Should I get rid of the Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get rid of the Harley?

Dear Mr. Sparky,, If you do wanta sell your Harley all I can tell you is good luck, used bikes are hard to sell, and I see the classified section everyday filled with more and more Harleys where guys want more for their used one than what you can buy a new one for, I sold alot of bikes in the past and lost my butt on all of them, sold a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S for $2500, a 1998 Suzuki RM125 for $800, a 1998 Honda CBR600F3 for $2700 and a 2004 Honda CRF450 for $2000, all I have left is a 2005 Suzuki M50 and im selling it for $3250, got an offer for $2500 already. I just don't understand why the guys that sell Harleys want so much and I can't even give away my jap bikes? I know a guy that owns a 1996 Harley 883 the only extra thing on it is he has a custom paint job on the gas tank, he's selling it for $14,000 !!!!!! I told him he's crazy! People can buy a new one for $7000, but thats what he wants for it, he's firm on his price. I just don't understand you Harley Owners!

Old 03-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Harleys hold their value really well. I bought mine used in 2002. The msrp on the bike was $12,999. The book value, completely stock was $14,810 (with 2400 miles). This is because of greedy dealers adding outrageous fees. Even though the msrp was $12,999 there is no way you could have possibly purchased that bike for that price. The guy I bought it from paid $20,000 after all the fees and only a few HD accessories, which I didn't even count when I checked the book value. He did screaming eagle pipes and a headlight bezel.

Harleys holding their value was part of what drew me to them. The guy that sold it to me was scared to ride because one of his friends died on his. They were inexperienced riders, and they all decided to go buy Harleys that they didn't have the time or experience to ride thereby not gaining any experience. He took such a huge loss because he didn't want his wife to know how much he paid for it. Now, if I decide to sell it even 3 years from now I probably won't lose any money. Not counting all the extra parts, but I still have the old ones so I can switch them back and sell my leftovers on ebay.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

It is also unreal how much they get for there motorclothes too! I saw one leather coat the other day at a HD dealer that they wanted over $500 for! Oh, I am saving up to maybe buy my first Harley this spring or early summer!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

yea, you'll have no problem selling a Harley. i have 30,000 miles on mine and i could have sold it for more than i paid for it a couple of times. i made up my mind that i was going to keep mine when i bought it, and started installing the high-end accessories.

i'm glad you are gonna keep it though. it is one of those things you will have a very hard time getting back, and it is one of those things you won't feel right without, even if you don't ride all the time.

monty

Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hammer4
It is also unreal how much they get for there motorclothes too! I saw one leather coat the other day at a HD dealer that they wanted over $500 for! Oh, I am saving up to maybe buy my first Harley this spring or early summer!
Yeah I bought a Harley leather jacket. I don't remember original price but I know I didn't pay full price and it was still $550.00 It is a REALLY nice jacket though. It's not one of the ones with black white and orange. It's pretty much just black. The only kind of color, is the gray Harley Davidson embroidered logo on the back. There was another one I was looking at that I really didn't like as much. It was $400.00. It was the only one of their jackets that I saw a similar design elsewhere. And it was more than similar. It was Identical to a jacket at Wilson's leather. The only difference was lack of Harley buttons, and logo on the back. It was on clearance at Wilson's for $80.00 and I had a mall gift certificate, so I got that one at the mall for $30.00.

I paid $410 for my wifes anniversary edition jacket, it's a whole lot lighter than mine.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: montyh
yea, you'll have no problem selling a Harley. i have 30,000 miles on mine and i could have sold it for more than i paid for it a couple of times. i made up my mind that i was going to keep mine when i bought it, and started installing the high-end accessories.

i'm glad you are gonna keep it though. it is one of those things you will have a very hard time getting back, and it is one of those things you won't feel right without, even if you don't ride all the time.

monty

Yeah, I'm glad I decided to keep it too. One of the hardest parts I was having with getting rid of it was actually the memory of getting it. My father drove me over 8 hours away to PA to get it. We went there, picked it up, turned straight around and drove through the night back home with it. With the time of picking it up and the round trip, it was a 18-20 hour road trip. He was very happy for me, and I could tell he was very proud that now all three of his son's had a Harley and it was kinda proof that we were all doing good. It's kinda hard to explain, but my Dad really didn't even have to say anything when he was feeling proud of his kids. He would just beam. Not in a constant smiling way, but you could see it in his face and eyes. My Dad died in an accident on 12/12/05, so I really want to hang on to a special memory like this.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well, now I have to get rid of it. This sucks. I broke my wrist (see this thread) No disability insurance, and the company I work for is pretty slow right now. A bunch of us are subbed out right now. They say they have no light/limited ability work for me right now. Because of the type of injury, I'll be out of work for 3 months.