atvs are great for those with a disability

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was born with only half my legs[above knee]. I am 37. Igot my first 3wheeler at 12. I raced TT and Flat track from 84-91. I just trial ride now wife,kids and friends.If you know someone with special needs,tell them how much fun QUADS can be. If you ride with a disability,let me know. I have never met anyone like me.

Old 04-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I saw a guy at Little Sahara, OK with a missing leg. He rigged his rear break to the handle bars.
Here's a picture of the break set-up.

Old 04-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

I have my brakes set up the same way on my raptor.All Ihad to do to the gear shift was to raise it up.For some reason,I can't get all of the air out of the line[soft leaver]. All of my past quads been a little soft, but not this bad.My EX was tight.

Old 04-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I went to one of the BLM meetings when they were trying to close down Glamis. Many of the speakers were emphasizing what a great family activity off-road riding is. One dad came forward with his little daughter who had only one leg. He said "maybe she can't walk, but she sure can rip around on her LT-80". The dad was in tears, and so was I!

There is a guy I see now and then who rides an old 300 4X4. He has no left leg, so he has rigged a shift lever that he can work by hand. The setup seems to work pretty well.

Old 04-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

I helped a a wheelchaired guy at Silver Lake last year change his belt on a Scrambler 500 4x4!!!!

Definitely is an activity that everyone can enjoy.

Rainman

Old 04-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

Rainman that was nice of you to help out. I have a friend that rides with me most of the time that helps me out.I bet that man will never forget you.

Old 04-30-2002, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well here it goes....

I have had serveral accidents (military related) and am disabled now. To list a few: Crushed groin (reconstructed), Broke back (L3,L4,L5,S1), right leg amputated above knee. That's just the ones that affect my riding.

I dont ride sport quads. I am strictly utility rider. BUT i do ride it like one! I would recommend this sport to anyone with a ambilitory disability. It gives me great pleasure to be out in the country side where i could not, cannot, go otherwise. This sport, has helped me get some of the quality of life back that i lost. I am in LOVE with riding and probably rank right up there with all the other ATV nut'z out there. I dream, sleep, eat, and live...offroading. If the day comes that they say ATV's are band...it would be just like the gun that i carry...you'll have to pry it from me DEAD hands, or try to catch me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It is always nice to see others that are hear riding with disabilities.

"limitations are what we, ourselves, set. The only limitation is what YOU determine what you cannot do."

Jonathan

Old 04-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

Frogman I am glad to hear you are a big quad fan. If you ever want to ride at land between the lakes [KY] let me know I will show you around.Every time I see someone on TV riding a scooter, I think the enjoyment they would have riding an atv.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

A buddy I went to highschool with who also happens to be a neighbor is in a wheelchair now because of an sking accident, that is when his isn't riding his atv. I'm shure we will go riding once I have gotten mine.
Rader

Old 05-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

wow this is cool i too am a amp lost bouth feet below the knee and have been raceing for 5 or 6 years made it in a few magazines. i have never got lucky enuff to meet a fellow amp that rides as for my set up just rased the shifter and had a break peddle made for me works .
this years quad
http://dodgetrucks.org/photopost/data/44960064-med.JPG

Quick Reply: atvs are great for those with a disability