Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Spectra...I agree w/ most things you said. The main reason I got a Diesel, is because I'm going to keep this truck til it dies. 350,000 engine life expectancy etc. If I wasn't going to keep it very long, there's no way I could justifty the cost. I only paid 3K more for my current truck than my '01 Chevy 1/2 ton. That thing costed 32K. I'm not brand loyal, but the DMAX and the Ford were more than I could afford.
Oh, when ever I fuel up the Diesel, I grab a towel there at the pump before I grasp the handle. Probelm solved.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I personally like the smell of diesel in the morning. But I use my truck in Diesel club events of various natures. And starting this year I will be involved in the new DHRA racing org. I use to be totally against them until I started reading more about them and then drove one that had been bombed. Now after owning one for a awhile I will never own another gas guzzler. I was also against Dodge vehicles until I bought one. I wanted the Cummins diesel and was afraid I would hate the truck that it's in. Not so. It now has 103,000 miles and has never been in the shop for anything. I can't say the same for any of the Chevies I've owned and I don't like the way a Ford drives. My truck was also about 3000.00 higher than it's gas counterpart when new. And will be about 10,000.00 higher than the gas truck when they both have over 150,000 miles on them. The 20+ mpg isn't bad either. My truck gets 20-22 mpg empty and will get 16+ when towing my 8000 pound trailer setup. And there are several Cummins powered Rams with over 1 million miles on them. Find me a gas burner with 1 million miles on the original engine with no rebuilds. They don't exist.

Old 01-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Dodge! Then you will have something you can tow a Ford with. I have a 1/2 ton 98 Dodge Sport with a cold Air induction, Throttle body spacer and Chip and I have no problem with the Lightning!

Old 01-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

I personally don't I have a real dislike for diesels, I think there are good uses for them,towing ,etc.. but some people think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I work for Chrysler and appreciate all the positive I hear about their products, I do impact testing now, and used to test drive. they ride a little rougher than other trucks , but I suspect that You the consumer will keep buying what you like NO MATTER WHAT. ps thanks for the profit sharing check I get this year![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Your welcome for the check. LOL I'm one of the guy's that thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I like the rougher ride. And they have more power than their gas counter parts with very little add-ons. You can add 300 horsepower to the Diesels with just minor additions to the truck. A blower or whipple supercharger will just barely get 125 horsepower on a gas burner and that is 4000.00 expense by the time you are finished. An average engine life of 350,000 miles and fuel mileage of 20 to 22 mpg isn't bad either. Besides you just have to love that sound of that mighty Cummins after you straight pipe it and change the air intake. Although if I was only going to be pulling a few ATVs I might just consider a gas burner of some sort.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Back to the topic...even though it's funner arguing the superiority of a Diesel over a gas engine; won't the Hemi be more available than the Furd?

Old 01-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

The Hemi will more available than the Ford Lightening but it won't outrun the Ford. The Hemi Ram is a big heavy 2500 or 3500 series truck that probably won't get very good mileage but is sharp as heck and will pull a couple of quads on a trailer just fine. I wouldn't look for it to get over 14 mpg on the highway though.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

They'll be offering the Hemi in the 1500....I believe you can order them now.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

they will also be offering the 505cube/500hp v10 inthe 1500. the hemi is a status symble. they built it, sold it and then bought it back(ed pink used to own it),you are only seeing the first generation of the return to hemis' the future looks good ,but I can't discus that (something about being FIRED). the curren't 5.7 hemi is something like 345hp and 355lbs torque, thats penuts to whats comming.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

OK...read this Lightning lovers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

"Five Hundred Uncoiled Viper Horsepower = Most Powerful Production Pickup Ever
ex • cess n. 1. action or conduct that goes beyond the usual, reasonable or lawful limit

Chicago, Ill., Feb. 13, 2003 - If it's worth doing, it's sometimes worth overdoing. So only Dodge could create the boldest, baddest and fastest full-size pickup ever, the Viper-powered 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10.

Taking its rightful place as the ultimate performance pickup, the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 brings a massive dose of Viper power to the performance pickup segment, with a class-demolishing 500 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque. Topping 150 mph in maximum speed and reaching 60 mph in approximately five seconds, Dodge has recalibrated all expectations for truck performance.

"The Dodge Ram SRT-10 may be the first halo truck, but trust me, this truck is no angel," said Wolfgang Bernhard, Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group. "The Ram SRT-10 is true to the performance ideals that created the original Dodge Viper: keep it simple and make it fast."

"There is no replacement for displacement," added Bernhard. "The Ram SRT-10 delivers its astounding performance in a way that only Viper owners will recognize, with an endless rush of torque."

The 500 Club
The numbers don't lie: the Dodge Ram SRT-10 is the most outrageous pickup ever. With 500 horsepower, 525 lb.-ft. of torque, 505 cubic inches and a 500-watt, ear-melting sound system, Dodge dominates in every category. Simply put, the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 is the new performance truck icon.

The Ram SRT-10's mayhem-making ability is delivered courtesy of the highest displacement engine in a factory pickup truck-the same 8.3-liter V-10 that powers America's ultimate sports car, the all-new 2003 Dodge Viper. The V-10's horsepower rating easily surpasses all other pickups - not to mention virtually every production sports car in the world.

"We set out to create the Viper of trucks and we delivered," said Jim Schroer, Executive Vice President - Global Sales and Marketing. "This is a unique truck - a low volume, over-the-top collectible that remakes the entire segment. In the performance truck segment, the Ram SRT-10 simply dominates the road - and proves once again that Dodge DNA runs true and deep."

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv