How many still ride without a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many still ride without a helmet?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

Whatever my wife whooped up on a huge monkey last night. Oops, I think I just went a little too far with that one. LOL. I hope Tracy has stopped reading this thread!</end quote></div>

TMI Jon, TMI.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deezna

well over here in North Dakota where i usually ride i've hardly ever seen a person with a helmet on but then that's usually on 4x4's when people are usually just cruising around but on the sport race style i have seen people wear helmets.</end quote></div>

I think thats because most ppl dont see the 4x4 as wheeling riding, heal clicking, big air getting, machines, (ie helmets in a race car, not in a normal car) they think of them as work horses and mud boggers.. I am not saying that thinking is correct, even more so now that the big bores 4x4 can keep up with most sports quads or even surpass them in speed. But even here in Missouri I dont know any (adult) that wears a helmet except on state land where they are required by law.

But I also only know one person who owns a sport quad.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 650Mobrute

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deezna

well over here in North Dakota where i usually ride i've hardly ever seen a person with a helmet on but then that's usually on 4x4's when people are usually just cruising around but on the sport race style i have seen people wear helmets.</end quote></div>

I think thats because most ppl dont see the 4x4 as wheeling riding, heal clicking, big air getting, machines, (ie helmets in a race car, not in a normal car) they think of them as work horses and mud boggers.. I am not saying that thinking is correct, even more so now that the big bores 4x4 can keep up with most sports quads or even surpass them in speed. But even here in Missouri I dont know any (adult) that wears a helmet except on state land where they are required by law.

Yeah theres no law for us to have to wear a helmet unless your under 16 i believe and also our laws are more leniant. I can ride my ATV on gravel roads and anywhere but a highway as long as it has updated license tags on it, that's a nice deal and I know like Minnesota i think has some weird laws that they can only ride ditches certain parts of the year.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It appears this is the best we have http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html and http://www.car-accidents.com/p...stats/2000_killed.html

So, in 2000 there was an estimated 4,200,000 quads and an estimated 502 deaths. That's .01195% Right????
In 2000 there was,,, what,,, 42,000 or so people killed in autos??? And there is somewhere around 215,000,000 autos registered. So, that's about .01954%

.01954 is about 64% higher than .01195. So, I guess that means you're 64% more likely to die in your auto than on your quad. Therefore, you should be more likely to wear a helmet in your car than on your quad if your goal is to avoid death.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

We have http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/missouri.html in missouri which is strange, ive been stoped in town for riding my quad on city streets with no helmet. The officer just checked for my city atv permit, which I didnt have yet (just got the quad the day before) and that I had a flag (I did). He let me go saying NOTHING about a helmet and just told me to get the city permit before I came back into town with it.

And this is not a easy going cop, he pulled me over in my car a month earlier for going to slow..... let me say that again in case you didnt get it.... going to slow...

I was qawking at a truck for sale.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, I just noticed that some of the people in the 42,000 number were passengers.... Since there were only around 37,000 actual crashes. Can't have more drivers than crashes.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 650Mobrute

We have http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/missouri.html in missouri which is strange, ive been stoped in town for riding my quad on city streets with no helmet. The officer just checked for my city atv permit, which I didnt have yet (just got the quad the day before) and that I had a flag (I did). He let me go saying NOTHING about a helmet and just told me to get the city permit before I came back into town with it.

And this is not a easy going cop, he pulled me over in my car a month earlier for going to slow..... let me say that again in case you didnt get it.... going to slow...

I was qawking at a truck for sale.</end quote></div>

Are you under 18? Not sure you have to wear a helmet if you're over 18.

He was probably hoping you were drunk in your car and that's why he thought you were going too slow.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

nah im 29, that is probably the case since nothing was said.