alky engines in a car and truck???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok if these enviormentalists are worried about our enviorment, dont you think that they would look in to putting alchol in a car engine. I mean converting a gasoline engine into a alky engine. It wouldent smoke as bad would it? But would it leave behind a terrible smell? And if there was a enviormental threat in doin that couldent you put a certain type of air filter in the cadilitic converters of the vehicle. The air filter wouldent last long, but hey you can buy new ones. And the "filter" would increase on the back pressure on the engine, and could cause harm to the engine.
And wouldent this help the farmers of america (correct me if im wrong" but isnt alchol produced by an american made substance. (barley). So if this idea was put into an engine wouldent this help both ways.

what are your thoughts? Rember this is coming from a 13 year old.

Old 08-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the downsides of alky: You burn twice as much as gas. If you get 20 MPG with gas, you could expect 10-11 with alcohol. Alky is VERY tempermental. If conditions aren't perfect, it runs roughly. Injection can cure some of this, but alky also won't run below 40 degrees or so. Alcohol condenses and draws moisture. This will cause rusting of the cylinder if it sits in the engine for a couple of days. I run gas through my engine and carb at the end of every day that I ride. Finally, since you run twice as much fuel through your engine as gas, you wash your rings twice as fast.

It won't make a good fuel for everyday driving.

Old 08-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've ran methanol ( racing alcohol ) in my race engines before and you will use twice as much fuel. It makes more power but isn't feasible for daily use. And I have to use a shot of gas down the carb to get it to start in any weather cooler than 60 degrees. I usually run gas through my car before storing it for the winter.