Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

I'm late to this show....I have a 93 Lightning...Powerdyne Supercharged. Its fun ride thats very competative with F-body camaros and mustangs. Cool thing is I can tow my Mustang to the dragway, (5000 lbs tow capacity), drop the trailer and let the wife race the truck to 13.5 @ 102 mph 1/4 mile times. Not so bad for a 10 year old daily driver. I also see new Generation 2 Lightnings at the dragway and they run anywhere from 13.8s (stock) to 12.8s (pulleyed blower and chipped), they can also tow 5000lbs...they're neat trucks!

The Dodge will be nice...we'll see how they run at the track....BUT remember.....a crap load of power doesn't always equal fast 1/4 mile times/quickness...hopefully I'll see one at the dragstrip soon, I'd love to see what they can do. For as much as they'll cost they should be fast...not your everyday Joe is going to be able to afford one...heck the Lightning is alot...and the Chevy SS is worse!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

check out the latest Sport Truck magazine.....new sporty Dodge Ram is JUICY!!!

Old 06-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine in the Harley Davidson truck is not the same as in the Lightning. It is a base 5.4L with no mods like the 5.4L lightning. The Harley Davidson is slower.

Dodge can do anything they want, and they will aways be number 3. Why, Ford and GM always has and always will build a better truck. Thats why all Dodges come with a Richard Nixon mask in the glove box, so you can take a friend with you.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

That must be why the new 6.0 diesel has made the national lemon list and Ford is loosing money this year. Stop by your local DHRA race or a major truck pull and see if Dodge Diesels are number 3. There are plenty of Dodge Diesels running 12s in the 1/4 that outweigh the Lightning by over 2000 pounds and still get better mileage. At the DHRA race in Bowling Green the quickest truck was a Dodge and it ran 10.93 at 123 mph. That's not bad for an oil burner. The quickest Ford on number 2 diesel is powered by a Cummins engine out of a Dodge. Go figure. He ran 11.99 a couple of weeks ago. You can't even get a Powerstroke to stay together long enough to run 11s. The rods won't take it. I personally wouldn't buy a gas burner from Dodge but I wouldn't buy a diesel from anyone else in the business. The Ford dealership techs even started their own website because of the issues with that POS 6.0.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Lets say Dodge(Cummins) got beat by a Ford(Powerstroke), well In my oppinion i dont think you should blame Dodge, you should blame Cummins. Cause Dodge dont make the Diesels as well as Chevy and Ford. Why don't the 3 make there own Diesels?

Old 06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Existing engines are going to be a much better option than designing their own. The Powerstroke is an excellent engine in it's 7.3 form. As is the Cummins 5.9. The Duramax/Allison hasn't been out long enough to know how they will do yet.IMHO Chevy tried making their own diesel and failed with the lousy 6.2 and the 6.5 wasn't a whole lot better. Hence you go with someone that knows their stuff. Money has a lot to do with it. I will never buy another gas burner regardless of the brand. And I like all 3 of the new diesels but I've had good luck with my Dodge as I now have 114,000 miles on it with the only failure being a fuel pump that I replaced in 25 minutes when the truck had 96,000 miles on it. No leaks. no power window failures, no nothing. If stuff started going wrong now it wouldn't bother me as the truck has been used like a truck. As for what the new Hemi trucks run I've seen 2 of them run 15.40s and some of the guys at Dodge truck world claim to have ran 15.20s which is believable depending on what altitude your racing at. My local track is close to 1200 feet so there will be an ET difference between my track and one at 250 feet. That's not bad performance but I can take a Cummins and put an Edge Comp box on it with a set of injectors and run high 13s and still get 20 mpg empty and 14 to 16 towing. The Duramax and the new 6.0 Ford will both run 14s with just a fuel/timing box. After that the mods are expensive. A good friend of mine towed with his 2001 Lightning. The use of Nitrous brought a quick end to 2 engines and he traded the truck off but it was running 7s in the 1/8 mile on the bottle and could still tow his racecar just fine.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

PADZZ-
yes, the svt cobra is very, very nice and very very quick....you ask "what ford car can compare to a viper?" i can very simply answer that...the ROUSH STAGES 1,2,and 3 and not to mention the COBRA R... car and driver, motortrend, and many other organizations seem to think so too...you go to FUN FORD WEEKEND in Febuary and March and you'll see 5.0's, ROUSH'S, COBRAS, GT'S and they're all doin anywhere from 6.5 to 11.0 on the 1/4... have you ever heard of JOHN GULLETT and his 5.0 in the PRO 5.0 FIELD? that sob had that mf'er doin a 6.2! I'll give dodge and the viper credit that they are indeed VERY BADASS...(but what do you expect, it's an AMERICAN CAR, and that's what we're known for as far as the vehicle industry goes) MY MAIN POINT IS, AND I ALWAYS END AN ARGUEMENT WITH THIS STATEMENT, IS THAT IF IT'S AN AMERICAN CAR, IT'S FINE BY ME (unless you're talkin about PONTIAC)

Old 06-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

SPECTA-
while I tend to like you alot for favoring FORD, and I definately do too, I must correct you on your statement about the Harley Davidson F-150...you said that the engines are different, but in fact, they are the exact same engine in every way possible except for 3 THINGS: the placement of the intercooler, the length of the exhaust, and the pulley size...(the HD has a 3.22 inch-diameter pulley and Lighning has a 2.93 inch-diameter pulley....
You like Ford...NEVER CHANGE!!

Old 06-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

ZOOKYRIDR-

all I have to say to you is this: GO TO A FUN FORD WEEKEND AND GET YOUR FUGGIN HEAD OUT OF YOUR ***!!!

Old 06-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

ZOOKYRIDR-
forgot one thing...you should be slapped for saying that the Ford diesel is a Cummins, made by Dodge...where the F*** did you hear that shyt?

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv