Plastic Care

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to care for the plastic on a new quad? It scratches very easy. Even wiping it with a shop towel causes small scratches. Will a few coats of a good wax help? What type? Its going to get scratched anyway but I'd like to keep it looking good as long as possible. A friend puts some baby oil in a spray bottle and coats it (mist) before each ride. This helps to get the mud off at the end of the day, but not much with scratching. Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2000, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

i tried using wax, didn't do much good for mine, though mines already scratched, which is why i bought it used, so i wouldn't worry about it...

though i found a good coat of armorall did a world of good for me... cleaned it up and all..

-brian.

Old 02-16-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Galt,

Hey I have been in your shoes!

Having spent years around nice cars, boats, Sea-Doos, and snowmobiles, I have polished with the best. When the 98 Sportsman 500 arrived I had a tough time with those scratches, yes even the light ones from the polishing rags! I know what you are talking about.

I agree with the previous poster, wax didn't do a lot for me. All of my favorite toy polishes and waxes didn't do much for the plastic panels.

In previous posts I have heard of people wiping down with WD-40, Armor-All, Mop and Glow, and many other interesting substances. All of these are way easier to apply on an intricate machine than wax is.

Personally I use Lemon Pledge! I have used Pledge on my snowmobile windshields for years. It makes a scratched windshield appear clear and somewhat scratch free. I have found it does the same job on my ATV. Spray it all over, initial wipe off, dry cloth to polish. Works great on the plastic, rubber, seat, and metal surfaces.

All I can say of the scratches is "get used to it"! Took me a while of whining before I realized it is the nature of the beast. You can't enjoy the toy without scratching it!

Good Luck,

DJ

Old 02-18-2000, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I'll try the pledge. I've used pledge for other things but haven't tried it on the quad. Your right, scratches and mud are part of the game. I guess I should just be happy that it is in one piece at the end of the day! I enjoy the clean-up too though. After a day of riding, I like to go to the garage with a few beers and make it look good again.

Old 02-18-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean. I don't have too many riding-inflicted scratches, but I gouged the front fenders when I wiped them off with a dirty towel. The sand grains dug right in, putting streaks across the front fenders and nosepiece. I was pretty mad at myself after that. I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax the other day and I'll test it this weekend. As far as cleaning goes, I'm going to try Simple Green this summer. Water unfortunetly doesn't do enough for me. I want a shiny and dirt-free machine after I'm done cleaning. My dirt bike buddy uses Simple Green and swears by it.

Old 02-19-2000, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

Simple Green does do wonders on cleaning your machine at the end of the day. It really works good getting mud and stains off your motor and other hard to reach places. If you get it at Price Club it's really cheap and you can use it full strength or dilute it with water to make it go farther. Works great on plastics and wheels too. Heck it even cleans white fabric tennis shoes.

Old 02-19-2000, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been. using a product called 303 for the last 2 0r 3 years on my quads, trailer, & truck to protect the plastic & rubber parts against fading & deterioration due to weather and the Arizona sun. Unlike certain other products 303 contains no petroleum (you know what that does to rubber) and altho it won't erase scratches, it does preserve the gloss of your plastic & tires without making them greasy. It is actually sun block for those parts. You can get more info or order it at: (800) 223-4303. You can also order it thru Camping World at: (800) 626-5944 and is a little cheaper there. It comes in various sizes up to a gallon, which is what I buy.
Another tip: after washing my quad, while still wet, I spray it completely with Shower Clean or any similar product and the machine dries with no water spots. Then spray it with 303 & wipe it off.
P.S.
I'll e-mail a pic of my Warrior which is going on 3 yrs old. It may give an idea of how 303 protects.The bike is a little dirty..haven't washed it since my crash.