sandblasting atv frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sandblasting atv frame

I'm having trouble finding someone to sandblast my frame before I powdercoat it.I'm thinking about buying my own equipment and doing it myself.I have two questions.Is my air compresser big enough and what other equipment do I need?My compresser is a 2-stage 175PSI.This is probably just an excuse to buy more tools.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your compressor is big enough to handle blasting. But its gonna make a hell of a mess. You can buy cheap blasting equipment through Sears and other places that will do the job. But unless you have a collection place you will go through alot of sand. Also if you don't know what your doing sand will really pit the metal. Start off with as low a pressure as you can use.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished repainting the frames on my machines and I sandblasted a couple of areas that I could not get into real well with the wire wheel disk and sand paper. my compressor is only a 135psi pancake complressor from Homedepot. It did the job quite fine.

I made my own large sand blasting booth out of two layers of clear plastic. I used 1x2 material for support for the corners and made it just large enoughto get the frame into and move around. Took about 1 afternoon to make. I left the top open for ventilation and used a broom to collect all the sand I wanted to reuse. The rest I picked up with the shop vac.

I also invested in a mask that had a filter attached to it. I use it for sanding sheetrock as well. It keeps all the dust out of you nose and mouth and its goggles keep your eyes protected. I would not reccomend sand blasting without a face mask and eye protection.

You MUST keep the nozzle away from any rubber parts and wiring, such as CV boots. It rips through it like butter. I used about 30-50psi I think. I only used it on a few corners of the frame I cound not get into with a sander.

I then painted the frame in a marine grade enamel. (it was $90 a quart!) It is used up here for steel boats around salt water and it will dry underwater. I am pleased with it so far. I do not like powder coating.

Good luck with your project though.

SJ

Old 01-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your replies guys.About how much sand do I need to buy if I set up some way to reuse the sand?I wont be sandblasting any rubber parts.I have the frame stripped down.