experienced dads, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002 | 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

My son started on an ATC70 @ 3-1/2. We had the throttle screw turned in over half the way from the start and left it 2nd gear. It didn't move to fast, so you could chase him down easy and take charge if need be. When he started riding it he could just reach the pegs, but had good control. After about 2-3 trips we started backing the screw out a couple threads till we hit the end. About a year later he graduated to an LT80, rode that for 3-1/2 years. Then a couple months ago @ age 8 he moved up to a (stock) Blaster that his sister had out-grown. If they can reach and operate the controls well, and you supervise them using good common cense there shouldn't be a problem.

Rude Dog

Old 09-18-2002 | 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

The Honda 90 is a bit on the big side for the real little kids, plus it is a shifter. On the other hand, if you get a 50 they can grow out of them real fast. I would suggest an LT-80, and turn the limiter up as he gets older and able to handle it (those little LT's can get out and move!).

Yes, there is the red sticker thing to worry about with 2-strokes. Nobody has ever checked us while riding, but word is there well be a crackdown starting next year. Also, the word is that they (rangers in public riding areas) are going to be checking noise levels.

Old 09-18-2002 | 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

in the liberal Los Angeles times...article

there are some other links to articles on the page.

Old 09-18-2002 | 05:58 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thank you all for sharing your experience with me and the others who will find this string informative. My son will be turning 3 in a month, and I will probably end up getting pre 1997 50/60/70cc cc quad. I want him to ride the quad not the quad to ride him.

Old 09-18-2002 | 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I think one of the most important things that everyone forgot to mention is get a good fitting helmet and a good set of riding boots for the kids. On the quads, the E-ton, Kasea, and other identical tawain quads are really nice. There are tons of upgrade parts for them and the only real difference in the 50's and 90's are the wheel/tire size and the cylinder. You could buy a 50 and later upgrade it to a really high performance 70 and also upgrade the wheel/tire size. Also I'm not positive on this but I believe you could take the same engine and upgrade later to a 90, up to a 110, by simply swapping the cylinder,head, and exhaust.

Old 09-24-2002 | 03:00 PM
|
Trailblazer

Well, parents. I did it. My first choice the pre-97 LT80, it sells so fast. And new ones are nice, but the red sticker in CA sucks. So many missed oportunities. I thought about a 50/60, he fits in it so well now, and I can see him outgrowing by next summer. So, I found a very good use TRX90. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I plan to place some-kind of wood block spacer for his feet as DAK61399 suggested. I know the bike is slightly oversized for him at this time. But it wasn't that much bigger than his cousin's Zinger. The bike will probably be more than he can handle at the moment. I'll keep him in sand under close supervision, and keep him in second gear. Later, I'll use communicators as Uncle suggests. I'm a little hesitant with using the throttle limiter. I want him to learn control, so i'll use killerkx327 advice.

He's got a good fitting helment, gloves, and googles. All I need is the boots.

Thanks for all the help.