What Type & Brand is Popular in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Type & Brand is Popular in your area?

Around my area its 99% Utility ATVs ,I never once seen a Sport ATV on our trails Just a Polaris 500 Scrambler which is not a hard core Sport ATV like a raptor or those 450s types.

Out of the brands I see I think its close between Yamaha, Polaris Next would be Honda ,Arctic Cats are close I see very few Suzuki's,Kawasaki's and Can AMS.

Must be due to dealerships. In our town the Yamaha dealer is large and established while a large new dealership opened a few years back that sells Polaris and AC.

The Honda dealer sells mostly cars but has been around a long time and is well liked with a good rep.

The Kawaski dealer looks fly by night without one machine on the floor.

A new dealership that sell Suzuki and Can AM are together and have a large selection but has only been around a few years.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

In my area its about 99% utilities also, 1/3 of them are Artic Cats, then Hondas, then yahmaha or Kawasaki, I have seen just a couple of popos or suzukis while out riding, but thats more than likely due to the fact that there is no polaris or suzuki dealerships anywhere close. Artic Cat dealerships are everywhere as well as hondas, The Kawi dealer I use is close and the only one near.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see a lot of utes around peoples houses and what not, but on the trails it tends to be a good mix of sport/ute. The edge would have to go to utes overall though. As for brand, I would put Yamaha first regardless of type, followed by Polaris and Honda. I mostly hang out with sport riders, and sport machines are predominantly Yamaha in Western New York.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here in CO. its abut 90% utilities #1 being Polaris Sportsmans 2nd Prob Can-Am Outlander/Renegade or poss 3rd Yamaha Grizz just a guess but Polaris is by far #1 sold in this state!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Probably 80/20 Ute to sport on trails. In our club are 100% ute. Poo then AC being the main machines.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The desert is sport quad country, whether it is cross-country or dunes! Rhinos are huge as well! If you show up for a ride on a ute, you will be in the back of the pack eating sport quad dust all day long!!!

In the mountains you will see more utes, but if you don't ride in snow, need to haul big game, or deliberately go looking for terrifying terrain, a sport quad can get you by a lot of the time....but 4X4 is still nice to have.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I would really like to see more Sports ATVs on our trail just to see them go in the real world for a nice change of pace.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in southern oregon in the mountains. Locally we have dealers for polaris, ktm, honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha, can am, arctic cat....there are alot of both sport quads and utility quads out here.....I'd say about 50/50. Polaris is definitely the most popular among the utes and yamaha would be the most popular among the sports. Our nearest sand dunes are 2 1/2 hours away, so everyone's riding is done primarily in the woods. Most sport quads here have full skid protection and taller wheels for more ground clearance. If they don't, they will get thrashed!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Around my area Honda use to be absolute KING. If it wasn't a fourtrax or a foreman you just didn't see it. Now it's changed to Polaris and Yamaha with a smattering of Can-Ams, kawis and zukes with the odd an Arctic Cat here and there. About the only Hondas you see are fourtraxes and foremans from the late 80s adn early 90s era that have been well taken care of or restored. You see many guys buy a new honda to replace their old one but soon it gets sold adn they buy a Yammy or Polaris

As for sport quads you see a few. Not a lot. Not nearly as many as you did say around 1990 or so. Back then Banshees were King with some hondas bringing up the rear. Now you see a better mix of Honda, Yammy, Kawi and popo sport bikes. The 4x4 sport models are really popular among the sport crowd now with the CanAm renegade being the holy grail. . Most of these are ridden by teenagers. What many of them find is other than blasting around through fields, doing hillclimbs or jumps they're not exactly practical. They simply aren't able to go where a farm boy on a 4x4 atv can and lots of kids that get them end up selling them and buying a ute. They're just more practical around here. I know I helped fix a Banshee a while back and took it for a ride through my trails and it just wasn't very fun to ride. Oh it was pretty fun in the open areas and blasting over ditches and bumps to catch air but riding through the woods was not only uncomfortable it was forever getting stuck. not to mention the fact that it just tears the crap out of the trail due to wheel spin and the like. That and the noise is terribly annoying.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Around here it is mostly utilities and most of them are Honda with a far share of Can-ams.

Quick Reply: What Type & Brand is Popular in your area?