kids quads

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having a tough time choosing. i have 2 girls one 10 and one 7 and im only buying one quad. im thinking kasea 90.the little one will probably race in 2003. hard to find good articles on little quads so many of them to choose from. im not against buying one fixed up already. later wil.

Old 02-16-2002, 05:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kasea will require alot of maintenance.Come and see me at Lapeer Honda on 24 next to the ARBY's,I'll cut you a great deal on a new 02 90cc Honda that wont require near the maintenance as the Kasea.

Dont forget that Michigan law requires kids under 16 to take the one day ATV safety course BEFORE they can legally ride an ATV?[Im a licensed ATV instructor]

Bill

Old 02-16-2002, 08:18 AM

I've been looking into the "Dinli" brand youth atv's. They have models 50cc to 100cc with hydrolic disc brakes, electric start, working headlights and brake lights. Basically two models, the "T-Rex" sporty, and the "Helix" sport/ute. Check them out at www.dinliusa.com

Old 02-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

4 stroke youth atv's are nice if you are interested in a slow boring heavy machine. As for repairs, they are about the same except that a 4 stroke will cost 10x the money to fix when it breaks.

Since you mention that your kids plan to race, the 2 strokes are the only way to go. If you want fast out of the box, and don't plan on performing any mods, the T-Rex is pretty fast (but ugly as Hell). I assume that you will race in outlaw classes since both your kids are too young to race in ama races on a 90 till they are 12. Also, you will not need any atv course to ride on private land or closed tracks. The "license" issue (now expired in California), only applied to Federal and some state lands.

That said, Kasea is the best looking and best performing youth atv on the market. Currently 50 and 90cc atv’s s are marketed by Suzuki, Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Kasea, Bombardier, Husky, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix (has an untested reverse feature), LEM and other manufacturers. Of the many atv manufacturers, Kasea offers features that go beyond the “other guys.” Virtually all of the youth atv’s are equipped with fully automatic CVT transmissions and a 2 stroke oil injected engine, the features that make Kasea superior to other youth atv’s begin here:

Front suspension
The Kasea front suspension is much stronger than that Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Bombardier, Husky, Blazer, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix, LEM and some other manufacturers. The Kasea uses a double clevis style knuckle holder rather than the more common single holder. We believe that only Suzuki uses the same strong design as Kasea on the front suspension a-arms.

Rear suspension
The Kasea has the strongest youth atv rear swing arm and axle design on the market. It is a copy of the trusted design used by Yamaha on their performance atv’s since the early 1980’s. No other youth atv has this strong of a rear suspension – it is simply the best. Many of the other youth atv’s don’t even offer a true sport atv style rear axle. We have found most youth atv’s have a rear axle that is a thin metal shaft covered with tubing. Not only is the tube covered design weaker, it allows water to easily enter the carrier bearing area. Other youth atv’s such as the Suzuki LT-80 and an Eton atv model do not even use a traditional rear swing arm. They elected to make the engine and transmission serve as the rear swing arm. The Suzuki and Eton design causes handling problems and is very difficult to modify for increased performance. On the Polaris and a few other models, the rear swing arm, although slightly longer, is too weak to be considered adequate.

Shock absorbers
Kasea built their atv’s with true rebound dampening Showa shocks that also feature compression preload spring adjusters. The only other youth atv that we have found that has a similar rear shock is Bombardier. Not even Suzuki has a good rear shock. This is a very important safety feature that is often overlooked. When the Kasea is ridden over a large sudden bump, the rebound dampening helps prevent the atv from “bucking” forward as the shock returns to its normal height.

Braking system
Kasea offers a traditional rear foot brake in addition to the front hand brake. This will allow your young rider to learn the proper use of hand and foot controls so he/she will be ready to advance to a full size atv with a manual clutch without relearning their riding technique. Some models such as the Blazer and Bombardier use full size levers that are hard for little hands to properly grip. We will point out that the T-Rex, Manco, Sundiro and Yerf Dog have a rear disc brake but we feel that the drum brake in the youth market is sufficient for even racing needs.

Optional lighting
We believe that only the Kasea is equipped with a 80+ watt lighting coil and is pre-wired for lighting from the factory. All you need to do is purchase the Kasea lighting set that is found as standard equipment on the Kasea 150 atv or simply mount your own lights to the existing wiring. The key switch uses a third position to turn on the lights. Kasea even pre wired for a rear safety light and lighting for your whip antenna. No other youth atv on the market has this much lighting capability. If you want to add lighting to the Suzuki LT80, you will need a special electrical stator and wiring at a substantial cost. LT80 lighting kits that run off the battery only will result in a dead battery and a long walk home.

