Rhino roll-over epidemic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino roll-over epidemic?

I hear ya Dragginbut! My original plan was to buy a RZR. Took my wife down to see it and she asks "so how are we gonna trade off driving it?"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] TRADE OFF !!! I decided on two 500 Touring models.....I ain't trading off with no one.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here's a couple links...

Rhino roll over

Rhino Roll over

Nothing like taking risks, then blaming the maker of the gear you were using when you get hurt.

If only we had more lawyers, quads and side-by-sides could go the way of the three wheeler...

Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I work at an engineering firm, and you would be surprised how many Rhino accidents are happening. People are under the mistaken impression that if you don't ride crazy, you will not be hurt. That is absolutely wrong! There have been people that were riding at a very slow speed, and had their Rhino roll. Click here UTV/ATV Testing for photos, and a video of some of our testing.

These vehicles are very dangerous, and extreme caution must be used when operating them. It is NOT common sense to ride these carefully. People believe that if it is for sale, it must have been tested, and be absolutely safe to ride - And, that is wrong!

Reportedly, Yamaha is offering a retrofit for older Rhinos, and are incorporating new safety designs into their 2008 models. Hopefully these will help.

Be careful out there!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Looking at the video of the Rhino, it's not going slow either. Add to the fact they're turning up an incline, and make a sharp turn.

But I guess if that's what the lawyers pay someone to film...

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sealcorp

I work at an engineering firm, and you would be surprised how many Rhino accidents are happening. People are under the mistaken impression that if you don't ride crazy, you will not be hurt. That is absolutely wrong! There have been people that were riding at a very slow speed, and had their Rhino roll. Click here UTV/ATV Testing for photos, and a video of some of our testing.

These vehicles are very dangerous, and extreme caution must be used when operating them. It is NOT common sense to ride these carefully. People believe that if it is for sale, it must have been tested, and be absolutely safe to ride - And, that is wrong!

Reportedly, Yamaha is offering a retrofit for older Rhinos, and are incorporating new safety designs into their 2008 models. Hopefully these will help.

Be careful out there!</end quote></div>

These tests are a bunch of crap, he gets to cruising and then cuts to the right as far as it will while the left side is going downhill. Well no sh*t the thing is going to roll over![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] You didn't need to waste the time to figure that out.

I personally have lost someone very close to me in a ATV accident, so I feel I have every right in saying this....."IT'S NOT THE MACHINE'S FAULT"!!!!!!!!

And people that want to blame the manufacturers and sure are just plain idiots, take up basket weaving!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, same type testing done on the jeep. Is that a crash test dummy in the Rhino? So you put a dummy in a Rhino ( a real dummy, not like on youtube) you run the machine, turn the wheel a full turn, and say "hey look! it rolls over" DUH! No attempt to correct the oversteer, and why would anyone in their right mind give the wheel a hard turn and keep it there till it rolls? Well it worked on jeeps too, they had to redesign a wider track for the dummies who had no business being in the driver seat in the first place.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

For the record I have been rubber side up in one of my jeep rockcrawlers. But I guarentee you I wasn't cursing jeep as I hung upside down in my seat, I was cursing myself for trying an approach that was to extreme.....but then thats rock crawling and I knew going in what could happen. The same consideration should be given ATVing or UTVing.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, I guess lawyers will always go for the deep pocket.

Kind of like the 12 passenger vans. In their videos they show that if you load the thing to the max and yank the wheel over, it will roll... I can bet you that any pickup with a camper would have rolled, too, probably sooner, and I doubt the small bus that they claim is better would really do much better.

UTV's by nature are compact and narrow, with high ground clearance and soft tires. Naturally they aren't going to pull 1 G corners without flipping, like a racing cart or something.