-18-2006 | 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS Questions

I just recently purchased the Magellan Meridian Color unit and it is true that is sucks the batteries down fast when you run it in the full solor screen all the time, but you have 3 settings for the display--full color and 2 other dimmer screens that conserve more battery power. I purchased the handlebar mount and the 12 volt adaptor since my KQ has 12 outlet on the front right fender. I thought really long and hard about the Rino 530, but I don't have much use for the radio part right now.
Rob