Tying one on -- onto a trailer this is

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

I noticed in the manual that they recommend hooking the straps to the racks and then compressing the suspesion slightly. I had remembered a debate on this some time ago where people thought that this was more likely to come loose than tying it down from the frame. I've noticed that, when I've put the straps on the frame, it does bounce a little on rough roads.

I would be interested in your opinions: tie-downs on racks vs. frame (i.e. above or below the suspension).

Also, do you put the hook directly on the rack/frame or do you loop the strap around and put the hook over the strap to form a loop?

Old 04-17-2000, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

When I trailer my quad, I push it all the way forward so my front tires are touching the front side. Then, I attach one end of the tie-down to the foot peg and the other end to the corner of the trailer. I just tighten the tie-downs and I'm done. My trailer has 3' sides all the way around.

Old 04-17-2000, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't towing over really gnarly cow trails or rocks, I wouldn't think it makes much difference which method you use, but if the terrain is quite rough, I believe anchoring the quad above the shocks & compressing them will definitely be more stable. I always anchor the front to the bumper bracket using a rag under the hook to prevent scratching. On the rear I tie down to the grab bar. If you reverse your tie downs so that you pull UP, rather than down, you get a lot more leverage on the straps, and sitting on the front or back helps too. I've taken my various trailers into some really rough country requiring 4wd & low range but the quads never move with this method.
BTW, don't leave your quad in gear when hauling it. Get a Velcro strap & wrap the front brake lever to the grip to further stabilize the bike.

Old 04-17-2000, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

The best advice I can give is only advice on the things that I do. I suggest getting ratchet straps rather than those pull straps. (1500lbs. are best for atv's) They will pull the springs all the way down if you want. I have pulled mine over roads that are really roughand never had a problem. Also, I put my through the frame rather than tie on to the racks.

Good hauling,
Chuck

Old 04-18-2000, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

i too recommend the rachet tie downs... another quick suggestion, though more money, several of my straps are ones that are made for the back of a boat. they have several layers, and due to this, they don't expand AT ALL when they get wet.

also, i tie down with the frame and the racks in different places, Has anyone bent a rack using it to tie down?

also, fyi, even if your only moving it 100 feet back to your place because the cops caught you, tie it down in the back of your truck. because if you don't, there's a chance your parking brake and being in gear won't work to keep it in, and it might go out the back of the truck... trust me on this, after sun. afternoon, i know what i'm talking about here... ha...

...happy trails too you...lalala..

-brian.

Old 04-18-2000, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

DrRod:
I also agree with using the ratchet type tie downs. They are a lot nicer to use, and hold much better than the normal pull through ones. As for how I tie them down, that's kind of difficult, so here's as short as I can get. I had to build a platform on top of my trailer, to fit both of them side by side. Basically, I run one strap to the trailer frame rail, around the axle, then across to the other side of the trailer frame rail. With the second strap, I go up around the front bumper, then down underneath, and across to the frame rail on the other side as well. I use two straps on each bike, and have had no troubles at all. I haul at least a hundred miles, one way, each weekend, and up through the mountains, over rough roads, and have needed 4 wheel drive on the truck twice now. Bikes haven't moved. I do keep them in gear though, with the parking break set.

One question though, somebody said not to keep them in gear. Why is this? Does it cause any damage to the machines? If so, I would appreciate the info, don't want to tear them up that way.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-18-2000, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haul my 4 wheeler around mostly in the bed of my truck, and I just drive it up against the front of the bed and then hook a pull strap from the floorboard to the front of the pickup bed. Since the 4 wheeler is already tight against the truck it doesn't move much at all. I bought my wife a 4 wheeler recently and had to get a trailer to haul hers, I just hook hers up the same way.
'98 3004wd- green with vamps,stick stoppers and tubular floorboards.
'00 3004wd-beige with vamps,stick stoppers and tubular floorboards.