Whats your opinion on the new Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2000, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this another one of Hondas marketing strategys like they done on the 400cc bike I mean face it fellows it even looks like a dressed up foreman. How many people think Honda is actually boring out the 450cc bike adding water cooling and I must admit sounds like a pretty nice transmission to it and charging $1200 to $1400 more. If honda really wanted to do something why didn't they add disc brakes to it, a 2 to 4 wheel drive lever so you could have put lockers on it or even equipped it with lockers from the factory and had real 4 wheel drive when you wanted it, and a choice of IRS or solid axle and this is just a few things it will be lacking...maybe it is just me but I just don't see how people can get so excited waiting for a foreman on steroids that don't have half the features of some of the other bikes on the market yet cost $1200 to $1400 more and yes I will be the first to admit honda has the best reliability but this is not everything. If someone can explain this I will surely listen the only conclusion I can come to is create a new bike hype dress up a foreman, don't add any extra items like a 4 wheel drive switch etc. meaning more profit for honda and charge $1400 more for it. It seems to me honda is more worried about making more profit than bringing out a bike with a lot of features for the money. And yes I do own a Polaris an Artic Cat and a 300 kawasaki and all of them have there short comings but just not so many...Looks like if Honda would have just added everything a sportsman has on it...wouldn't they be the undisputable king or at least gave you a choice but maybe that would have cut to far into the profit range. And I know I am going to get some replys saying honda hater and such but instead of resorting to name calling just give me one good reason honda didn't add these items to there new machine. Don't you think Honda is going to lose a lot of sales to other bikes because of not adding any new features to there flagship bike oh sure there will be people who buy them to be the new kid on the block with the new toy but what happens after the hype is gone...if honda doesn't get there head back into the sunshine they are not going to be #1 long.

Old 04-07-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I personally do not have an opinion on it. I do know that it is an all new machine. The engine is not just a bored 450 engine. But until I actually see one or ride one, I have no opinion on it. And personally that is the way I think everyone should be. Hold opinions until you have an example in front of you. It is rather unfair to judge a book by its cover, or judge a quad before anyone even rides and review one.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I ride Polaris. So you can see this is MY unbiased thought on this on.

Old 04-07-2000, 09:05 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atving.... One has to admit, that the new tranny in the Rubicon, is nothing short of engineering genius.
There is no doubt in my mind, that Honda has spent a considerable amount of time, effort, man hours, and a pile of money to come up with this state-of-the-art piece of equipment.
You could very well be correct that the machine is a glorified Foreman, with not a lot of bells and whistles, but the fact remains that they needed a platform to launch the new drivetrain.
R&D, tooling, assembly line changes, and advertising & promotions, which are required to launch a new product, can easily equate to hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars.
Utimately, business is business, and on that note, the manufacturers have to recoup their investment to hopefully see a return on the dollar, within a given time period.
In conclusion, I'm sure that in the next year..or..so you will see new features added to the model in order to compete with the likes of the Traxter, and the SP 500.
......Just my opinion.....

Old 04-07-2000, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

So lurch is there some kind of rule where a person should keep quiet and not ask questions about an upcoming production...is everyone suppose to stay in the dark and not ask questions or views till the atv actually comes out...maybe this is your way of thinking but not mine and I really don't think my post was trying to pass any kind of judgement on the the Rubicon...
And R34 I applaude you on your post you different view on the matter has kinda got me thinking a different way concerning the cost or retooling etc. maybe this is just a stepping stone for the Rubicon. For all you narrow minded riders who attacked this post in the polaris forum you could learn a lot from R34 because a person is asking questions about a particular atv does not mean he is bashing...I mean really guys grow up...the suppression of knowledge is ignorance. I really am not a Honda hater I hope honda continues to improve upon the rubicon to possibly create the ultimate machine. Just wonder if you will be able to add lockers to the front end of it. That is one of the down falls of the AC I don't like, it has the switch for 2 to 4 but you can't add lockers to it.

Old 04-08-2000, 12:03 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atving....Owning a Quadrunner LT-F500, I myself could tolerate the limited slip differential (in which we both share) if I could have the 2wd/4wd switch that is included on the AC.
I guess it's not all that bad having the full time 4wd, but having the ability to switch, would add a little excitement.
Has having that particular front end, caused you problems on a regular basis ??
A friend of mine locked his Yamaha Ultramatic, and it has sure taken it's tole. Half way through a full day of trail riding, he is physically spent, from having to man handle the steering, as a result of the locker.

Old 04-08-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Atving, look deeper into the specs of the Rubicon. You'll see that it is an all new engine, with 4 valves. Suspension travel increase. Honda has spent a lot of money on their Hondamatic transmission, and they said right now it is even too expensive to put in smaller models, so that is probably why you don't see those nifty features on the Rubicon, to cut the cost since the tranny is so expensive.

Old 04-08-2000, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

atving...You don't have to get defensive here. You are correct when you say that that was my way of thinking. I clearly stated that in my reply. In case you missed it, it was when I said "This is my unbiased thought on this one." And I never said anything derogatory about you. You asked for opinions, and I just honestly gave my answer. I have no opinion on this machne until I actually see or ride one. If it bothers you that I do not have an opinion, then I am sorry.

Old 04-08-2000, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Honda has made that type of transmission since the 60's, it nothing new or an enginnering marvel.

Old 04-08-2000, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

atving,
If you've not noticed, if Honda can't set the standard and be the first with the technology, they will usually not follow anyone's lead.

In fact, that is their motto, "Follow no one." So don't look for a switchable 2 or 4wd option, nor the other things, except possibly the disc brakes, and when they bring them in, they'll probably be differnt, like anti-locks or something.

Old 04-10-2000, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

"IF" SOMEONE COULD GET ONE, WE STILL DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE. I THINK A "SHOW ME" ATTITUDE IS IN ORDER. THEY'VE HYPED IT UP, NOW PUT UP OR SHUT UP. WHEN SOMEONE GETS ONE THEY SHOULD CHALLENGE A RANCHER OR FOREMAN S/ES, THEN WE'LL SEE!!

Quick Reply: Whats your opinion on the new Rubicon