Is a ski helmet O.K for ATV riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at a lot of different helmets.
I would like to buy a open face helmet.
I like the boeri ski helmet because it is light and it fits nice.
It is shaped like an ordinary open face motorcross helmet.
I know that there is the snell and dot certification for helmets, but would this ski helmet be safe to use???
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would not get an open faced helmet for safety reasons. I think a ski helmet would look kind of funny and more importantly wouldn't provide enough protection. If the cost is the problem see if you can find a good used helmet. I would feel more comfortable with a new helmet because I know it's history. I can give you the number to a friends shop in New Lenox where he sells helmets at cost because he doen't believe in making money off safety equipment. The thing is it's a shop so you have to go somewhere else and try on the helmet and WRITE DOWN the MODEL and SIZE. Each manufacturer makes completely different helmets so a large from one company isn't the same size from another, there are no standards for helmets. I have just bought a $160+- Thor helmet for $120! There are cheaper ones also that will do the job. So, like I said e-mail me and I will give you the number to the place, go try on a helmet somewhere remember what it is and know exactly what you want and then go get it for cost! This guy is good on lots of aftermarket parts, can't get OEM parts cuz he doesn't sell machines. He can beat just about any price out there and is a miracle worker with machining and welding. Hope that helps!

Old 03-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't get a ski helmet> I think it would so funny. I would bye a nicer looking helmet.

Old 03-05-2001, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer

Use your own judgement, any helmet that fits is better than no helmet. You need to keep in mind that a quad will sustain twice the speed that an average person on skis will reach. Add in the potential of having a 400lb+ machine pushing you into what your going to hit.

Personally I would by a helmet designed for motorsports.

Just my opinion

Old 03-05-2001, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your input.
I will go to a store and look into a new helmet.
I was on a web site and they said to buy a helmet that is DOT and SNELL certified.
They had listed some brands that had this.
I am looking for something reasonable, like $100-$150. I dont want to go to cheap, you only have one melon.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2001, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

You will find dozens of hemets in that price range made for ATVing. Definitly get one that is D.O.T. and SNELL approved.

Old 03-07-2001, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

thats right you only have one melon so protect it, a motocross full coverage type helmet saved my friends face from damage when he hit a tree,all he got was sore, lucky. I spent about $150 for my HJC and it has a removable liner so you can throw it in the wash, the helmet MUST fit snugly. sorry if I'm preaching but right now I'm working in a hospital, see the results of bad decisions every day