The light in a kid's eyes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002 | 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

You guys know it's just not the Dads that aquire that special place in kids eyes, Moms do too. (Cuz I'm one of those Mom's that love to ride) Alot of great memories and friendships are formed with atvs. Our whole family rides together which means Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters, Cousins and who everelse would like to join this crazy bunch lmao.
I've seen so many bonds made out on the trail, it's really something to see a 74 yr old grandpa in the mud hole with his grandsons and having just as much fun as them!!
I always think of the memories that my boys will have of their childhood. Someday they will be sitting in rockers on a porch somewhere and look over and start to giggle at each other because of something that happened when they were little on an atv.
It don't just make the bonds between parents and childern stronger but also between everyone. Husbands-wifes Brothers-sisters cousins, If you ride in a group you know what I mean.
I work at the highschool here in town and see alot of kids that don't have parents that are involved with them, it's sad to see but you can always tell which ones they are. Involved kids are socially a better kid and they are more secure in what they are and who they are. I'm not saying that both parents have to atv but as long as one of em are out having as much fun thats all that counts.
My heart swells evertime I ride in the back of our group, which usually numbers 14 at the least. I see this group of people that is out enjoying each others company and the beauty of the outdoors. I see the younger ones riding by the older ones just to be by them. I see the pride in the Grandparents eyes when they look around and see their whole family together and it's not even a holiday!!
And the best reason for riding in back is so I can see everyone else's screw-ups and no one see's mine lol. Also I'm a come from behind mudder so if your in front of me you're going to get nailed!!!!!
Thanks people for letting me voice myself
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2002 | 02:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well, here's an update. I got a call several days ago from my ex wife and she told me the quad wouldn't start. It was also making a wierd whining noise from the electric starter. This Wednesday, I drove over to their house picked up the quad and drove to the dealer I got it from to have the starter fixed. The reason why the quad wouldn't start was because it was flooded. My ex got a new battery for it (nice of her). It kind of upsets me that now the kids have nothing to ride because their father (me) forgot to put new bearings in the starter when he replaced the brushes. Oh well, there will be plenty of riding opertunities this spring and summer.

Old 03-08-2002 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Whenever mine won't start, I check the kill-switch. Kids have a way of knocking it off-center and then we don't know what's wrong. First time it happended to me I spent hours in the hot sun trying to start it. It was in the pre-recall days of the 450ES and the battery had gone dead so I had to use the recoil starter. I discovered swear words I didn't even know I knew. I finally towed it up to the garage, pushing it the last 40 yards uphill because I couldn't tow it accurately enough to clear the gate. Boy was I mad and hot. Then someone on the forum suggested I check the kill-switch. The expereience has come in handy twice since with the kids.

Old 03-09-2002 | 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

a frined of mine that iv hung out with since i was like 10 thats a few years old im 22 has a 7 year old son and i love the little brat lol im sorta like a part time mom since his isn't alive anymore saddly i got him a quad for his b day a new trx90 im rich but money could not buy the smile on his face and yes this boy can handle a 90 well he was just shakein with happness he thanked me like every time i visted for a month lol every time i was over there he was rideing alot of him with his dad on his 250x sure it was chokein the engine to death but it felt really great to see them play togther each haveing there own quad because of me i felt as if i need my good deed for the year hehe the 3 of us go rideing alot priceless i remember seeing my dad's truck pull up the driveway or more i rember what was in the bed he got me an atc 250es oo to relived that frist month it was like an overload of every good feeling you ever felt i only had to beg my mom&dad for a year to get me a ride lol and in all these years iv turnned into the biggest full on quad junkie u will ever meet in your life time and its been all about thrills and memories with frineds and frineds i made because of the sport and i wouldn't wanna live if i had to live without quad's in my life

Old 03-09-2002 | 07:34 AM
|
Pro Rider

Dr Rod,

The nice thing about Polaris is the fact that if you hit the kill switch, everything goes dead. The whole machine shuts off, it doesn't just kill the ignition like other quads. I knew that when they said the starter was making a funny (strange, not ha ha) noise they didn't have the kill switch on. I think the problem was that they were giving the machine choke when it didn't need it. Polaris machines run pretty rich from the factory and this machine is no exception. I had to adjust the idle mixture screw out quite a bit. They'll learn.

Old 03-09-2002 | 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

ATVs can be a great way for a father and son (or a mother and daughter for that matter) to spend lots of quality time together. My dad and I both bought quads when I was sixteen. It has been one of the best things we have done together. In high school none of my friends did anything with their dads, but my dad always came along for the fun. I rode alot with my dad and my friends. Dad loved it because he got to go out and play like a teenager again.

Now I'm a senior in college so we don't get to ride together much anymore. Thats why I decided to spend my spring break riding with my dad at land between the lakes. We are leaving tommorrow afternoon and I can't wait! I wonder how many other guys my age are excited about spending their spring break with their dad.

Old 03-16-2002 | 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there,
I remember when I got my first quad. It was for my 14th birthday and even though it wasnt the newest thing out there I loved it and rode it till it was to late to ride anymore that day. well now i'm 15 and own a yamaha blaster. I'm planing on getting a 250r or banshee in a couple of years or 1 year. well now me and my mom and dad own a yamaha blaster(mine), an lt160,which is the quad i started out with and that my dad now owns, and a yr 2000 beartracker which is my mom's. so anyway I just wanted to give the kids picture in this and to let all the parent know that a quad is a very good gift [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]