CB radio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question has little or nothing to do with ATVing, but I figured someone in here knows about CB's.

I just got a Cobra 25 LTD classic and a Wilson Lil' Wil' antenna. From what I can tell, I have about a 2 mile radius of reception at best (which basically does me no good). I want to have at least a 10 mile radius, as I use the CB for traffic reports in the DC metro area. Will I be able to achieve this range with a different antenna, or will I definitely need a booster? Also, does padding on the antenna magnet reduce the reception? Finally, what is the best way to eliminate engine noise coming through the CB speaker?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2000, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Having a similar Cobra myself, you can't escape the limitation of 4 watts output power that is the maximum set by the FCC. Under normal conditions, this limits the range of any CB to a couple miles.

Range can be increased (legally) by a better antenna, preferably a top loaded design that is mounted in the center of the roof of the vehicle. This will give you the best radial pattern for reception and broadcast. Also, you should tune the antenna with a SWR meter. Basically this involves adjusting the whip length slightly to allow maximum signal output.

Another legal option would be to consider purchasing a SSB CB. Sideband channels have 12 watts of output, thus increasing the range up to 3 times that of the standand band. No license is needed, however you will need to by two radios, one for each end.

As far as illegal methods, you can get a "CB Shop" to "tweak" your Cobra to produce a stronger output signal. This will increase your transmission range. Or you can purchase a Linear Amp, again at a "CB Shop" which will boost your signal also. Note, both modifications will need to be done on each CB.

For obvious reasons, the Sideband CB option I would recommend. Either that or a commercial two way radio system provided by local communications dealer.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything you say sounds good, Patrailrider; however:

SSB (Single Sideband) CB requires compatable transceivers. That is, unless you communicate with someone also with SSB, all he'll ever hear from you is something that sounds like Donald Duck inhaling helium.

SSB extends range by putting the legal 4-watt radiated power into the modulation, suppressing the carrier . . . relax, everyone, we won't go there!

Also, a linear amplifier takes radiated power beyond the legal 4-watt limit, inviting a visit from "Uncle Charley," the FCC (Federal Communications Commission).

The CB radio spectrum and power level were chosen ESPECIALLY because of limited range; otherwise, the band would be hopelessly cluttered by signals from hordes of unlicensed transmitters, nation- or world-wide.

If extended range is Chawness' interest, his best bet is to become a "ham," an amateur radio operator; there are plenty of clubs and hobbyists in Northern Virginia available for advice and assistance.

For ATVing, FRS (Family Radio System) "walkie-talkies" work well within reasonable trail separation in my experience.

Tree Farmer

Old 12-04-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as a HAM operator, I haven't had anything to do with the 11 meter band for several years,butif I understand you, your antenna is a mag mount so obviously you have a rack to mount it on. You might try installing some sort of metal plate to act as a ground plane on which to install the mag mount, thereby by causing the signal to radiate horizontally rather than vertically as it now does. A steel cookie sheet may work & set the magmount in the center of it.
As for engine noise, a suppressor type spark plug could help and inline filters are are available to install after the alternator. Most of them work only marginally.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the tips.

Old 12-07-2000, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

If you do go with the linear amp.You may have to get a better catr battery.As the draw lots of amps.My dad has one in his Jeep.And in between the linear and me using the winch all the time he had to get a optima red top battery and a better altenator.They are illegal though like someone posted earlier.

Old 12-07-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

We are having the very same problems with our CBs. Not enough range. We are going to convert to GMRS radios. Available up to 100 watts on certain frequencies. License costs $80 or $85 and is good for 5 years. Re-newal for another 5 years is only $40.

Old 12-08-2000, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

The engine noise has to do with your ground. Try moving your ground to a different location. Also ground it directly to the chassis (better grounding point). Hope this helps

Old 12-08-2000, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is your best bet.

Go down to radio shack, purchase amateur radio license preperation book(technician,you will not need to learn any morse code), study till you know the answers to the questions, contact W5YI they are in the back of the book. They can tell you where the nearest testing location is and what time. Go take your test, wait on your ticket in the mail, and go purchase a 2-meter rig and mag mount antenna and you are set to go.

Using local repeaters you should have a usable range of up to 40 miles.

It's what I would do, and did as a matter of fact.

Mark in NC
W4MRK (extra class license)

Old 12-09-2000, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Here's where you need to ask the CB question. Will be more help http://pub5.bravenet.com/forum/show....rnum=407138008