Scarring after Accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have an effective way of repairing scarred skin tissue after an ATV accident? I am currently using a vitamin E lotion, but being its on my nose and forehead, any help would be greatly appreciated. (No Im not gonna cut my head off!!)

RoostKing...

Old 12-06-2000, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about it, RK!

If you were any handsomer, you'd have a REAL problem!

I mean, what with all the girls pursuing you already, how could you accommodate any MORE groupies?

Seriously, sorry about your accident; wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

Tree Farmer

Old 12-06-2000, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

RK, just remember one thing. Chicks dig scars

Old 12-06-2000, 01:56 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I was in a bike accident about 12 years ago, took all the skin off my right forearm, anyway they used a silvernitrate cream. I have very little scarring, my hair even grew back, well mostly. The cream is mainly for burns, check with your Dr. on the brands available. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2000, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to here you got scraped up. I've got some pretty good scars and I have found that keeping the area moist with neosporin really helps out in that area.
I don't want to make anyone mad, especially since I don't know the details of your mishap, but I am going to say that good riding gear helps to keep scars from happening. If you are like me, you wear your gear and sometimes you still get hurt. If you see someone riding without proper attire, you owe it to our sport to make a friendly suggestion.

Old 12-06-2000, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This accident was one of those "It can only happen one way" and it did happen that way. Basically I came down hard off a 20 foot dune (not on purpose mind you) and the crossbar (its a nice V shape now...) on my handlebars oh so neatly fit in beween the nose guard and the visor area of my helmet . Hence the 27 stitches and very bloodshot/swollen/black eyes, but no broken nose thanks in part to the goggles I was wearing. Luckily I was not knocked out from the hit or seriously injured in the ensuing roll after I fell off the quad. So i consider myself lucky. At any rate, thanks all for the advice/good wishes. ITs funny how something like this can happen just when you least expect it. I have been known to get wild on this banshee and usually escape any injuries, but simply riding back to camp this time I was not so luckyt.
In fact I have been known to ride at my familiar dunes in Walden without a helmet, but from here on out, I am now a walking testmonial to the need for at least a helmet as far as safety equipment. DO NOT RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET.
When you least expect it, expect it (DRI)

LAWYERS DO NOT CALL!

RoostKing...

Old 12-06-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

i think the bst way to let it heel is just let the air hit it....and don't pick your scabs....when i fipped over the handlebars and scraped my back up pretty good....i didn't really care because i always have a t-shirt on

Old 12-06-2000, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Welcome to the club RoostKing! This is not something to brag about, but I have a total of 4 scars all from riding my ATV. Last year I tore the ACL ligament in my knee without even crashing - I just landed stiff legged from a small jump. This resulted in ACL reconstructive surgery and a nice 3" long scar across my patella (kneecap). This summer I added to the collection by taking a header over the bars which resulted in a broken and cut-wide-open jaw, broken ribs, and the broken ribs punctured the lung. I now have a 4-5" scar along my jaw line and 2 scars under my armpit where the suction tubes were inserted to re-inflate the lung. Before everyone thinks I am an even bigger clutz than I really am I should explain that I have been riding and racing ATV's for 8 years and have never been hurt until these instances. I too was wearing all protective equipment but my Answer M7 helmet has a crack in the mouthpiece right about where my jaw has a crack. I really think (hope) these were freak accidents because I am a very safe although aggressive rider. Back to your original question - because of these scars I have done a little research in the area and most people recommend the vitamin E cream you are already using. The scar on my jaw is barely noticable because it is right on the jaw line and I was lucky enough to have a plastic surgeon do the stitches in the emergency room. I asked the plastic surgeon how to treat the laceration to minimize the scar and he said the best thing is to leave it alone (no lotion) and avoid the sun. He claimed the worse thing for a scar is exposure to the sun. I hope my story made you realize you aren't the only one. Oh, by the way, I haven't ridden since my last accident (end of August), but I can't wait till spring to ride again. I am no kid either, ATV's are in my blood and the satisfaction from riding still outweighs the risk.

1988 TRX250R chassis with 350X motor bored and stroked to 500cc. Quad has every accessory available to set-up for racing motocross.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

I was told by a nurse that you should get vitamin E capsules, break them open and rub them on the scar. She said you will get much more vitamin E on the area this way than with a cream/lotion.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Most importantly...Stay out of direct sunlight if possible....It will amplify the scar ten fold.

What does your doctor/plastic surgeon say?
It took me about 4 years after a broken neck to completely heal the scars on my face.

How did it happen?...the same way as you...when you least expect it. I was riding down the road on my ZX7r, when some young punks pulled a closeline across the road. (imagine that)
We caught them though (kids must brag) and lets say my lawyer had a field day with them. Thanks for the new house!!! woo hoo
I made a full recovery, But have to live with some small scarring. At least I have the green light to still ride and play hockey. But lets just say that I'll leave the sport bikes for the race track from now on.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Scarring after Accident