Starting
Kasea, like most other youth atv’s, offers electric starting with a manual back up kick starter and a fully automatic choke. Kasea studied the other atv’s and took the ease of starting one step further. They added an automatic fuel valve. When the engine starts, the fuel is automatically turned on. When the engine stops, the fuel is automatically shut off. In comparison, the Suzuki and LEM have manual chokes and all other youth atv’s have manual fuel valves. We also note that if you want to add a manual back up starter to the Suzuki, it is a pull rope recoil starter that will cost an additional $80. In the unlikely event that you ever need a replacement electric starter for the Kasea, it will cost about $50 and can be installed in 5 minutes. The Suzuki starter costs about $250 and will require hours of labor to complete the installation.

Rim sizes
Here, you can easily install replacement rims of your choice! The front hubs use the common 4/110 bolt pattern (Honda) and the rear uses the common 4/100 bolt pattern (Blaster).

General Parts
Since most of the youth atv engines are similar, finding parts is usually not a problem. If you need gaskets, air filters, batteries, spark plugs, chain, tires or some basic engine components, Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Kasea, Bombardier, Husky, Blazer, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix, will interchange. The Blazer, T-Rex, Bombardier, Yerf Dog, Manico and Polaris have a longer drive belt and side case cover though.

General Notes
The Kasea is one of the few youth atv’s that does not provide a full floor board for the youth rider’s feet. We have studied this issue and believe that the floorboard design may not be as good as claimed. In the event that the rider’s foot gets wet or the board gets wet or covered with debris, it becomes a slippery dangerous platform. Kasea uses foot pegs just like a traditional atv. To improve any youth atv, we suggest that a good nerf bar with foot pegs and narrow spaced nets be added.

Speed
Kasea voluntarily follows the maximum speed limit recommendations of the Consumer Products Safety Commission. You may find other brands of youth atv’s offered for sale that are “faster” than the Kasea; however, those atv’s most likely do not comply with the CPSC regulations. For a new rider, there is no need for the extra speed.

Performance
From an aftermarket standpoint, I have the performance modifications for the youth atv. As your child grows, so will his/her ability to control more power. Instead of placing your child on a larger atv that can be dangerous for a younger rider to properly control, modifying a youth atv will provide the challenge that your child desires. I have replacement large bore cylinders, ported cylinders, custom billet aluminum cylinder heads, special over range transmissions, custom exhaust systems, performance carburetors, performance reeds, lighting kits, ignition systems, extended swing arms, wider a-arms, shock absorber kits and various tire and rim options. A special 4130 alloy frame is also in the works!

Old 02-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 8 yo son that has been riding for a while and he has worked his way up from a Yamaha 4 Zinger 60cc to a modified LEM Caymen 50cc with a big bore 60cc cylinder. He was starting to outgrow his LEM so I decided to start my search for his new replacement.
I noticed the new Kasea Skyhawk 90. It has a fairly simple design and looks like a small Honda 400ex. I purchased two of the 90cc machines and went to their in house pro at Trinity Racing to have them worked a bit. Trinity was a pleasure to work with and was very helpful.
They showed me all of the parts and modifications that could be made to this little quad. Trinity installed a custom pipe, worked clutch and hi perf reeds. They helped me make our quad go from a 3.5HP stocker to a 9HP screamer. Trinity informed me that with this huge improvement is was still a long way from where he could take it.
My son is in love with his new “LT80 roasting” machine. I just wanted to share this Lil sleeper that is out. He hasent been beat yet by anything
else out there besides a more modified race Kasea.
In my book there is only one answer for the kids ATV machine.

Old 02-17-2002, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Raptor 720,
You posted some VERY good points on that Kasea[Good job BTW].I would like to correct just ONE mistake if I may?

You said that on private property,the kids would not need any ATV training course.In Michigan,the ONLY time it is legal to ride an ATV on private property under the age of 10 is on private property owned by the parents or gaurdian,while performing farm related work.Between the ages of 10-11,it is legal to ride a ATV ONLY on PRIVATE property OWNED by the parents or gaurdian,and they MUST have a VALID ORV training certificate,and be under visual supervision of their parents or gaurdian.

So as you can see,in Michigan,the kids in fact DO need the safety training course to LEGALLY ride their ATVs,even on PRIVATE property.

Bill

Old 02-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

you can always try looking at the Raptor 80 it's very nice looking, and heard that it's quick. and also yamaha will pay for the training course and throw in a free helmet. just my .02

jazski20

Old 02-17-2002, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the people are still protecting the kids from their parents!

You might try registering the atv out of state and then visiting Michigan for a ride. Who knows. I am just glad that that silly law is gone in CA.

Old 02-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

OR, just get them a dirt bike. An XR80 or 100, or TTR90 or 125 will smoke any kids quad, but are still mellow. Kids learn more technique and pick up more skill learning on two wheels than four. They are also less expensive and a lot easyer to load on your truck.

Old 02-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

TRXr

Bring it on! I will pay your gas and admission to Perris Raceway for a kids quad vs PW80/TTR90/XR80/DS80 shootout. You will see that the lil kid's quad really moves.

Quick Reply: kids quads