ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS

This is a continuation of the post about the ATV death to keep that post on topic.

Who feels that more should be done to limit the size of ATV'S?

Who should be responsible for an increase, if any, in fatalities associated with ATV's over a certain displacement or weight. Is it the responsibility of the owner/rider or the manufacturer?

Many states have an 800cc/900 lbs. limit. Is this too high for safe operation or should the owner/rider be responsible enough to understand the risks and limitations of the larger machines.

If anyone has any more questions, suggestions, or opinions on this topic, please post.......but lets keep it civil.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

1st speed limits set @ 70mph, then get rid of 2-strokes, next getrid of heavy 4-wheel drives.......next?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

is it me or dont they make cars that go well over a hundred mph factory right? they make hummers and big 4x4 trucks right? under the right circumstances all these machines can kill easy. none of them serve a specific task. hell why not ban every thing but sadans and dont make cars that go over 70mph? my point is accidents happen, people die, thats a part of life. no one is immune, so i just cant figure out whats the big deal about the weight or size of an atv. people get hurt riding bikes, hell sometimes just walking. am i my brothers keeper? no. i dont want to see no one hurt or worse, but i really dont think banning big quads is going to do anything significant. is it me or does it not hurt just as bad rolling down a hill on a smaller quad?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I agree...buy what you use it for. Be aware its not a toy even though its fun.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont know what to think about the topic. I know minnesota has a limit as mentioned above. And the way i look at it, if you need something greater than 800 ccs to pull something out, get a truck.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

the size and weight of the atv can't necessarily be contributed to driver error. unless it is mechanical failure atv accidents happen because of driver error. the only thing that scares me is someone who has ridden an old 250 2x4 atv and decides they like riding atv and will buy an 800 4x4 with no experience and end up getting hurt. even experienced people who have a tendency of just over driving them or if they are experienced and think they are better to ride then they are and overdrive the terrain. i guess thats why it is important to do research before buying an atv.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I personally would buy a large bore machine if it were in my budget right now. A large bore is currently the only machine available that I could use both for enjoying a ride, hunting, ice fishing, yard work, or plowing snow. Some day we might see vast improvements in what we now consider the mid-size market (500cc) that would rule out the 600-800 market.

But in all reality, for each type (sport or utility), each size, or even down to each manufacturer, there is a need for what is on the market. It may not be for you, but it might be ideal for the next person.

I also feel that along with the increased displacement and or weight, there is a need for increased awareness and responsibility for those who choose to purchase a machine that weighs over 600 lbs and tops out over 70 mph. This is very similar to the difference of buying a compact truck with a 4-cyl. engine vs. buying a Ford F-650. They both serve their purpose, but require totally different driving habits depending on the usage at the time.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

This is one of those dumb issues. No matter the limitiation people are going to die, we have to remember that they choose to buy the ATV they did. This is the same situation as gun control. More gun laws are not going to stop murder. Guns don't commit crimes, people do. Blaming a gun, or ATV, for a dealth is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnel being fat.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
... Blaming a gun, or ATV, for a dealth is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnel being fat...
You mean it's actually HER fault?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL .. that's a funny one Catterman ..

Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s it me or dont they make cars that go well over a hundred mph factory right? they make hummers and big 4x4 trucks right? under the right circumstances all these machines can kill easy. none of them serve a specific task. hell why not ban every thing but sadans and dont make cars that go over 70mph? my point is accidents happen, people die, thats a part of life. no one is immune, so i just cant figure out whats the big deal about the weight or size of an atv. people get hurt riding bikes, hell sometimes just walking. am i my brothers keeper? no. i dont want to see no one hurt or worse, but i really dont think banning big quads is going to do anything significant. is it me or does it not hurt just as bad rolling down a hill on a smaller quad?
Well no one wants anything banned, that is just silly. And the main difference is that car and trucks are subject to strict safety standards, for the most part ATVs are not.

My only suggestion is that perhaps a small roll-bar to create space between the rider and the ATV on him or her would be effective enough. Of course accidents happen, that is the point of this whole topic IMO.

It's BECAUSE accidents happen that there needs to be some steps taken to help the victims survive said accident. The size of the ATV is relative in this discussion because of the way the guy was killed. He drown because he could not get out from under the weight of the ATV. I'm willing to bet he would have been able to get out from under a smaller machine, even a smaller 4x4 like a Rancher or Eiger is within reasonable assumption.

It's not anyone's fault, and as was said the user is still 100% responsible for their own actions. But what is the harm in making things safer so people have a fighting chance when accidents do happen?

Quick Reply: ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS