Truck Bedliner on ATV racks

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Bedliner on ATV racks

I used some on my front and rear racks and brushguard.... Im sure it would have turned out better if I used a nicer bedliner...

I sed duplicolor spray on bedliner, it came in a sprapaint can and only cost 9 dollars!!! but one can was barely enough to cover the racks and brushguard on my recon. the finish came out great! it has a nice, rough, even texture to it.

BUT it is not very rugged!! I would recomend this to somebody who does not use their racks very much. If you only want your racks to stand up to regular offroading and light loads such as bags, or other stuff that doesnt scratch. but I used myracks to carry a couple shoveles and 2 (~9 inch) rocks and the corners of the shovels and the rocks scratched right hrough the bedliner to bare metal.

So the duplicolor spray on bedliner is not super rugged but it perfect for light us of the racks... and looks great!!! (just thought I would make this write-up for all wondering/considering)

Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard, but never personally tried, Herculiner brushed on bedliner is supposed to be real good, probably a little thicker too. Not too costly either.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

I looked at it but it was 80-90 bucks and I just wanted something cheap

Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have done 3 different ATVs with the duplicolor with no problems. The secret is in the preperation of the racks. Wire brush them and apply some acitone solution for you spray on the duplicolor. I use my quads for everything.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I tried the duplicolor on the trailer I haul quads on. Even after prep work it is coming off. The Herculiner is much better. I put it on my boat seats (open v-hull with wooden seats) and it's been on for about 4 years and is still quite good. Normally have to refinish every year.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

the duplicolor is more of a rugged paint than a bedliner. if used like a bedliner, it will scratch off and no offer much protection. But if used like paint, it will stand up to anything and never be damaged!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've used both the Duplicolor and the Herculiner. The Herculiner was put on the boat seats and also the inside of a trailer I use to haul wet firewood out of the woods with. The Duplicolor has rubber tires on it where the Herculiner has rough oak, maple, beech, birch, etc. and it has stood up much better. If money is not an object the very best stuff I've ever seen is Line-X. I've abused my pickup bed for years with Line-X in it and it's almost as good as new. That includes gravel, cinder blocks, firewood, quads, etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

I'm considering having a shop spray the racks on the Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 restoring as well as the frame and some of the other bits and pieces. Probably no more expensive then sending them out to be powder coated.

Nice thing about Line-Ex is that they can color match it to about anything you want. I'd like to get the blue painted racks on Polaris done as well as having the floorboards done in black.

When my poor old pickup gets it's slot in the shop for an overhaul I'm going to have the rocker panels done. I drive on lots of gravel roads and it really tears up the bottoms of the panels. What better way to protect them than a color matched coat of line-ex

The only thing I've wondered about with truck beds is what about the bolts and fasteners in the bed? For various reasons I've had to remove the bed of my truck twice since I've had it and the access panel on the tailgate numerous times over the years. Will probably do so again when it goes in to be overhauled. How can you ever access bed bolts and things again if they're under a thick coating of line-ex? Do you remove them first.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

I'm considering having a shop spray the racks on the Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 restoring as well as the frame and some of the other bits and pieces. Probably no more expensive then sending them out to be powder coated.

Nice thing about Line-Ex is that they can color match it to about anything you want. I'd like to get the blue painted racks on Polaris done as well as having the floorboards done in black.

When my poor old pickup gets it's slot in the shop for an overhaul I'm going to have the rocker panels done. I drive on lots of gravel roads and it really tears up the bottoms of the panels. What better way to protect them than a color matched coat of line-ex

The only thing I've wondered about with truck beds is what about the bolts and fasteners in the bed? For various reasons I've had to remove the bed of my truck twice since I've had it and the access panel on the tailgate numerous times over the years. Will probably do so again when it goes in to be overhauled. How can you ever access bed bolts and things again if they're under a thick coating of line-ex? Do you remove them first.</end quote></div>

I know someone who coated the entire bottom half of their Hummer in Line-X to prevent trail scars. it looked really cool!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the racks and front bumper on my Rubicon sprayed with Line-X. I really like it. I think it cost about 50 bucks to have it done. Well worth the money. I post some pics when I get a chance.

Captain Quint, I have had my S-10 sprayed with Line-X and the bolts are not covered up. You still have access to them. They must cover them up. I don't think they would remove them because you would trouble getting the bolts back in the hole. Even the little water holes are still open.